Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Caring and Owning Horses
 The Beginning Rider
 New Owner & Rider
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

stesch72
Tenderfoot

Canada
4 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2010 :  2:02:57 PM  Show Profile Send stesch72 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Everyone,

I've been going through several posts for a little while and sure am glad I found this forum. LOTS of great help and tips. Let's hit some history to tell who I am and who my girl is. I'm a new owner of an 8 year old grey tabiano paint mare, Frosty. I got her back in June of this year after playing around with my sister's horses for a bit. She wasn't actually the first horse I was looking at. The first horse was a gorgeous 4 year old gelding Curly horse. He was awesome and I felt a connection right away with him. However, being a very green rider, I felt I didn't have the necessary experience to raise him and I passed on the opportunity. I was looking at a curly because, I'm allergic to horses!

So, Frosty came around and she was great with kids and had plenty of training. I wonder just how much now because her manners need some tweaking for sure. One thing about her is that she is VERY "wide" having foaled 3-4 times already. We're questioning whether she's preggers again, but I had a vet check and an internal said no. I dunno though. If she's not, then her rib cage never came back in after her last foal. She sure eats and eats and eats though.

This weekend my sister and I are going to play with our girls in the arena with the weather being so nice. Part of my problem is I get annoyed because I know what she needs but I'm not sure what the heck I'm doing. The good thing is our board owner is experienced and helps us. I just need to work on Frosty's ground manners more before I get her saddled up. She bucked me skyward back in July and my back is still a bit stiff, lol. I was NOT impressed.

Steve

stesch72
Tenderfoot

Canada
4 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2010 :  6:55:09 PM  Show Profile Send stesch72 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is my girl, Frosty. This was the first day she arrived at the place where she's boarded now. The previous place was very wet and muddy. Also found that she's a roller.

Edited by - stesch72 on 10/07/2010 6:58:05 PM
Go to Top of Page

Molly
Beginning Rider

85 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2010 :  7:33:14 PM  Show Profile Send Molly a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Steve,
Welcome to this wonderful group.
I am the owner of Molly a 7 year old Belgian, needless to say my horse is also wide and just like your Frosty she loves to eat.
Go to Top of Page

EZ2SPOT
Clinician

USA
3785 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2010 :  7:57:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit EZ2SPOT's Homepage Send EZ2SPOT a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome, Steve! Frosty is a nice looking horse! It seems like it is always the light-colored horses that like to roll in the dirt and mud the most. Makes keeping them clean quite a challenge, doesn't it?

If Frosty is 8 and has had 3 or 4 foals, you can figure that is 3 or 4 years out of her life that she probably wasn't ridden. So it is possible that she might actually have less experience under saddle than that 4-year old gelding you were considering!

It sounds as though you are doing well with her, though, I wish you continued success!

EZ2SPOT
Go to Top of Page

PaintGal
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
5300 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2010 :  8:01:42 PM  Show Profile Send PaintGal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome to DE! Frosty looks like she's not missed many meals. LOL!

You mentioned she bucked you off. Can you tell us more about what led up to the buck? What sort of grain and how much is she getting? Is she turned out & if so how long?

What sort of bit are you using? How long have you had her? Did the previous owners ride her for you?

Figuring out horse behavior is sometimes done by the process of elimination.

Karen ~ Trails
&
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."

~~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2010 :  9:20:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the Forum Steve, from a fellow Canadian in southern Ontario.

Glad to have you aboard. Frosty is a goo d looking girl. BTW we do like pictures.

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

stesch72
Tenderfoot

Canada
4 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2010 :  5:43:15 PM  Show Profile Send stesch72 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PaintGal

Welcome to DE! Frosty looks like she's not missed many meals. LOL!

You mentioned she bucked you off. Can you tell us more about what led up to the buck? What sort of grain and how much is she getting? Is she turned out & if so how long?

What sort of bit are you using? How long have you had her? Did the previous owners ride her for you?

Figuring out horse behavior is sometimes done by the process of elimination.

Welllllll, I was an idiot that day. That was the day we had a vet check her and I guess I wouldn't want someone on my back either if I just had an arm up my wahoo. BUT, I led her around and played around with her afterwards and I felt that she was ok so I decided to see how she'd be riding bareback with no headgear. She didn't like it!

Right now she's getting decent quality hay twice a day. Given her stature, I thought grain would probably not be required. I use a 5" copper infused snaffle bit, which she takes fine. I got her in mid June of this year and rode her then as well. She was at a trainers ranch so I didn't see the actual owners. The trainers young daughters both rode Frosty and she was very good with them. Only after did I find out that her previous owner was an RCMP tyrant and tended to hit her in the face. So, she spooks easily with fast movement around her face.

EZ, you're probably right. That kind of makes me sad because I really liked Silver and Curlies are hypo-allergenic. When I went to look at him, I had my face buried in his coat and mane and didn't react at all! No meds either.
Go to Top of Page

EZ2SPOT
Clinician

USA
3785 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2010 :  7:58:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit EZ2SPOT's Homepage Send EZ2SPOT a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds like Frosty was just having a bad day when she bucked you off, & you don't seem to really be having any major problems with her. Got to tell you, it is fairly normal for a horse to try you now & then, especially when you are still getting used to each other.

EZ2SPOT
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000