Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Saddle and Tack Topics
 Discussions on Fitting Saddles to the Horse
 gullet measurments
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Cayuse
Advanced Rider

Canada
156 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2013 :  3:16:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Cayuse's Homepage Send Cayuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have been playing with the measuring tape and a couple of saddles I've had on the paint x I have been riding since August. The first saddle I measured was his wide wintec. I measured from edge to edge at the concho level and got 8 inches. I measured a used leather saddle that I tried on him briefly and again from edge to edge at concho level got 8 inch. Next I measured the wintec at about 1.5-2 inches below concho level I got 11 inch spread. On the leather saddle at about 1.5-2 inches below concho level I got 10 inches.

Does this mean the leather saddle is more narrow? Would this be a Regular bar equivant or a Semi? The pitch of bar on the leather saddle is more upright compared to the wintec. thanks for any info you knowledgeable folk can provide.

Cayuse
A lovely horse is always an experience...It is an emotional experience of the kind that is spoiled by words. Beryl Markham
Riding is a complicated joy. You learn something each time. It is never quite the same, and you never know it all. Monica Dickens

SaddleExpert
Administrator

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2013 :  12:21:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit SaddleExpert's Homepage Send SaddleExpert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Cayuse, measuring from the front can be a little inaccurate.
I would suggest measuring from the underneath portion of the bars (in the fleece on most saddles) - between the conchos for the gullet.

That should give you a little more accurate measurement for them.

Let me know if you need anything! support@horsesaddleshop.com
Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2013 :  07:24:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Check out this info on the saddleshop.

http://www.horsesaddleshop.com/western-saddle-fitting-tree-sizes.html

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

Cayuse
Advanced Rider

Canada
156 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2013 :  2:03:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Cayuse's Homepage Send Cayuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have tried them, and he is so winter fuzzy it is hard to tell which would fit. LOL. If I have a chance, I will try them again and take pics to post here. I have been meanign to do it for a while.

Cayuse
A lovely horse is always an experience...It is an emotional experience of the kind that is spoiled by words. Beryl Markham
Riding is a complicated joy. You learn something each time. It is never quite the same, and you never know it all. Monica Dickens
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000