Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Saddle and Tack Topics
 Tack Questions and Comments
 Girth Preferences
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

appygirl
Clinician

USA
3211 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2013 :  5:57:57 PM  Show Profile Send appygirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What type of girth do you prefer to ride in? I have been using an inexpensive felt girth and am thinking of either investing in a mohair girth or a neoprene girth. I bought one of the air pocket girths, but it didn't do well for Thunder.

What suggestions do you folks have?

Appygirl

Man does not have the only memory,
The animals remember,
The earth remembers,
The stones remember,
If you know how to listen, they will tell you many things.
- Claude Kuwanijuma - Hopi Spiritual leader

Mrs Hook
Trainer

Canada
862 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2013 :  7:01:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mrs Hook's Homepage Send Mrs Hook a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think I have weird or sensitive horses.

I scalded Profit pretty badly using a neoprene girth so it is in my pile of stuff to sell. Then I tried using a wool pad and a wool girth on Lottie and she couldn't cope with the itching it was causing. I am now using just the normal fuzzy lined girths and everyone is happy.

My sister bought me an English girth that has some kind of wicking substance in the middle and fuzzy around the outside. Cruiser loves it.

I would like to try one of those fuzzy mohair girths. They look like they would be so nice. Ed used to use a string mohair cinch on Sugar and they both thought it was great.

Mrs Hook's Riding Log

Go to Top of Page

Dani
Beginning Rider

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2013 :  8:06:33 PM  Show Profile Send Dani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've used both neoprene and mohair with success. I make sure the neoprene is rinsed after every ride and with mohair I keep a spare so I always have a clean one.
Go to Top of Page

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2013 :  8:18:47 PM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Terra has had the same neoprene girth for so many years that I've lost track of how long I've had it. Yes, some horses can be allergic to neoprene, but I've never had a problem with it. I like neoprene because it has less tendency to pinch or gall the horse. At least that's been my experience.

"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Cayuse
Advanced Rider

Canada
156 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2013 :  6:08:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Cayuse's Homepage Send Cayuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For many years I used mohair string cinches without issue. then I switched to neoprene without a problem. I currently am using an Equine Classic Clinton Anderson cinch that I got second hand as it was the right size that I needed and really like how it fits the horse. He seems happy in it too. I also have a brand new weaver AirFlex smart cinch that I haven't had a chance to try out yet because I stopped riding the horse I was going to use it on, and it doesn't fit the new ride partner. I like the concept of the smart cinch but will have to wait to see how horses will like the airflex part.

A friend of mine rides English and now swears by gel girths. her horse is no longer girthy.

Cayuse
A lovely horse is always an experience...It is an emotional experience of the kind that is spoiled by words. Beryl Markham
Riding is a complicated joy. You learn something each time. It is never quite the same, and you never know it all. Monica Dickens
Go to Top of Page

appygirl
Clinician

USA
3211 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2013 :  7:27:11 PM  Show Profile Send appygirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Weaver AirFlex Smart cinch is what I have that didn't work well with Thunder. I will most likely be selling it. I used a neoprene on Hi-Grey and it worked great. Thunder is just being difficult to fit with a cinch. My farrier uses the mohair cinches and likes them because the horse hair gets caught in the strings and makes them even softer.

Now that I have a different saddle that fits great, I may try the cinches I have again and see if they might work with this saddle.

Appygirl

The animals remember,
The earth remembers,
The stones remember,

Go to Top of Page

EZ2SPOT
Clinician

USA
3785 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2013 :  12:29:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit EZ2SPOT's Homepage Send EZ2SPOT a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have been using neoprene cinches for years, and wouldn't want to use anything else!

EZ2SPOT
Go to Top of Page

hmeyer
Clinician

USA
2194 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2013 :  12:51:31 PM  Show Profile Send hmeyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I will echo EZ's statement, except substitute Mohair instead of neoprene! Good thing none of us are too opinionated, huh?

"You learn a thing a day, you store up smart" - Festus Haggen

"A manís soul canít be hidden,
From the creatures in his care." -
Hard Candy Cowboy by Debra Meyer

Go to Top of Page

appygirl
Clinician

USA
3211 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2013 :  7:56:58 PM  Show Profile Send appygirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ain't it the truth, hmeyer? I like the neoprene, too, and it is so easy to clean. Hi-Grey did fine with it. I'm hoping the issue with Thunder was his saddle didn't fit, which hampered the performance of the cinch. I am really interested in a mohair cinch. I may have to invest in one just to try it out. Heck, I have one of just about every other kind. lol

Appreciate the input from everyone!

Appygirl

The animals remember,
The earth remembers,
The stones remember,

Go to Top of Page

puddleplasher
Clinician

USA
1296 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2013 :  8:52:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit puddleplasher's Homepage Send puddleplasher a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've gone with mohair most of the time since it seems to keep the girth area less sweaty and therefore (I assume) less prone to galls and rubs, but then, I haven't tried many other things -- if it works, don't mess with it, right? Recently got a new saddle that came with an English-style leather girth, though, and it seems to be doing okay too. Probably should be cleaning it with leather stuff more often, but at least it gets a wipe-down.

'plash

Pepper sez: "Don't forget the horse!!"
'Plash's Ride Log
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000