Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Caring and Owning Horses
 Horse Training
 Yearling training!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HossBoss
Tenderfoot

2 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2012 :  3:39:28 PM  Show Profile Send HossBoss a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since I resently got my paint filly delivered in Oct. I've come to notice that we both seem to be bonding very... well!! So much so, that I decided to test her out a bit with a bareback pad/saddle. First only placing it on her back to test her reaction to it. She sniffed it a bit but she had no worries. Then walked her with it on. That went good too. I then decided to finally tie up the girth "snug fit"

Walked her around & she had no... problems at all! When I talked with her breeder she had said that she really hadn't done all that much with her. I understand that since she's only in the business to "breed & sell" My yearling is about 1yr 5 months old. Is this a bit young or uncommon for a yearling to adapt this way? Or is it because she as lots of love & trust in me?

I do realise that getting her to accept a riders weight is a whole other story!!!! I am doing the training myself & it will take tons of patience & time. But the way she's been acting. Maybe it won't be all that bad. (knock on wood!!) Any thought's on this?

PaintGal
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
5300 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2012 :  4:59:03 PM  Show Profile Send PaintGal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
She sounds like a good sane filly! There is a lot she must learn before she needs to accept a saddle so work on teaching her to give to pressure and basic ground manners. She can learn a lot from being lunged correctly. There is a great article on lunging pinned somewhere that you might want to read.

She's way too young to have weight put on her so don't be a big hurry to ride her! Her bones & muscles are still developing. We'd love to see pics of her! HINT HINT. ;)

Karen ~ Trails
&
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."

~~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2012 :  5:07:02 PM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
She sounds a lot like the first horse I trained to ride. He accepted everything too like it was no big deal. This Included stepping aboard him for the first time... which I didn't do until he was 2 years old according to his actual birth date and not by the January first rule that most horse registries follow.

In some respects, I should've waited until he was nearer to 3 years old before riding him. But I'm a small person, and I don't think I did him any real harm. The thing is; when you have a horse that's this laid back with training it's hard not to rush things. Take your time and don't get in a hurry. And definitely don't try to ride her or even sit on her until she's at least truly 2 years old. Three years old if you're a large person.

The other thing is not to get a false sense of security that your horse won't hurt you. There's no telling how she will respond to anything that she's had no prior experience with. About the time you think you can do anything with her, that's the time you could get hurt... sometimes seriously hurt. Trust me on this. I've been there with the broken bones to prove it.

So take it slow and easy, don't rush anything, and don't take anything for granted. Expect the worst every time you try anything new with her, and take every precaution you can to keep you safe.

I hope I'm not preaching to the choir with this post since I don't know anything about your horse experience background. My main concern is for the safety of you, and your horse... and in that order.

"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.1 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000