Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Caring and Owning Horses
 Horse Training
 School Horses
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MissPSCGirl
Tenderfoot

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2012 :  4:08:11 PM  Show Profile Send MissPSCGirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Everyone,
So I wanted to see what you guys think and if anyone has ideas to help and try.
My school has many horses. They all have their own story of how they came to be a potomac state college. But the problem is....none of them are easy rides and many need base work and retraining. But everytime we do this within a matter of days its like everything we did was for nothing. The horses are constantly having novice and green riders riding them....and lately we have had many more accidents and problems because of all of the horses attitudes....we have one that spooks so easily that hes becoming a danger to ride and yet he is one of the horses that listens best and doesnt fight you when you ask them to do something.
I believe we need to establish connections with the horses but dont really get the chance...and yes I do believe riders with no experience should be able to ride.
Do you have any excercises that we may be able to do to form connections and bonds with the horses?

Key Key

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2012 :  06:16:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is no easy answer for this one.

I would suggest that the school needs a competent trainer and a few experienced riders to keep the horses in form.

New riders should have a coach present and receive enough basic instruction to allow effective control of the horse before being allowed to ride by themselves.

What you describe "riders with no experience" is just not possible unless the horse is being led by an experienced horse person. Someone is going to get hurt badly.

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

Arenadirt
Trainer

USA
670 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2012 :  2:37:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Arenadirt's Homepage Send Arenadirt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would suggest assigning the horses to "tiers". Don't know if that's really feasible at PSC, but it sort of works at the barn where I train. There are a couple of "lesson horses" for beginners, a few that are designated for intermediate or better riders, and some more specialized reiners, cutters, pleasure horses etc. for those who are more advanced.

Starting with a lot of horses, all of which need work, that might not be do-able - especially if your riders are predominantly beginners... like Hook says, no easy answers.

"There is something about the outside of a horse...that is good for the inside of a man." ~Winston Churchill~
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.1 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000