Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Creative, fun and entertaining
 Poetry, Writing, Art & Photography
 The Eagle Looked at Me; Pic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2014 :  3:48:19 PM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Eagle Looked at Me

by Ginger Karns

The river flowed quietly beside where I rode the woodland trail.
Air caressed me with its gentle touch.
Sun made diamond twinkles on the water.

Something rode the breeze to almost kiss the river.
An eagle.
An American bald eagle.
A sight more precious than gold.
And only the second time I’d ever seen one in this place.

I guided my mare to the water’s edge.
The eagle landed in the tree not more than fifteen feet above me.
Our eyes met.

I dismounted for a better view.
The eagle’s gaze followed my every move.
Again and again I tried to see this rare sight more clearly through the foliage.
The eagle stayed perched and watched.

Time slipped by.
How much?
Maybe ten minutes? Fifteen?
And then eagle wings drifted this great bird close to the water only to arc around and away.
My lungs expelled my awe.

The eagle’s magic lingered.
And I tried not to move lest I lose that incredible moment of when... the eagle looked at me.

Not the greatest photo I know, but it was the best I could do.

That was only part of my magical ride I had last Monday. Once I left the river, it wasn't more than 30 or 40 minutes later that I watched a red tailed hawk land in a tree just up the trail from me.
This was deeper in the forest and away from the river. I tried to catch him on video but failed. Terra and I kept walking, and the hawk kept flying away only to perch farther down along the trail. This went on for quite a while before he finally flew off and into the forest.

To see an eagle along the Salamonie River this time of year is rare enough, but to be able to follow a hawk through the forest on the very same day (and so close together) is practically unbelievable. I'll treasure this moment forever.

"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown

Edited by - Red Hawk on 07/28/2014 10:17:23 AM

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2014 :  07:01:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like your poem Ginger. And thanks for sharing.

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2014 :  5:07:33 PM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Hook. I was wondering if anyone even took notice. It's been way too quite around here, and I thought I'd try to liven things up a bit.

I know I keep saying it time and again, but I sure hope this forum doesn't dry up and blow away. It's really hard for anyone new to the forum who comes on here looking for help, and they're lucky to get any response at all.
That's sad ... very sad indeed .

"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Termite
Advanced Rider

369 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2014 :  10:51:39 PM  Show Profile Send Termite a Private Message  Reply with Quote
RH

I have looked a couple of times. Bet you will remember
that ride for a long time. Have never seen a Bald Eagle
in the wild myself. Keep posting.

Termite
Go to Top of Page

EZ2SPOT
Clinician

USA
3785 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2014 :  12:27:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit EZ2SPOT's Homepage Send EZ2SPOT a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds like you had a wonderful ride! Although I've never seen a bald eagle here in Indiana, I did see one while on vacation in Colorado last month! It swooped right across the trail in front of us! Would love to see one here!

EZ2SPOT
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000