Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Discussions
 Trails
 Going out alone
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Arenadirt
Trainer

USA
670 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2013 :  11:23:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Arenadirt's Homepage Send Arenadirt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's about freezing right now, but the sun is out and I'll be saddling up for yet another solo ride in an hour or so. In the past I have hardly given it a thought, but for some reason it feels different these days. Maybe it's age, or maybe last year's wreck that has given me a sense of frailty/vulnerability, but it makes me wish I had a riding companion who was willing to go where Seven and I go. The solitude and sole companionship of my good horse are precious things that I would not want to forego, but I feel less inclined to challenge myself or my horse when we're out alone these days. I am carrying a cell phone and a light trauma kit, but if anything requiring that kit should occur I am not sure I'd be in condition to use it. Hopefully the phone would work...

Anyhow, no plans to give up solo trail riding/exploration, but the sense of freedom it used to give me is tempered now with an undercurrent of caution that I never used to have. Don't know if that's a good thing or not, and no idea how to get rid of the feeling.

Oh to be young and stupid again...

"There is something about the outside of a horse...that is good for the inside of a man." ~Winston Churchill~

PaintGal
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
5300 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2013 :  12:26:18 PM  Show Profile Send PaintGal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know exactly what you mean. I've not ridden much in the past couple of years and when I have, it's been on the farm. I really WANT to hit the trails soon but I'm already a bit anxious. I'll more than likely be riding by myself too and there's always that thought that something might happen.

Young and stupid has a nice ring to it!

Karen ~ Trails
&
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."

~~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2013 :  12:35:13 PM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I couldn't agree more, PG and AD. With Steve's health problems and now mine, even though mine is temporary, I'm wondering how far from home I should be in case of an emergency like what happened at the ITRA Fall Ride this year. Of course, it might not ever happen again... but then again...

And just like you two have said; we don't bounce back up like we used to. But, for me, if I don't just get out and ride the trail when I have the time, I might as well get out of horses, because mine would be sitting idol most of the time. Also, me getting out by myself like that is one of the best stress relievers I have.

"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

PaintGal
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
5300 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2013 :  5:48:11 PM  Show Profile Send PaintGal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I enjoy riding by myself just as much as riding with someone else. Anything you do with a 1000 lb plus critter whose first instinct is to run from danger and if that doesn't work, fight for it's life can pretty quickly turn dangerous. Those that ride accept that and find a way to continue with what they love doing. We take precautions, ride horses we know and trust but realize accidents happen because we aren't young and stupid! Darn it.

Karen ~ Trails
&
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."

~~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

appygirl
Clinician

USA
3211 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2013 :  8:39:33 PM  Show Profile Send appygirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Even though I have ridden around the house and area near home by myself, I am always conscious that an accident may happen. I always have my cell phone with me, and there is a signal since I am riding in farm fields. I am leery about riding by myself but realize unless I can hook up with someone or get them to come to my house for a day ride, a solitary ride is going to have to work or Thunder is just going to enjoy being a pasture potato.

There are many things that we used to do when we were young, but that was during a time when we would just get up out of the dirt, brush ourselves off, and climb back into the saddle.

Appygirl

Man does not have the only memory,
The animals remember,
The earth remembers,
The stones remember,
If you know how to listen, they will tell you many things.
- Claude Kuwanijuma - Hopi Spiritual leader

Go to Top of Page

Dani
Beginning Rider

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2013 :  08:23:03 AM  Show Profile Send Dani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't ridden alone since I retired Image, except once when I was riding Raj at the state park with a friend and we got separated. Even though he normally would not go out alone he was a saint on that ride. Not riding alone has to do with getting older and not bouncing like I used to, and the fact that Image was the last horse I had who would go out alone. I'm hoping to get to that point with Dani but I doubt I'll ride alone much, if at all because of the getting older factor. I don't like it one bit!!!
Go to Top of Page

Arenadirt
Trainer

USA
670 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2013 :  10:27:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Arenadirt's Homepage Send Arenadirt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, of course nothing terrible happened - we rode for a couple of hours, Sev had a fine time of it and I didn't get anxious at all while out on the trail. But the feeling doesn't go away. As Karen says, young and stupid has a curious appeal.

"There is something about the outside of a horse...that is good for the inside of a man." ~Winston Churchill~
Go to Top of Page

puddleplasher
Clinician

USA
1296 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2013 :  8:48:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit puddleplasher's Homepage Send puddleplasher a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I ride alone a lot, since my days I can get away are mostly week days when my riding friends are all at work, but I do tend to stick with places I've either been before or have good maps and knowledge of. Forewarned is forearmed or something like that.

'plash

Pepper sez: "Don't forget the horse!!"
'Plash's Ride Log
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000