Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Caring and Owning Horses
 Grooming and Health
 Mustang Trim/Natural Trim vs Traditional Trim
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

ILoveJoe
Clinician

USA
2499 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2009 :  11:53:53 PM  Show Profile Send ILoveJoe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Arenadirt, I am so glad you're benefitting from a natural trim as well. That is why this is a great forum, we all learn from each other.

Joe just had a trim today and is on a 6 week schedule again. His feet look so GREAT it is a relief. It has been so muddy so I don't have any pictures, but I wll try to get some soon to show how good his feet look.

The 'farrier' is amazed at how quickly Joe's feet grow. His stretched white line is getting smaller and smaller.

I also noticed on my post about the oats I said the horses were getting 80 oz! I meant to type 8 ounces, as in one cup. Joe doesn't get the sunflower seeds, he doesn't need the fat, but he and Rocky get ground flax seed with their oats. Hubby thinks Joe has lost weight, but from one day to the next you can't tell, he is just so fluffy with his winter hair.
Go to Top of Page

Montezrider
Clinician

USA
1284 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2009 :  11:35:44 AM  Show Profile Send Montezrider a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Yahoos Equine Cushings group is very informative about IR and Cushings. They have an emergency diet that you can start your horse on that has really helped many horses. The amount of info available there is amazing, and takes a while to get through, but well worth it if you suspect IR or Cushings. I have had to change Montes diet up a bit. Senior feeds are just too rich for him and he was going lame. He now gets Purinas Wellsolve WC, and it has made a big difference, and he is losing some of his haybelly too.

A good rider has a thinking mind, fine emotions and a sensitive hand.-Tu Yu,72 BC

Go to Top of Page

ILoveJoe
Clinician

USA
2499 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2009 :  1:28:46 PM  Show Profile Send ILoveJoe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
An update with Pic's.

Joe's feet continue to grow at a surprising rate.

His feet however look very good. I am so pleased and his stretched white line is getting smaller and smaller each visit.

Their feet were trimmed on the 31st and here are some before and afters.

Joe 8/08

Joe 3/09

RB in 10/08

RB 3/09

RF 10/08

RF 3/09

LB 10/08

LB 3/09

LF 10/08

LF 3/09

Joe is back on a 5 week schedule because of the fast growth of his feet. I reminded her that June is usually when the breaking and chipping occurs. I am pretty confident that with this trim he won't be doing any of that nonsense. Well see.

Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2009 :  8:23:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another great set of photos ILJ. What an improvement!!.

I hope you gave the Natural trim farrier a good tip.

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

horsehugger2000
Advanced Rider

USA
493 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2009 :  06:03:57 AM  Show Profile Send horsehugger2000 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
His feet are BEA-UTIFUL Colleen

Wendi
Wendi's Riding Log

Go to Top of Page

killybean907
Clinician

USA
1082 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2009 :  01:16:33 AM  Show Profile Send killybean907 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very distinct before and after pics! You have a great farrier.

It's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years.
Karen-Anchorage, Alaska
Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2009 :  06:35:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the pictures Candice. Did you happen to get a shot of the bottom of Snicker's foot after the trim.

Joe is fortunate to have her working on his feet. When are you going to start doing them yourself?

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

ILoveJoe
Clinician

USA
2499 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2009 :  09:00:48 AM  Show Profile Send ILoveJoe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hook

Thanks for the pictures Candace. Did you happen to get a shot of the bottom of Snicker's foot after the trim.

Joe is fortunate to have her working on his feet. When are you going to start doing them yourself?

First I don't have the back to trim feet. I would be stuck bent over in pain after the first hoof.

Edited by - ILoveJoe on 11/19/2010 1:02:17 PM
Go to Top of Page

Montezrider
Clinician

USA
1284 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2009 :  10:28:17 AM  Show Profile Send Montezrider a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Great pictures, Candace! This is such an important topic for us as horse owners, thank you for sharing with all of us.

I love the kitty paperweight! My back isn't the best for this kind of work either, when I spend a lot of time scrubbing out Montes feet, I can feel it the next day. However, I've started practicing yoga and I'm telling you, the difference is amazing!

A good rider has a thinking mind, fine emotions and a sensitive hand.-Tu Yu,72 BC

Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2009 :  05:47:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the pictures Candace. (Say thanks to Jesse for us too).

I bet Beth is a pretty busy Farrier.

Hook(ed)......on Horses

Go to Top of Page

ILoveJoe
Clinician

USA
2499 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2010 :  09:58:31 AM  Show Profile Send ILoveJoe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hope everyone is having a good 2010 so far. I miss everyone.

