Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Caring and Owning Horses
 The Beginning Rider
 Keeper for now
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bethany
Advanced Rider

USA
165 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2009 :  1:42:44 PM  Show Profile Send Bethany a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi all, I've been reading but not posting lately.

It difficult to find western lessons in my area, English is the name of the game here. Until I find a someone who can help me learn I'm just going to be content to be a keeper and not a rider. I'm very comfortable with my horses in the our small pasture. Outside - I'm just too frightened & feel that I don't have enough tools to make good choices to keep us both safe. Coming to this decision has been a huge relief. My husband will continue to ride on and maybe some time in the future I will too.

Beth

puddleplasher
Clinician

USA
1296 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2009 :  2:40:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit puddleplasher's Homepage Send puddleplasher a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Bethany, I've missed your posts.

Keep in mind that you don't have to ride western to trail ride. Plenty of English-style riders do it too, it's not all stadium jumpers and dressage jackets out there. Keep up the hunt for a good lesson trainer, have fun & enjoy what you're doing, and don't worry too much about English or Western.

'plash

Pepper sez: "Don't forget the horse!!"
'Plash's Ride Log
Go to Top of Page

Montezrider
Clinician

USA
1284 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2009 :  08:34:24 AM  Show Profile Send Montezrider a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Are you wanting to show? If not, then like plash says it's not all about jumping and looking fancy. Good riding is all the same basically. I always rode western style as a kid, when I decided to take a few lessons, english was the only thing available to me so I went for it. I've never regretted it. Make it clear to the trainer that you just want to learn to ride good and safely , period.

A good rider has a thinking mind, fine emotions and a sensitive hand.-Tu Yu,72 BC

Go to Top of Page

EZ2SPOT
Clinician

USA
3785 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2009 :  11:05:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit EZ2SPOT's Homepage Send EZ2SPOT a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I couldn't agree more that it really doesn't matter whether your lessons are English or Western. I took lessons last spring and summer from an eventer/dressage rider, and it helped me a great deal, even though I ride Western at home and on the trails.

So please keep an open mind when looking for a riding instructor.

EZ2SPOT
Go to Top of Page

killybean907
Clinician

USA
1082 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2009 :  02:44:16 AM  Show Profile Send killybean907 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Everyone is right on....building rider confidence and balance is the same in all disciplines. Soft hands and a good seat is the same too.
I think what will help you the most, is to get those hours in the saddle....and what a great place to be!

It's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years.
Karen-Anchorage, Alaska
Go to Top of Page

PaintGal
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
5300 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2009 :  10:33:14 AM  Show Profile Send PaintGal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bethany,

You've got to do what you feel you are able to but taking English lessons is going to help a lot and you'll transfer what you've learned easily to a western saddle. If you really want to get on a horse then talk to the English instructors and tell them what your goals are. You might consider a few private lessons first and then join a group. You will learn a lot from each and I think it's important to learn to ride with others.

If you're happy watching and caring for horses from the ground then that's fine too! There's is a lot of satisfaction to be had from just grooming, feeding, hugging & watching horses.

Karen ~ Trails
&
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."

~~~~~~
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000