Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Discussions
 Trails
 More Trail Pics
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

PaintGal
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
5300 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2017 :  9:41:31 PM  Show Profile Send PaintGal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We had another great ride today and saw something we've been missing for a long time.. THE SUN! The forecast called for highs near 60 and for once they got the temp right. It was almost too warm for the horses and their winter coats.

Three of us rode today.

Susan and Sparky gittin 'er done!

Taking advantage of the creek:

Lots of hills!

Sparky gets a cookie!

Finally patches of blue sky and the SUN!

Wanda and Willy look good in the sunlight!

There was even a sun ray on our way back.

Karen ~ Trails
&
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."

~~~~~~

PaintGal
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
5300 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2017 :  2:50:18 PM  Show Profile Send PaintGal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello?

Isn't anyone else riding?? C'on peeps, post your pics. Tell us where you're riding!

Karen ~ Trails
&
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."

~~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

kris
Groomer

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2017 :  8:22:35 PM  Show Profile Send kris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What type of saddle are you using? I'm saddle shopping and looking for recommendations on an endurance saddle.
Go to Top of Page

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2017 :  10:33:48 AM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PaintGal

Hello?

Isn't anyone else riding?? C'on peeps, post your pics. Tell us where you're riding!

Not me, though I've thought about it with the super high February temps we've been having of late. It's in the upper 50sF today, but raining like crazy. I heard we got about an inch last night! Not complaining too highly about the rain though. Rather have that than snow. I read somewhere that 1" of rain equals 8" of snow.

On the other hand, we haven't had enough snow cover or freezing temps this winter to help kill off the bugs for the summer. Could be a buggy summer ahead of us.

Anyway--back to winter trail riding:
One reason I don't do it is because of my horse sliding down frozen hills. Even if it's muddy on top, there can be frozen ground an inch or two below it. The thing is I trail rode on trail conditions like this and when I got back to the trailer I found blood dripping from my horse's back legs. both back legs were skinned above the fetlocks. No doubt in my mind this happened from frozen ground when he had no choice but to slid down a hill or two.

The other reason I don't winter ride is because I got tired of numb toes and fingers that hurt when they thawed out. That goes for my nose on occasion too. Call me chicken and even lazy, but I'll wait for better weather.

PG I think it's wonderful that you and your group get out and ride. I truly tip my hat to you at your courage and tenacity. Here's to many more wonderful rides for you guys in between now and when those nice spring temps return. You go girl!

Ginger

"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Mrs Hook
Trainer

Canada
862 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2017 :  6:22:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mrs Hook's Homepage Send Mrs Hook a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not riding either. I haven't been for quite a few months now. Cruiser is just big, fat, furry and lazy. I'm think he is enjoying it.

Profit, well, he says he is no longer a riding horse, period. He passed the saddle along to Cruiser and he is finished hauling my butt around.

Mrs Hook's Riding Log

Go to Top of Page

PaintGal
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
5300 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2017 :  8:43:30 PM  Show Profile Send PaintGal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kris

What type of saddle are you using? I'm saddle shopping and looking for recommendations on an endurance saddle.

Kris,

I don't know what happened to my post but I thought I answered your question!

I have a Steele Plantation with >>gasp<< English rigging. I've replaced the irons with trail glide stirrups. It's very comfy and secure saddle with the 5" cantle.

The gal on the sorrel rides in a Tucker Endurance and it's a lot heavier than mine. It has western fenders & tapaderos. The lady on the black rides in a Tucker with English rigging.

Check out HorseSaddleShop and their selection of endurance saddles.

Good luck with your decision! Let us know what you decide.

Karen ~ Trails
&
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

~~~~~~
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000