Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Caring and Owning Horses
 Horse Training
 Yearling trouble!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HossBoss
Tenderfoot

2 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2012 :  2:07:35 PM  Show Profile Send HossBoss a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi guys! I'm new to this forum & thought i'd ask for advice here first before trying other options. I resently purchased a yearling paint filly which only came the other day. We don't really know eachother yet & already she's obsessed with me! If i'm not her in view,even for a second. She freaks out & stresses over it. She has to be able to see me or there's gonna be trouble! She's already broken through her pasture fence 2x to get to me. So now... I'm having a guy put up an electric fence tomorrow to zap her silly. She is my 1st yearling & to be very honest. I currently do not have any other horses. So maybe this is why she acts crazy being i'm her only companion. I will say that she likes to be in her stall. But any horse cannot stay in a stall for long periods of time
without excersize!

I will say that i consider myself to be "Equine Educated" since i'm also a farrier as well & she's excellent to work around no matter what i'm doing with her. Just as long as i'm in her sight!!! PLEASE HELP... with any advice. Thanx!!

walkinthewalk
Advanced Rider

USA
215 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2012 :  7:11:35 PM  Show Profile Send walkinthewalk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You will probably have to get her a pasture companion.

Either another horse or pony (not too small as you don't know who the alpha-dominant would end up being and you don't want anyone to get beat up).

I have heard goats work as horse companions but I don't have any personal experience.

Good luck figuring this out --- you could have far worse issues

And P.S. Great that you're a farrier but, don't be the "mechanic" that keeps everyone else's cars running but yours hasn't run in a month - lol lol lol I know farriers like that - lol lol
Go to Top of Page

BethAnn
Trainer

USA
864 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2012 :  05:33:32 AM  Show Profile Send BethAnn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Llamas make great companions! Herd animals like to be with another being, get her a friend or she will be a very unhappy camper.

BethAnn Stewart
Palmyra,Indiana

Lovie-gypsy vanner
Lad- Clydesdale

Do not take up the warpath without a just cause and honest purpose. Pushmataha-Choctow leader
Go to Top of Page

PaintGal
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
5300 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2012 :  09:00:45 AM  Show Profile Send PaintGal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome to DE! I 2nd what the others have said. She's a baby and probably has never been alone before.

Good luck!

Karen ~ Trails
&
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."

~~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

Arenadirt
Trainer

USA
670 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2012 :  1:19:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Arenadirt's Homepage Send Arenadirt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Goats DO make good horse companions. They come with their own problems though... escape artists extraordinaire, consumers of pretty much everything, curious to a fault. But I know people who have successfully kept them as companion animals for horses.

One thing for sure - a horse cannot grow to full "normal" potential without companionship.

"There is something about the outside of a horse...that is good for the inside of a man." ~Winston Churchill~
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000