I need to catch up with everyone soon, in order to try to manage some unexpected debt I have taken a management position at work and am working long crazy hours. I try to jump on and read whenever possible but I never seem able to write a post. I have a few minutes before work this morning....

Joe and Rocky's feet look very good. Unfortunately I am unable to use Beth any longer so I am in the market for a new farrier. Her cost is almost double what I had been paying and I wanted to go to a 12 week schedule until my finances improve and she refused to accomodate me through this tough financial time saying 6 weeks is the longest period she is willing to go. However when I first started using her and hubby had issue with the extra expense, she offered to put Rocky on the every other trim cycle and for several trims he was done every 10 weeks. I am trying not to have hard feelings about that.

I may have to invest in a file and try my own hand at trimming!

This leads me to the question:

How many forum folks (I know Hook does) trim their own horses feet and should I fear trying it for myself?

Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2010 :  07:18:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ILoveJoe

I hope everyone is having a good 2010 so far. I miss everyone.

I need to catch up with everyone soon, in order to try to manage some unexpected debt I have taken a management position at work and am working long crazy hours. I try to jump on and read whenever possible but I never seem able to write a post. I have a few minutes before work this morning....

Joe and Rocky's feet look very good. Unfortunately I am unable to use Beth any longer so I am in the market for a new farrier. Her cost is almost double what I had been paying and I wanted to go to a 12 week schedule until my finances improve and she refused to accomodate me through this tough financial time saying 6 weeks is the longest period she is willing to go. However when I first started using her and hubby had issue with the extra expense, she offered to put Rocky on the every other trim cycle and for several trims he was done every 10 weeks. I am trying not to have hard feelings about that.

I may have to invest in a file and try my own hand at trimming!

This leads me to the question:

How many forum folks (I know Hook does) trim their own horses feet and should I fear trying it for myself?

10 weeks between trims is too long for our horses with our footing conditions. Most bare foot trimmers suggest every four to six weeks and this year I am going to try for a minor touch-up and trim every three weeks.

I would think that if you followed the outline in Pete Ramey's book you should be able to keep their feet in pretty good shape by using the hoof rasp every two weeks or so if you start just after a good trim.

But you should have someone that can check to make sure you are doing it correctly.

When I started trimming / shoeing our horses I worked on my horse and the farrier gave me feed back when he came to do the others. This might be a solution for you. Do Rocky your self and have Joe done by the farrier with feed back until you are confident that you have the technique right.

Hook(ed)......on Horses

Go to Top of Page

EZ2SPOT
Clinician

USA
3785 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2012 :  8:07:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit EZ2SPOT's Homepage Send EZ2SPOT a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just thought I'd mention it...I've been using a barefoot trimmer for about a year and a half now, and, a few weeks ago during the Ladies Ride, was able to ride Warsong barefoot with no boots, on some pretty rocky trails. She did fine; just a little chip here and there, and absolutely no sole bruises. Trish, the barefoot trimmer, was very pleased.

I can remember taking Warsong to MTR and having her feet break off just from being led on the gravel road in front of my campsite! So this is huge, really.

Trish says the secret is in finding the correct balance for the hoof, and that it is different for each horse.

EZ2SPOT
Go to Top of Page

ILoveJoe
Clinician

USA
2499 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2014 :  11:56:27 AM  Show Profile Send ILoveJoe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just an update on Joe and Rocky's feet.

Boy times change!

The Natural Hoof care person who I was so gung-ho about started leaving flares on Joe and letting Rocky pull his feet away whenever he wanted and really started him on a bad behavior I did not agree with and still deal with on occasion.

Since her I have gone through three others until I decided to switch back to the traditional farrier type. I am now using a young man who trained under my original reliable farrier but this young man spends a bit more time filing and rounding so Joe's chipping doesn't reoccur even in the summer time with all the fly stomping.

This young man has gone above and beyond in his continued training and certification.

VERY HAPPY.
I'll have to remember how to post pictures and see if remember my photobucket account password!
Hope everyone is doing well!
Candace

Go to Top of Page

Colleen
Trainer

Canada
940 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2014 :  4:32:21 PM  Show Profile Send Colleen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow this was a very interesting read. There always seems like so many choices and decisions to take and I guess its different for every horse. You just have to do whats b est for you and your horses.

Colleen who hopes to have a horse soon.

The air of heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears -- Arabian proverb

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000