Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Saddle and Tack Topics
 Tack Questions and Comments
 wither pads
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Cayuse
Advanced Rider

Canada
156 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2013 :  08:32:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Cayuse's Homepage Send Cayuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Someone mentioned in one of my threads a while back that it is better to have a saddle too wide rather than too narrow, and to pad up the difference. I am just wondering if wither pads would be useful in that situation rather than have two pads on the horse, risking saddle roll. Also wondering if they would help provide wither clearance in the case of a saddle being too wide. Thanks for any comments.

Cayuse
A lovely horse is always an experience...It is an emotional experience of the kind that is spoiled by words. Beryl Markham
Riding is a complicated joy. You learn something each time. It is never quite the same, and you never know it all. Monica Dickens

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2013 :  09:25:12 AM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Of course it's much better to have a saddle that fits your horse rather than one that doesn't. That said; my barrel saddle that I use for trail riding will leave dry spots near and just below Terra's withers if I ride with what I'd call a normal type saddle pad, regardless of how thick or thin the pad is.

Terra is slender-made with prominent withers, which makes fitting a saddle to her rather difficult. What's worked for me is a cut-back built-up pad. The pad is thicker in the front with a slot to allow the withers room. Terra likes it, and I've had no more dry spots. If your problem is like my problem, you might try this.

But by all means, if you can fit the saddle to your horse, do so .

"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Cayuse
Advanced Rider

Canada
156 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2013 :  10:24:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Cayuse's Homepage Send Cayuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
RH- cut back/ built up pads are another option I have been looking at. And yes, the horse i currrently ride is a draftx, who has higher withers. I do not own him so can't afford to look for a saddle to fit a specific horse, unfortunatley. Would you go with a built up pad rather than the wither pad?

Cayuse
A lovely horse is always an experience...It is an emotional experience of the kind that is spoiled by words. Beryl Markham
Riding is a complicated joy. You learn something each time. It is never quite the same, and you never know it all. Monica Dickens
Go to Top of Page

EZ2SPOT
Clinician

USA
3785 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2013 :  12:31:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit EZ2SPOT's Homepage Send EZ2SPOT a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I never had much luck with those withers pads, if you mean the little ones you are supposed to put on top of your regular pad. They just don't seem to put the padding in the right place. BUT...it might have been just my horse. It would be great if you could borrow one from somebody, to see if it would work for you, before buying one.

EZ2SPOT
Go to Top of Page

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2013 :  10:05:34 AM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cayuse

RH- cut back/ built up pads are another option I have been looking at. And yes, the horse i currrently ride is a draftx, who has higher withers. I do not own him so can't afford to look for a saddle to fit a specific horse, unfortunatley. Would you go with a built up pad rather than the wither pad?

I wasn't sure what a wither pad was until EZ's post, and like her I'd think it'd be much easier to go with a single pad than two just because it's less hassle regardless of what you decide to do. JMO

"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Cayuse
Advanced Rider

Canada
156 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2013 :  12:56:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Cayuse's Homepage Send Cayuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
definitely simpler with less gear. I think I will try a built up pad.

Cayuse
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000