Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Creative, fun and entertaining
 Poetry, Writing, Art & Photography
 My girls
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Montezrider
Clinician

USA
1284 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2014 :  11:46:53 AM  Show Profile Send Montezrider a Private Message  Reply with Quote

A Dumb Cluck’s Point of View

Gallus gallus, your bright eyes
love the things that I despise
spiders with their bristled legs
you eat, then lay my breakfast eggs.

Fleshy worms, slimed with dirt
for you are but a sweet dessert
and hopper’s whirring through the air
with wizened face and big-eyed stare
(I swear they aim straight for my hair.)

These creepy crawlies in the grass
once through your pointed maw have passed
become the most delightful things
from fluffy cakes to sweet meringues.

My little low and humble bird
I've learned to venerate your turd
when tossed upon the compost heap
come the Spring I’m sure to reap
most bountiful rewards.

And all because what I despise
is beautiful
in your bright eyes.

A good rider has a thinking mind, fine emotions and a sensitive hand.-Tu Yu,72 BC

Mrs Hook
Trainer

Canada
862 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2014 :  5:32:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mrs Hook's Homepage Send Mrs Hook a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Love the poem. I also like your pretty coloured chickens.

I really want to get some chickens. I just need to figure out a place to keep them safe.

Mrs Hook's Riding Log

Go to Top of Page

Montezrider
Clinician

USA
1284 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2014 :  5:59:18 PM  Show Profile Send Montezrider a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you. :) I am having a blast with my girls and there is no comparison when it comes to the taste of their eggs and store bought. Didn't someone on here raise chickens? ILoveJoe, I think. She inspired me to get my chickens. I built my little coop all by myself and it was fun to do. I'm hoping to build a bigger and better one next summer, then try actually raising some chicks.

A good rider has a thinking mind, fine emotions and a sensitive hand.-Tu Yu,72 BC

Go to Top of Page

PaintGal
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
5300 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2014 :  6:26:02 PM  Show Profile Send PaintGal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Love your poem! After having to gather eggs from a bunch of cranky hens as a kid, I've never wanted to deal with chickens as an adult. The different breeds are interesting though and no doubt, like with most home grown stuff, it's waay better than store bought.

Karen ~ Trails
&
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."

~~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

ILoveJoe
Clinician

USA
2499 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2014 :  6:36:48 PM  Show Profile Send ILoveJoe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I LOVE it!
Ironically my chicken coop no longer has chickens but most recently housed a feral cat AppyGirl named Cooper and last night a pair of black snakes were having an intimate moment there.
Your chickens look very happy and healthy and I miss the fresh eggs.
Go to Top of Page

EZ2SPOT
Clinician

USA
3785 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2014 :  6:04:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit EZ2SPOT's Homepage Send EZ2SPOT a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I loved the poem! Yes, the fresh eggs are the best...never did like dealing with chickens, though! Good luck with your venture, Monte, and thanks for sharing your poem!

EZ2SPOT
Go to Top of Page

Montezrider
Clinician

USA
1284 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2014 :  11:45:28 AM  Show Profile Send Montezrider a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks ladies. :)

PaintGal, I can't blame you there :).

ILoveJoe, I remember reading your stories about your chickens and rooster's. Always got a chuckle out of them and the 'freezer camp' references.

EZ, thank you for the good luck wishes! :)

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000