Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Saddle and Tack Topics
 Discussions on Fitting Saddles to the Horse
 gaited horse saddles
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Cayuse
Advanced Rider

Canada
156 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2013 :  7:33:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Cayuse's Homepage Send Cayuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I posted this question on another of my threads but decided it needed own.

Can gaited horse trees be used on non gaited horses?

thanks

Cayuse
A lovely horse is always an experience...It is an emotional experience of the kind that is spoiled by words. Beryl Markham
Riding is a complicated joy. You learn something each time. It is never quite the same, and you never know it all. Monica Dickens

walkinthewalk
Advanced Rider

USA
215 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2013 :  6:41:35 PM  Show Profile Send walkinthewalk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just because a saddle maker says the saddle is for a gaited horse does not mean that saddle is a one-size-fits all gaited horses.

I have three TWH's and they each have their own saddle because non of them are interchangeable.

One is lean and lanky, with sort of high withers.

The other two are "stout" and "really stout" with barely a wither to be found. Both of them have metabolic issues, too

I don't have a saddle for the "really stout" fella. If he were able to hard trail ride, I would have to have a custom saddle on a Draft Horse tree for him. And I can easily feel his ribs at the top but he is that raw-boned

TWH's (I don't know about other gaited breeds) make huge sweeping motions with their shoulders. Any saddle that allows that much freedom of movement in the withers, will work as long as it fits in other ways.

I have an old Orthoflex for my lanky fella that was made for a TWH/Arab cross built exactly like him; it's a perfect fit. I also have an ancient Big Horn roping saddle that fits him equally as well.

Neither of those saddles fit my other two.

Hope this helps some
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000