Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Caring and Owning Horses
 The Beginning Rider
 New Member!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

amberly
Tenderfoot

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2013 :  12:52:57 PM  Show Profile Send amberly a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I couldn't find an introductions thread page, so I thought this would be good enough. haha!
Well, I own two horses - Golley and Brisco. They are both Blazers.
Golley is a dun, 13.5hh, sweet, gentle, and very willing.
Brisco is white, 15.6hh to 16hh, bossy, but eventually willing.

I live in Montana, USA. Right now it is still deciding to snow or rain. And is brilliant because that means I am squeegeeing the courts and playing tennis in the rain. But that's ok! haha!

I have been with and owned horses for about 10 years now. I am still no expert on everything, but I hope to be someday!!

I am very sarcastic, so if I insult someone, it is ALWAYS out of complete sarcasm. When it comes to horses, I am very much more serious, but I am still sarcastic about it. Sarcastic, but honest.

Well, I hope we can all start off on some good shoes and hopefully they will last long!!

I am only asking two things of my fellow horse-crazy-people.
1) Just please no fighting with anyone.
2) Let's just please stay off the topic of what color Brisco is. I have had some pretty funny, stupid, and just annoying arguments over that. I jsut don't want to start that again.

Well, hello to all and new shoes to everyone!! ;)

To be able to ride, you must know how to fall.

Edited by - amberly on 03/21/2013 12:54:04 PM

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2013 :  1:50:32 PM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Please be aware that you've already started several debates with your intro. But welcome to Daily Equine all the same.

Taking things in the order you've listed them, here's my opinions and suggestions:

If Brisco is indeed a white horse, he is an albino. That means he has pink skin and blue eyes. If he does not, then he is not a white horse. That is not an opinion but fact. Check it out sometime if you don't believe me.

Also there's no such thing as a 15.6 hand horse. If you meant 15 and one half hands tall, it would be written 15.2 because a hand is 4 inches. 15.2 means 15 hands and 2 inches. This also is fact.

Nobody ever know everything about horses. That's impossible. I've been around horses for 50 years and still don't know everything... and never will. It's an ongoing learning process that never ends.

Sarcasm has its place. If you say anything I take as an insult, be prepared for retaliation. It takes tact to do sarcasm and bring it off right. If you can do that, we'll get along fine. If not, you will suffer the consequences. Respect of all other members on this forum is expected and appreciated from everyone.

I have no idea what you mean by "new shoes for everyone". Horse shoes? Boots? I don't get the joke... if there is one. As for me; I have one pair of work shoes that I wear to work every day, barn boots, western riding boots, and a pair of hiking shoes. I really don't need any other footwear, thank you very much.

Now that we've got that all out of the way, we would very much like to hear about your horses and equine experiences. There are several of us who are willing to share a wealth of information when it comes to horses. So feel free to ask away, and we'll help as best we can. Got any pics of you and your horses? We'd love to see them.

So now that you've warned us, so have you been warned. We are all human here. Just remember to show respect for us without insults that may result from sarcasm, and we should get along just fine.

"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

hmeyer
Clinician

USA
2194 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2013 :  12:53:06 PM  Show Profile Send hmeyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Amberly. Welcome to DE. Look forward to hearing more about you and your horses. What kind of riding do you do? Show, trail, competition, etc? We are in Indiana and have 7 horses and a donkey and basically just have fun with them and trail/pleasure ride.

I am curious about Brisco as well, since the ABHA website says the Blazer Horse can't be over 15 hands and white is not an accepted color to be registered. Is he registered with the ABHA?

As Red Hawk pointed out about height, likewise with Golley, there is no such thing as a 13.5hh horse. A horse that is 52" at the withers would be 13hh, then one that is 55" would be 13.3hh and if you add one more inch to 56" he would then be 14hh.

Also as Red Hawk pointed out there is a lot of horse knowledge on this forum from which you can draw a lot of information, not the least of which could come from her. She has been around horses a long, long time.... not saying she's old or anything.

