Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Discussions
 Trails
 Very Rugged Experienced Rider Trail!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

PaintGal
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
5298 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2017 :  10:54:53 AM  Show Profile Send PaintGal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been riding quite a bit but thought y'all were getting tired of the same pics of horse butts and trees so haven't posted for a while. We rode about 16 miles yesterday and did a loop that we did last fall. I think I probably posted pics of it then but here are more! Susan is riding Bo, Wanda is on Banchee and I'm riding Wanda's horse, Willy.

It was an absolutely gorgeous day and a Saturday so there were a lot of riders out. We met several on way out.

It was great to see so many enjoying their horses and the outdoors.

This sign just cracks me up! Green horses and green/scared riders or Flatlanders might have problems because there is about 3/4 of a mile of steep rocky switchbacks. The elevation drops almost 175 feet in that distance.

That's Susan in front of me and if you look to the right behind the pine trees, you can see part of Wanda & Banchee.

Another switchback.

Here is a short vid of that area:

https://www.facebook.com/karen.stephenson.79/videos/10206710297754422/?l=1871229895574721534

Thank goodness the water is running! The ponies needed a drink after that. This is Wanda on Banchee. Banchee is a Kentucky Mountain Horse and is ... H.U.G.E. He has to be at least 16.2 hands and I bet he weighs close to 1500 lbs. He's a bit heavy but not by much. He's just BIG but such a sweetheart. Not a mean bone in him.

These are small but steep hills and if you are in water, there is only one way to get out and that is back up:

The good news is that most times when you get back down, there is more water! This pretty creek let us ride down it a way before it was blocked.

We took a trail...legal even... that isn't used a lot (we found out why but it was still FUN!). Remember how big Banchee is? And Wanda is tall so they sometimes hit things that others don't. In this case they got tangled up in wild rose (hate that stuff) and Banchee had it stuck in his forelock, mane & shoulder. Wanda had thorns stuck in her leg. It was a lot of noise coming down and dragging after Banchee but he was great. Stood still and we got Wanda off then got him cleared.

After the rose bush incident, the trail crossed the creek a couple of times and then we started climbing. The trail was passable but had eroded so there was a ditch down the middle in some areas. Willy slipped off the high part and landed on his knees and hip in the ditch and up against the other side. Fortunately, he got his balance, I stayed on and we didn't have lasting damage! It does go under the "Pucker File" though!

The shortest way home is back up that rocky steep trail which is what we did!

We're almost back to Susan's barn!

It was a wonderful day and made more so by such wonderful friends and good horses. I am blessed.

Now...it's somebody else's turn!

Karen ~ Trails
&
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."

~~~~~~

tenderfoot2
Tenderfoot

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2017 :  02:44:01 AM  Show Profile Send tenderfoot2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wish I had been with you!

Beth Blay
Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6111 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2017 :  05:42:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looks like fun but a bit too rugged for this flatlander!

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000