Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Saddle and Tack Topics
 Discussions on Fitting Saddles to the Horse
 Saddle fit questions
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

kathyk
Tenderfoot

6 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2014 :  09:43:23 AM  Show Profile Send kathyk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi all. I'm new to this forum and hope you can help with a saddle fit question (or 12 )
I have this old saddle that I think is too narrow, and has no padding left in the seat. When I measure inside the conchos, it measures a bit over 6". When I try the templates, it looks like she needs FQHB. What do you all think?

Wide-full
Semi-med

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2014 :  10:01:33 AM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Kathy and welcome to Daily Equine. Sorry that nobody has replied to your posts, and I'm not talented enough to answer your questions. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable on that subject will come forward to help you out.

But meanwhile; I'm here to say hello, and don't get discouraged with the slowness of replies. Ever since the Saddle Shop has gone on Facebook, everyone seems to be gyrating there for conversations than here. I'm one of the few that refuses to go on FB strictly for my own reasons. But if you're already on FB, you might want to check things out there instead of here. A lot of the regulars may not check in here only once a week. So do check back and see if there's been any replies to your queries.

We're glad you're here. Honest.

"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

kathyk
Tenderfoot

6 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2014 :  09:32:40 AM  Show Profile Send kathyk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks. 52 views and no replies. Hopefully the experts will comment.
Go to Top of Page

SaddleExpert
Administrator

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2014 :  9:18:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit SaddleExpert's Homepage Send SaddleExpert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kathy,

Your saddle looks too tight. The templates do seem to indicate a wide or Full-QH Bar size would be best. The horse looks thick.

Anymore, a lot of horses are needing the wide or Full-QH Bar size.
You want bar contact and don't want it too wide but being too tight can cause all kinds of issues for your horse.

We have a number of saddles in various price ranges in the wide or Full-QH Bar size on our website - www.horsesaddleshop.com.

Please let us know if we can get anything for you.
Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6111 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2014 :  07:20:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From the templates she does need a wider saddle, probably FQHB.

The saddle you have looks like standard quarter horse bars and actually does not appear to fit too bad by itself. A thicker pad, like you show, effectively makes the saddle even narrower in the gullet so that makes the fit even tighter.

My horse Hookie has a wide back and narrow withers so I use a thick pad to effectively make the gullet smaller and still have the flatter back of the FQHB saddle.

Sorry for the late reply. The Forum as Red Hawk says has not been very active with most of the members transitioning to Facebook.
I normally get notification when someone posts but not this time for some reason. I will check that out and in the meantime please feel free to ask away and we will do our best to help.

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6111 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2014 :  07:23:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message  Reply with Quote
YOu might also check out the information in this post if you haven't already.

http://www.dailyequine.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4030

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000