Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Saddle and Tack Topics
 Tack Questions and Comments
 saddle pads
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Cayuse
Advanced Rider

Canada
156 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2013 :  08:37:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Cayuse's Homepage Send Cayuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi all
Just wondering what everyone's preference is these days in regards to western saddle pads/blankets.

there is so much choice it is hard to know what to pick with searchign for something new. lol

Cayuse
A lovely horse is always an experience...It is an emotional experience of the kind that is spoiled by words. Beryl Markham
Riding is a complicated joy. You learn something each time. It is never quite the same, and you never know it all. Monica Dickens

PaintGal
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
5300 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2013 :  09:00:40 AM  Show Profile Send PaintGal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the contoured pad that has the higher part for the withers.

Karen ~ Trails
&
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."

~~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

Cayuse
Advanced Rider

Canada
156 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2013 :  10:27:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Cayuse's Homepage Send Cayuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I currently have Reinsman tacky too contoured pad that has been used successfully on a number of horses.

Cayuse
A lovely horse is always an experience...It is an emotional experience of the kind that is spoiled by words. Beryl Markham
Riding is a complicated joy. You learn something each time. It is never quite the same, and you never know it all. Monica Dickens
Go to Top of Page

EZ2SPOT
Clinician

USA
3785 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2013 :  12:28:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit EZ2SPOT's Homepage Send EZ2SPOT a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love the Reinsman Tacky Too pads. My saddles have round skirts, so I use the barrel pads. I do have a problem with keeping them off the withers, and wish they'd make them contoured in that shape.

EZ2SPOT
Go to Top of Page

hmeyer
Clinician

USA
2194 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2013 :  2:19:37 PM  Show Profile Send hmeyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I decided to go back to 100% wool felt with my new saddle instead of all these new-fangled, high-dollar jobs. From many of the things I've read, you just can't hardly beat good old-fashioned wool. It wicks well, is durable and reasonably priced. I went with a contoured pad from Diamond Wool.

"You learn a thing a day, you store up smart" - Festus Haggen

"A manís soul canít be hidden,
From the creatures in his care." -
Hard Candy Cowboy by Debra Meyer

Go to Top of Page

Dani
Beginning Rider

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2013 :  07:48:52 AM  Show Profile Send Dani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by EZ2SPOT

I love the Reinsman Tacky Too pads. My saddles have round skirts, so I use the barrel pads. I do have a problem with keeping them off the withers, and wish they'd make them contoured in that shape.

EZ2SPOT

I have one that is contoured and is rounded. I think it's an endurance pad. I got it from Horse Saddle Shop. I love my Reinsman Tacky Too pad. At Equine Affaire in April I was watching a saddle fit seminar and that is what the presenter recommended for Dani's slipping saddle. I have since switched saddles but still use that pad.
Go to Top of Page

EZ2SPOT
Clinician

USA
3785 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2013 :  12:28:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit EZ2SPOT's Homepage Send EZ2SPOT a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've had a number of really expensive saddle pads, such as the CSI pad ($300+), and the Equipedic (around $200). But my horses liked the Reinsman Tacky Too pads the best, so that is what I use now. Honestly, spending more money does not mean you are going to get a better pad.

EZ2SPOT
Go to Top of Page

Cayuse
Advanced Rider

Canada
156 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2013 :  1:03:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Cayuse's Homepage Send Cayuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree that the real expensive pads may not be best. I have been riding with tacky pad lately and suspect the thin skinned horse I ride prefers his fleece lined one. I think I wil try him back in it again. I have looked at the expensive pads but can't afford them, particularly since I don't even own the horse I ride.

Cayuse
Go to Top of Page

appygirl
Clinician

USA
3211 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2013 :  5:55:39 PM  Show Profile Send appygirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I use a tacky-type pad on Thunder. It's not an expensive one. It seems to do a decent job.

Appygirl

Man does not have the only memory,
The animals remember,
The earth remembers,
The stones remember,
If you know how to listen, they will tell you many things.
- Claude Kuwanijuma - Hopi Spiritual leader

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000