Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WHAT is "eventing" ???

Well, the reason I ask (except now I'm just plain curious)... when I took Cloud to meet up with another rider, she rode Cloud a fair bit around the field, etc., through the water pool, and said she thought Cloud would be a super candidate for eventing based on everything she'd seen on her.

This wasn't an "evaluation" session by a professional, but this girl was so enthusiastic when she said it that now I'm curious.

What IS "eventing"??
Eventing(sometimes referred to as combined training) is an equestrian event in which the rider competes in three areas, dressage, cross country and show jumping. It's usually held as a three day event (3DE) but can also be a one day event.

They often show eventing on TV, very popular sport, especially here in New England. David and Karen O'Connor actually trained around here. Philip Dutton is another famous "eventer". My neighbor is the owner of Dover Saddlery, he has these Irish Sport horses that he uses for eventing and they are gorgeous!

Eventing horses are typically the cream of the crop as they are asked to be good at everyhing. I've been told that its an offshoot of cavalry testing which also required the horse and rider to be proficient in different types of riding.

If you want to learn more, do a search for USEA, United States Eventing Association.
<'\__~
_(( // ====

Thanks SB. It doesn't sound like something *I* would be up for, lol, regardless of Cloud. I am giving serious thought to taking some lessons -- mostly to improve my seat, which I know is 99.9% about as wrong as it could be. It may help my lower back some also, because it doesn't take much beyond a walk (and sometimes even that) to make lower back feel pretty delicate the next day. However, I would really like to see what my options are for Cloud in terms of training. I would LOVE for both of us to learn some dressage basics, for instance. Sounds like eventing is/could be fairly rigorous though. I also don't know if the woman who said Cloud would be a good candidate for eventing knows enough about it to be able to have an opinion. (She may, she may not. Only met her once.) If she is, and particularly so, then I guess my question would be... is there ever a situation where a rider doesn't have a horse, and teams up with someone who does, and the rider works with the horse and shows her? Not sure I'd want to even get near that, but just curious.
I ran around with a hunter/jumper stable for one year, and that was enough to convince me that over-fence is not my cup of tea, and my little Wimpy mare was a natural. So, it was, indeed me and not her! LOL! I can jump a low hunter course, though it's been years since I've tried anything like that, but I'm much happier running a set of barrels or poles[^][Wink]. I just could never feel the thrill of taking a horse over a jump, BUT I truly admire the ones who do. That year with that hunter/jumper stable gave me a tremendous respect for how much it takes to get a horse over a jump safe & sound... and how much courage it takes to do it.

OTW; Have you ever watched the equestrian events in the Summer Olympics? This is the cream of the crop of eventing. Like sbower said; it's a 3 part competition with the first part being dressage, followed by cross country jumping and then stadium jumping. That's why it's more commonly known as 3 day eventing[Wink].
"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
Also, The Rolex is a yearly 3DE that can take your breath away. Love the fact that the public is welcome to walk the course. The horses and riders are bold and awesome.

sbower - how cool that D&K O'Connor were in your neck of the woods.
We have a local breeder who crosses Irish TB with Perch's. Nice cross and usually very attractive horses.
Boots

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Tell me, and I forget. Teach me, and I may remember. Involve me, and I learn. – Ben Franklin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Truth is not determined by a majority vote.
- Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger
(Now Pope Benedict XVI)

quote:
Originally posted by Red Hawk

I ran around with a hunter/jumper stable for one year, and that was enough to convince me that over-fence is not my cup of tea, and my little Wimpy mare was a natural. So, it was, indeed me and not her! LOL! I can jump a low hunter course, though it's been years since I've tried anything like that, but I'm much happier running a set of barrels or poles[^][Wink]. I just could never feel the thrill of taking a horse over a jump, BUT I truly admire the ones who do. That year with that hunter/jumper stable gave me a tremendous respect for how much it takes to get a horse over a jump safe & sound... and how much courage it takes to do it.

OTW; Have you ever watched the equestrian events in the Summer Olympics? This is the cream of the crop of eventing. Like sbower said; it's a 3 part competition with the first part being dressage, followed by cross country jumping and then stadium jumping. That's why it's more commonly known as 3 day eventing[Wink].

RH, no I've never seen that. Do they cover it on TV? I would LOVE to watch that!
quote:
Originally posted by OnTheWay

quote:
Originally posted by Red Hawk

RH, no I've never seen that. Do they cover it on TV? I would LOVE to watch that!

They have in the past. I work when they are usually airing the olympics in the evening. Also, I don't have cable or satelite. I imagine there must be some 3 day eventing on them somewhere[confused2.
"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
RFD-TV has a five part series called "Inside Eventing" which is pretty good. It covers Karen and David O’Connor and some of their students.