"You learn a thing a day, you store up smart" - Festus Haggen

"A manís soul canít be hidden,
From the creatures in his care." -
Hard Candy Cowboy by Debra Meyer

Go to Top of Page

amberly
Tenderfoot

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2013 :  8:59:17 PM  Show Profile Send amberly a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, Brisco is a white horse. The definition of a white horse is, a horse that is born white and dies white. Brisco is 21 years old,and will be 22 this year! I'll make a different thread for introducing my horses. ;)

Oh, yea! I always forget that it is 4 inches. Sorry about that! I know it, I try to remind myself, then just WHAM! I forget it.

Yea, even if you think you know everything, you're wrong. It is impossible to know everything, but I wish it were! haha! ;)

When I get to know people pretty well is when I sarcastically insult them, haha!

What I meant by "new shoes for everyone" is that Me and everyone can start with new shoes. New shoes = happy basically!! ;)

When I can I will get some info updated for my horses!! I love my horses very much and I love showing them to people.

I really hope we can all get along! We can all learn from one another and learn everyone's different methods. ;)

I ride western and I have been for about 8 to 10 years now.

Edited by - amberly on 03/22/2013 9:02:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2013 :  4:33:30 PM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Does Brisco have black skin? Does he have any color of eyes but blue? If so, even if his coat hair is white, he's a grey. The hair on a grey can be white as new fallen snow, but he is not a white horse. He's a grey. A truly white horse will always have pink skin and blue eyes. If Brisco does not have these characteristics, he's a grey. This is accepted fact and not debatable. You can call him whatever you want. It does not change the facts. So which way is it? Does Brisco have pink or black skin. Does he have blue eyes or not? That's where the proof lies, and you've never said one way or the other.

--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

amberly
Tenderfoot

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2013 :  7:03:35 PM  Show Profile Send amberly a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Brisco has White Skin and blue eyes. He is a white horse.

BTW: I do know what greys are. ;) hehe!

http://www.dailyequine.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8593
both of my horses.

Go to Top of Page

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2013 :  10:31:44 PM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
White skin? Never heard of a horse with white skin. Guess I'd have to see Brisco in person to solve my curiosity on this one .

--Robert Browning

-- Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

hmeyer
Clinician

USA
2194 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2013 :  10:53:41 PM  Show Profile Send hmeyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
RH, I think if you look at the pictures you'll have to agree he's a white horse. Might be time to start encouraging the child with her horses instead of being quite so confrontational.

"You learn a thing a day, you store up smart" - Festus Haggen

"A manís soul canít be hidden,
From the creatures in his care." -
Hard Candy Cowboy by Debra Meyer

Go to Top of Page

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2013 :  11:14:35 PM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hmeyer

RH, I think if you look at the pictures you'll have to agree he's a white horse. Might be time to start encouraging the child with her horses instead of being quite so confrontational.

I'm trying, Harv. I've about bent over backward trying to explain my position. It's up to her whether she accepts my olive branch or not.

--Robert Browning

-- Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

amberly
Tenderfoot

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2013 :  11:26:58 AM  Show Profile Send amberly a Private Message  Reply with Quote
oh sorry!! did i say white skin???? Gosh darn, I completely meant pink skin. I have no idea what my mind was doing when I said white skin.
Believe me, I love olive branches. Just some of the olives are sour, and some of them are fresh.

Go to Top of Page

Arenadirt
Trainer

USA
670 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2013 :  3:49:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Arenadirt's Homepage Send Arenadirt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by amberly

oh sorry!! did i say white skin???? Gosh darn, I completely meant pink skin. I have no idea what my mind was doing when I said white skin.

Understood - I rarely know what my mind is doing.

Now, speaking of good shoes...

Those are Sorel "Manawan" slippers. Gotta tellya, I've been wearing a pair all winter, even in the barn. Amazing footgear. Tremendous traction, even on ice, very warm and the best part - they don't fill up with hay like every other pair of fleece-lined slippers I ever had. Guys - get some. Gals - next birthday, or certainly by Christmas, get some for the guy who didn't heed this. You won't be sorry!

That's my good shoes input for the day.

"There is something about the outside of a horse...that is good for the inside of a man." ~Winston Churchill~

Edited by - Arenadirt on 05/03/2013 3:50:05 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000