Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Discussions
 Trails
 The 2014 Ladies Ride!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

EZ2SPOT
Clinician

USA
3785 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2014 :  12:32:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit EZ2SPOT's Homepage Send EZ2SPOT a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The annual Ladies Ride was this past weekend at Blackwell Horse Camp. This was my first one without RH, who stayed home to nurse Steve through a cold. The weather wasn't that great on Friday, so I kept debating with myself as to whether to go or not! I finally decided that since I was all packed, even the food, I might as well go.

I got to Blackwell early Friday afternoon, and everyone was already out riding (yes, in the rain!), so I set up camp and later rode Warsong around the campground for a bit. I did try to go a short distance out on the trails by myself, but Warsong isn't used to being ridden alone, and wasn't very cooperative.

Saturday was dry, but cool. I didn't think it was actually THAT cold, but people were huddled around in their winter coats, earmuffs, and blankets over their laps, so...well, anyway, I found someone else who had also come alone, and we had a nice 3 1/2 hour ride to Martin Hollow and back.

The pitch-in dinner was great, and I had fun picking something out at the gift exchange.

Ge Ge dropped a bombshell, though; she said this was going to be her last time to organize the ride, and that she was passing the torch to Kim Humphries, who owns Midwest Trail Ride. I'm not sure how what is going to change things.

Sunday, I couldn't find anyone who wanted to go on just a short ride, so I packed up and came home. Although not much riding was done, I did have a good time.

The only thing missing was RH, and several people asked about her. I missed my riding pard!

EZ2SPOT

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2014 :  2:55:43 PM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was wondering if you go, EZ, and glad you had a good time. 30s at night with no heat is just a bit too cold for me.

Steve (my husband for those who don't know ) is doing well after resting and taking it easy over Saturday and Sunday. What he has isn't fun. I'd been fighting it for two or three weeks now, and him having COPD was scary enough for me to stay home just in case he got worse.

Friday was wet and cold. So we drove up to Shipshewana for the day. Too bad two out of the four stores I wanted to visit were closed. It was nice just to get away for awhile just the same.

Saturday I took my native American flutes and had fun at the timeline event at Old Fort Wayne, which is a frontier fort modeled after the last fort by that name. There were eras of history depicted from medieval times to WWI. Lots of vendors and crafts on display with activities going on in the fort itself. I had a great time playing my flutes and chatting with re-enactors. Learned a bit about certain eras of history too.

Sunday, since I didn't go to the Ladies Ride, was spent at the University of Indianapolis with my flute circle. What a blast jamming out with other flute players. I also got a couple videos if anyone is interested.

All the while I was thinking of Blackwell. Even with all I did I still missed something I've done for the last five or six years. Charles Deam Wilderness Area is a one of a kind place to ride like nowhere else in Indiana. Hopefully I'll make it next year .

"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

PaintGal
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
5300 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2014 :  7:18:08 PM  Show Profile Send PaintGal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
EZ, I'm glad you got to go AND ride even if it was just the one day. Was there a big crowd?

Karen ~ Trails
&
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."

~~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

EZ2SPOT
Clinician

USA
3785 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2014 :  7:46:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit EZ2SPOT's Homepage Send EZ2SPOT a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, I'd say there were at least 75 to 80 gals there! Some didn't come in until Friday night or Saturday morning. I think they were waiting to see how things went with the weather.

Not sure what is going to be going on next year. As I understand it, the activities are going to be at MTR. People can still camp at whichever place they want, Blackwell or MTR. I would rather have kept things the same. The Ladies Ride is the only time I camp at Blackwell, while already go to MTR at least once or twice a year.

EZ2SPOT

Go to Top of Page

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2014 :  11:09:51 AM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by EZ2SPOT

Yes, I'd say there were at least 75 to 80 gals there! Some didn't come in until Friday night or Saturday morning. I think they were waiting to see how things went with the weather.

Not sure what is going to be going on next year. As I understand it, the activities are going to be at MTR. People can still camp at whichever place they want, Blackwell or MTR. I would rather have kept things the same. The Ladies Ride is the only time I camp at Blackwell, while already go to MTR at least once or twice a year.

EZ2SPOT

I'm surprised with the weather conditions that many ladies showed up. Amazing!

When you said Kim was taking over the Ladies Ride, I was afraid she'd move it to MTR. I'm so sorry to hear this because the Ladies Ride was so special and different than riding HNF out of MTR. It just won't be the same at all if it becomes just another MTR Ride. Also It's going to cost more. That I don't like at all. I liked it much better when the only expense was the gas to get there and food for meals and the pitch-in. To tell the truth, if it changes too much I very much doubt that I will attend. I'm wondering how many others will feel the same way.

--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

EZ2SPOT
Clinician

USA
3785 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2014 :  12:23:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit EZ2SPOT's Homepage Send EZ2SPOT a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The weather wasn't that bad! Some light showers on Friday, none at all on Saturday, and absolutely beautiful weather on Sunday. And we have camped in colder weather, RH, though not for a while. Well, we shall see what the future brings!

EZ2SPOT
Go to Top of Page

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2014 :  1:41:52 PM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by EZ2SPOT

The weather wasn't that bad! Some light showers on Friday, none at all on Saturday, and absolutely beautiful weather on Sunday. And we have camped in colder weather, RH, though not for a while. Well, we shall see what the future brings!

EZ2SPOT

Oh I know the weather improved for Saturday and Sunday, but I'd set Thursday aside to pack for the trip and was too sick to do it. Friday night was supposed to have dipped into the 30s, and Saturday damp. I've done that enough in my younger days. I was thinking about going until I saw the predicted nighttime lows. No more camping primitive without any heat except for a campfire when it gets that cold .

--Robert Browning

-- Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

EZ2SPOT
Clinician

USA
3785 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2014 :  12:29:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit EZ2SPOT's Homepage Send EZ2SPOT a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had my Coleman ProCat heater with me, and turned it on for a little bit at night to warm things up, and then again in the morning about an hour before I got up. Although I didn't run it throughout the night, my sleeping bag kept me perfectly warm. I've had the heater for at least 7 years now, and it is one of the things that makes all the difference when primitive camping. That, and a battery-operated fan for when it is hot!

EZ2SPOT
Go to Top of Page

fracturedbones
Clinician

3424 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2014 :  1:41:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit fracturedbones's Homepage Send fracturedbones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am glad you folks are finally getting your spring and able to go out and ride!
Go to Top of Page

EZ2SPOT
Clinician

USA
3785 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2014 :  8:41:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit EZ2SPOT's Homepage Send EZ2SPOT a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, FINALLY!! It sure was a long winter, and I was beginning to wonder if I'd ever get to ride this year! Warsong and I went to Strawtown yesterday, and had a good ride. She is not used to being ridden alone, which is something I'm trying to change. She gets balky and doesn't want to go past things she wouldn't pay any attention to if she was with another horse. I had to whack her behind with the end of my lead rope a few times, but she finally realized I wasn't taking no for an answer, and after that, things were fine. I missed out on a lot of riding at the Ladies Ride, that I could have done if I'd worked with Warsong on going out alone.

EZ2SPOT

Edited by - EZ2SPOT on 05/25/2014 8:42:12 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000