Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Saddle and Tack Topics
 Saddle Types
 Napoleonic era saddles
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

puddleplasher
Clinician

USA
1296 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2010 :  02:26:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit puddleplasher's Homepage Send puddleplasher a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some photos of saddles from Napoleonic times, from the Royal Museum of the Army and Military History in Brussels. They had an enormous hall of all varieties of uniforms from that era -- if that was my area of interest, I could have spent a week in that hall alone. As it was, I confined myself to looking at the saddles (and then went off to find the medieval armor).

Most of the saddles had accessories along with. Note the pistol buckets at the front of this one:

Some had so many accouterments it was hard to tell how it was all supposed to go on the horse. Pistol holsters (with covers) at the front, a bridle and some other straps hanging over the front, another holster for something on the flank, and a bedroll or something at the back...

Note the background of miscellaneous objects: swords, scabbards, stirrups, hats, books, uniforms... all the cases were like this, part of why it would take so long if you tried to study everything in detail.

Then as now, leopard-skin accessories seemed to be popular:

Nice looking boots and spurs:

This saddle cover was in a separate display of items from imperial Russia. I'm not sure what's on the far side of it, but the men in the photo do seem to be recoiling from it in horror!

One final saddle, from the same museum as that taxidermied horse in my other post. This one is on the Duchess's favorite mare, also taxidermied in 1500 or something like that; interesting resemblance to modern Portuguese saddles.

Stirrup from that same saddle:

'plash

Pepper sez: "Don't forget the horse!!"
'Plash's Ride Log

Edited by - puddleplasher on 06/05/2010 03:50:00 AM

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2010 :  11:44:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Those saddles a just neat. Wonder if I could convert one of those pistol holders to a Camera holder.

Gold stirrups would also be cool.

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

puddleplasher
Clinician

USA
1296 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2010 :  1:51:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit puddleplasher's Homepage Send puddleplasher a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A camera holster is a great idea! For you especially! And think of how that snazzy leopard cover would look.... ... it seems to be the "in thing" at least back then.

'plash

Pepper sez: "Don't forget the horse!!"
'Plash's Ride Log
Go to Top of Page

caitlyn.west
Tenderfoot

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2010 :  3:26:29 PM  Show Profile Send caitlyn.west a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh my, Those saddles are great!
Where is this place?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000