Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Creative, fun and entertaining
 HAA, GTA and others....
 The rare DOUBLE GTA!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

puddleplasher
Clinician

USA
1296 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2016 :  12:03:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit puddleplasher's Homepage Send puddleplasher a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not often, but it happens. Hot dry summer, grass was crackly and slippery, and Bo's back legs just slid out from under him at a canter.

Slow motion fall, and the photo I saw from the audience angle makes it clear he's looking for me and making sure he doesn't roll onto me. Got my legs tucked up for the same reason. We sat out the rest of that show since it felt like Bo might have strained something in a haunch, and we just stood around for the afternoon show acting as the Marshal of the Field, but Bo HATED just standing around while others were jousting, so we were back at it the next day.

'plash

Pepper sez: "Don't forget the horse!!"
'Plash's Ride Log

PaintGal
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
5300 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2016 :  12:05:21 PM  Show Profile Send PaintGal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
WOW!

1. What a great pic!

2. Glad you and Bo were okay!

Karen ~ Trails
&
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."

~~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

Mrs Hook
Trainer

Canada
862 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2016 :  3:16:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mrs Hook's Homepage Send Mrs Hook a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A scary moment, glad everyone is ok.

Show us pictures of your saddle. That sure is interesting looking.

Mrs Hook's Riding Log

Go to Top of Page

appygirl
Clinician

USA
3211 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2016 :  5:03:23 PM  Show Profile Send appygirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Definitely some excitement for sure. Glad you were both ok. Great reactions from the onlookers, too.

When did you start riding g Bo? The last I remember, you were riding a lovely gray mare.

Appygirl

Man does not have the only memory,
The animals remember,
The earth remembers,
The stones remember,
If you know how to listen, they will tell you many things.
- Claude Kuwanijuma - Hopi Spiritual leader

Go to Top of Page

puddleplasher
Clinician

USA
1296 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2016 :  8:11:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit puddleplasher's Homepage Send puddleplasher a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I started riding Bo (friend's horse) when my lovely gray mare Pepper told me that she really didn't want to joust and was never going to go willingly in that direction. Bo loves to joust, and his previous temporary rider had just moved on, so it all made sense for me to start riding him in our shows. He and I have had some good times, I'll post pics tomorrow sometime. (Pepper and I still have trail adventures galore.)

'plash

Pepper sez: "Don't forget the horse!!"
'Plash's Ride Log
Go to Top of Page

BethAnn
Trainer

USA
864 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2017 :  2:56:15 PM  Show Profile Send BethAnn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really must visit one of the events that you do.

BethAnn Stewart
Palmyra,Indiana

Lovie-gypsy vanner
Lad- Clydesdale

Do not take up the warpath without a just cause and honest purpose. Pushmataha-Choctow leader
Go to Top of Page

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2017 :  3:56:29 PM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
First; I'm so glad that you and Bo are both fine and survived your mishap.

Second; I've had a close encounter somewhat like that myself and can sympathize sooooo easily.

Actually, I've had something like that happen twice. The first time I was running poles on my very first horse I ever owned, a Palomino by the name of Miss Wimp. I called her Wimpy. We were running the pole bending event at a small open show when I was young and fearless. Riding helmets were around back then but only for over jump classes and English pleasure classes and the like. Anyway, Wimpy and I ran down the line of poles, weaved the line of poles back, prepared to turn the end pole and... woke up on the couch at my Dad's house.

What happened!? After asking questions I found out the end pole fell over and smacked Wimpy on the butt. She reared, smacked me in the head, whirled on her back feet, and I went off smacking my head on the ground... out cold. Praised be we both survived just fine.

Then about two decades later there was the time I backed my gelding W.T. quite rapidly on slippery grass. I felt his back legs go out from under him and watched the saddle horn come at me with W.T. flipping over backward. Like Bo, W.T. twisted himself to the side. He still landed somewhat on me, and I felt the saddle horn hit my chest... but not nearly as hard as if W.T. hadn't twisted himself to the side. I bore a horn-shaped bruise on my chest for awhile after that mishap.

And that is a great action shot by the way .

Ginger

"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

ILoveJoe
Clinician

USA
2499 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2017 :  9:55:07 PM  Show Profile Send ILoveJoe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow!!

Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2017 :  05:39:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Glad everything turned out okay. Great photo, a moment in time captured forever.

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000