Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Saddle and Tack Topics
 Tack Questions and Comments
 HELP! What kind of saddle is this?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

burmalove
Tenderfoot

1 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2013 :  10:18:56 PM  Show Profile Send burmalove a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello,

I am an English dressage rider but I have had this western saddle for a long time. I have decided to sell it but I have no idea how much it is worth as I do not know what kind of saddle it is. I can't find any makers mark or stamp on it.. So if anyone has any clues as to what kind of saddle it is I would greatly appreciate it! Thank you :)

appygirl
Clinician

USA
3211 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2013 :  7:39:28 PM  Show Profile Send appygirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm no expert, but the horn seems to be the type you will find on a barrel saddle. How big is the seat? It's a very nice saddle. I am sure you will get a nice price for it.

Appygirl

Man does not have the only memory,
The animals remember,
The earth remembers,
The stones remember,
If you know how to listen, they will tell you many things.
- Claude Kuwanijuma - Hopi Spiritual leader

Go to Top of Page

Arenadirt
Trainer

USA
670 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2013 :  08:42:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Arenadirt's Homepage Send Arenadirt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That kind of horn is also found on cutting saddles, but the seat doesn't look flat enough for a cutter...

There should be some kind of stamp somewhere on it - the latigo holder maybe? Under the fenders?

"There is something about the outside of a horse...that is good for the inside of a man." ~Winston Churchill~
Go to Top of Page

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2013 :  4:58:46 PM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It might be a barrel saddle except the cantle is usually a hair higher. Though they might've been like that in older saddles. Could it be what's termed an all purpose western saddle ?

The silver trim and roped edging makes me think it could be a pleasure saddle. But I'm guessing more than anything else.

"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

PaintGal
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
5300 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2013 :  5:55:27 PM  Show Profile Send PaintGal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice looking saddle no matter what it is. What does it weigh?

There has to be markings somewhere. Look WAY up high under the seat jockey & check behind the fenders. From the square skirt, I'm thinking it's not a barrel saddle unless it's fairly old but even my 45 y/o barrel saddle has a rounded skirt.

Good luck. Please let us know if you figure it out.

Karen ~ Trails
&
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."

~~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2013 :  6:32:32 PM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PaintGal

Nice looking saddle no matter what it is. What does it weigh?

There has to be markings somewhere. Look WAY up high under the seat jockey & check behind the fenders. From the square skirt, I'm thinking it's not a barrel saddle unless it's fairly old but even my 45 y/o barrel saddle has a rounded skirt.

Good luck. Please let us know if you figure it out.

Not necessarily, PG. My barrel saddle doesn't have a mark on it anywhere. No number, no writing, no mark, nothing. And it's over 35 years old. This doesn't mean that this saddle might not have one somewhere. It's possible .

And there are square skirted barrel saddles. But, again, that doesn't mean that this saddle is a barrel saddle. In my opinion, I don't think it is either.

"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000