Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Caring and Owning Horses
 Grooming and Health
 Winter horse care
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2015 :  05:17:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tips for winter horse care as we move to the coldest part of winter.

http://americashorsedaily.com/winter-horse-health/

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson

Colleen
Trainer

Canada
940 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2015 :  07:55:51 AM  Show Profile Send Colleen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very informative. Would this be for horses that are left out all winter and or horses that are brought in?

Colleen who hopes to have a horse soon.

The air of heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears -- Arabian proverb

Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2015 :  05:29:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Colleen

Very informative. Would this be for horses that are left out all winter and or horses that are brought in?

The general principles apply whether horses are inside or out. Of course if you have a heated barn then the affect is not as large but still there.

Our guys get extra hay and some get extra grain in winter depending how well they are maintaining their weight.

Older guys get a blanket too if the cold seems to be affecting them too much.

Ours get turned out for about 8 hours every day and have the option of staying in the inside arena or going outside. They choose based on the weather.

Warm water in the water trough is a big hit and it is important for horses to have enough water in winter. A common colic problem is lack of water in winter because its just too cold to drink much icy cold water.

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson

Edited by - Hook on 02/02/2015 05:29:55 AM
Go to Top of Page

Colleen
Trainer

Canada
940 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2015 :  07:30:12 AM  Show Profile Send Colleen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info, around here there are a lot of horses always outside. A customer has Canadians and she said if she had it to do over again she would not build a barn because they prefer outside.

Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2015 :  8:58:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Colleen

Thanks for the info, around here there are a lot of horses always outside. A customer has Canadians and she said if she had it to do over again she would not build a barn because they prefer outside.

The easiest and cheapest way to look after horses is to keep them outside 24/7. There is nothing wrong with keeping horses outside as long as you provide proper shelter for wind and rain as well as the required nutrition with clean water at a reasonable temperature.

The challenges are to make sure each horse has enough to eat and providing grain and supplements.

In my experience almost all the folks who keep their horses outside do it because of cost and because it's easier and they rationalize that it is better for the horse. A free choice round bale just does not do it for me.

Any horse, given the choice will seek shelter in cold windy wet weather in winter and during the hot summer days shelter from the wind, rain and sun.

Hook(ed)......on Horses

Go to Top of Page

Colleen
Trainer

Canada
940 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2015 :  07:05:56 AM  Show Profile Send Colleen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with you for sure, how about if your horse gets hurt or needs to be kept quiet where would one keep them, even if you had a barn would the horse not be scared to be put in a stall if they never have before. They should have a choice. Sure wished you guys lived closer lol would be nice to have someone close with all your knowledge when I get a horse. You guys are a world of knowledge.

Go to Top of Page

walkinthewalk
Advanced Rider

USA
215 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2015 :  12:40:24 PM  Show Profile Send walkinthewalk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On a general scale, it's a good article but doesn't begin to cover "Special Needs" horses, whether they are younger or up in their elder years.

They are a whole nuther ball game that requires more thought, more money, and more vet involvement.

If I only did what the article suggests for my coming 29 yr old Arab, he'd've been dead three years ago and we live in the south where a frigid night means wind chills are taking us into the teens. With his issues, I'm not sure how he would survive the Plains states
Go to Top of Page

Colleen
Trainer

Canada
940 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2015 :  3:56:52 PM  Show Profile Send Colleen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You are right walk there are so many things to consider. What is someone rides a lot in the winter, would you ride your horse and then just leave it wet outside? I don't have a horse just wondering.

Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2015 :  05:02:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If someone rides a horse in cold weather hard enough to make it sweat they should cool it down before it is turned back out.

Most folks would use a wool undersheet to absorb the excess moisture and walk the horse until cool. A concientous owner would towel dry the rest of the way.

A sweaty horse should never be turned out in cold weather until dry.

Hook(ed)......on Horses

Go to Top of Page

walkinthewalk
Advanced Rider

USA
215 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2015 :  09:51:28 AM  Show Profile Send walkinthewalk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can count on two hands the times I rode in the winter. And if I would've brought a horse home "heaving" (even a little bit) at the sides, I would still be strung up at the hands of my grandfather. Mom would have wasted no time getting on the phone to him

I never showed, I was always a trail rider so the "go fast" thing never existed with me, even if the horse thought it wanted to. My horses generally heat their own selves up with all the prancin' and dancin' they did, the first five minutes out.

As Hook said, if I did bring a horse back to the barn that was too warm, there was a whole lot more cool down time involved than in the summer <----yet another reason winter riding wasn't worth the effort

Once I got old enough to have a good job, I never rode my horses in the winter because I bought a snowmobile and rode it --- I didn't always live in Tennessee, it's where I chose to retire
Go to Top of Page

Colleen
Trainer

Canada
940 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2015 :  10:39:19 AM  Show Profile Send Colleen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When I was in my twenties I always rode in the winter, nothing could stop me, but, the horse was not mine, I read an article about clipping your horse if you want to ride in the winter.

Go to Top of Page

fracturedbones
Clinician

3424 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2015 :  6:27:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit fracturedbones's Homepage Send fracturedbones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I gave Jake (fjord) a (really bad) trace clip yesterday for his winter care!!! He is a sweat ball on his chest just standing there...been a warm Feb...though 40s at night so getting a blanket.
I am lousy with clippers no matter how many videos I have watched!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000