Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Caring and Owning Horses
 Grooming and Health
 Ulcers
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

barrelracer1163
Groomer

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2017 :  3:50:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit barrelracer1163's Homepage Send barrelracer1163 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ulcer Warning Signs

Studies show that a high percentage of horses that travel frequently, are stalled frequently, or consume high levels of grains. High performance horses are at a higher risk of having ulcers. In mild cases of ulcers, the symptoms can be so minor you donít even notice. More severe cases are much easier to identify.

Signs of ulcers:
weight loss
acting up under saddle
cinchy, biting
not able to touch the stomach
teeth grinding
bad attitude
cribbing
high anxiety
loose stools
poor hair coat

Some signs of ulcers can be easily confused with saddle fitting issues. The only sure way to know if your horses has ulcers is to have their stomach scoped by a veterinarian. Your horses stomach needs acid to digest food. They can produce up to 9 gallons of acid per day even when not eating. It is recommended to decrease the high levels of grains your horse is consuming and increase the amount of roughage per day. Using a slow feeder to feed you horse hay helps prevent waste, along with keeping your horses eating all day long and maintain a low acid level in the stomach.

There are many great supplements on the market to help prevent ulcers or help your horses that have ulcers. Ask your trusted veterinarian what they recommend.

Rachael, Sales Expert @ HorseSaddleShop.com

PaintGal
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
5298 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2017 :  09:37:28 AM  Show Profile Send PaintGal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My boy had ulcers several years ago which were discovered during a scope at Purdue. I feel certain they were caused by pain from a bean that was missed during a sheath cleaning. Joe never seemed to lose appetite nor weight but showed colic symptoms.

My vet has a generic omeprazole which is pricey but much less than the name brand stuff. After a month of treatment and bean removal, the ulcers were gone. I give a preventative treatment if he has an abscess.

Ulcers are much more common than many people think and IMO, treating for ulcers isn't a bad idea anytime a horse is "off" regardless of a confirmed diagnosis.

Karen ~ Trails
&
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."

~~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

barrelracer1163
Groomer

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2017 :  10:29:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit barrelracer1163's Homepage Send barrelracer1163 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I completely agree! It is a very common issue in horses! My vet prescribed Ranatidine to mine, but I may look into a generic Omerprazole. Do you happen to remember how much it was? Thanks for the info!

Rachael, Sales Expert @ HorseSaddleShop.com
Go to Top of Page

PaintGal
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
5298 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2017 :  10:05:14 PM  Show Profile Send PaintGal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I found this old post that has pics of Joe's ulcers before and after treatment. He also had bots as a result of not worming because of mysterious symptoms which may have been the result of an enormous bean that I had missed which caused urinary problems which caused the ulcers! I didn't want to worm him until I knew what was causing is colic like symptoms.

At the time I treated Joe for ulcers, it was $15 for a 2 day dose. I've gotten some since that was a bit different but seems like it was $25ish for 2 days treatment or 4 days preventative.

Karen ~ Trails
&
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."

~~~~~~
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000