Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Saddle and Tack Topics
 Tack Questions and Comments
 splint boots, bell boots do you use?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

canine46
Beginning Rider

60 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2009 :  06:47:22 AM  Show Profile Send canine46 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Everyone
well another question- my friend cleaned out her tack room and gave me a set of front splint boots, bell boots and SMB II boots for copie.
personally i have never used any type of support boots or overreach boots etc on my horses. She is one that swears by them and uses bells and splints on her TB all the time.
As most of you know Copie and DH are doing the trails, which are pretty nice, some rocks and downed tree stuff but nothing really awful
and when he's practicing in the paddock it's mostly walk and trot although he's loping now a bit more. Copie doesn't overreach at all,
we are working them both on ground poles and some trail obstacles, but nothing strenuous.
So what are your opinions? my first reaction to my friend was no i don't need them but she insisted and said if i didn't use them, just sell them.
so use or sell?
thanks
jane

dunhorsechic
Trainer

USA
584 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2009 :  07:27:37 AM  Show Profile Send dunhorsechic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We trail ride, and always use front and back sports medicine boots to protect legs. They're a pain to keep burr-free and to clean up after riding, but well worth it.
A friend's horse stepped in a hole and removed skin from ankle to knee; she was riding without leg protection.
Last year after riding a rugged trail I removed boots and found a cut all the way thru. No cut on the horse's leg.

When I showed horses I always used leg protection when training.

I'd say keep 'em and use 'em! Even if you had to buy them, they're cheaper than vet bills.

If you can't be a good example, at least be a horrible warning.
Go to Top of Page

killybean907
Clinician

USA
1082 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2009 :  11:37:58 AM  Show Profile Send killybean907 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I always use them too. I have SMB Elite, front and back, for the protection when on the trails and working in the ring for the same reasons that dunhorsechic mentions. They hold up great and help with the "bangs and nicks" out in the woods! Make sure they fit well though...snug but not too tight.

It's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years.
Karen-Anchorage, Alaska
Go to Top of Page

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2009 :  6:31:19 PM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's nothing wrong in using boots to protect your horse's legs when you are working with them. John Lyons swears by Professional Choice Sport Medicine Boots and says you shouldn't ride without some kind of protection on your horse's legs any time you ride.

Now that I've said that, I will say that I never put support boots on my horses for trail riding. The only time I would, would be if I had a horse with a terrible problem of interference or when riding on frozen ground. When riding on hills that are frozen, the horse can sit back on their back legs and slide down on their back cannon bones. I did this once, and never gave it a thought. But once I was back to camp after the ride, I found that the backs of both hind legs had been skinned and were bleeding because the ground was frozen on the hills. I will never ride a horse on hills with the ground still frozen ever again without support boots of some kind.

"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

EZ2SPOT
Clinician

USA
3785 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2009 :  7:43:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit EZ2SPOT's Homepage Send EZ2SPOT a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So far, I've not used support boots when riding, but probably will use them on Warsong when I start riding her again after her tendon injury.

And I've been thinking of using them on Butterbrickle for trail riding. Not sure at this point. She REALLY hates having anything on her legs, so maybe I should just leave her alone.

Like RH, I don't think there's anything wrong with using them, and they could possibly prevent an injury; but, so far, my horses have been fine without them.

EZ2SPOT
Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6111 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2009 :  8:27:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I use SMB support boots on the front with Bell boots and SMB Skid boots on the back on Hookie when running barrels and poles at speed at home and at the shows, but not for normal riding or conditioning.

I want the extra impact protection and support at speed but want to strengthen tendons and tissues when conditioning without the extra support.

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

barrelracer1163
Groomer

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2017 :  1:19:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit barrelracer1163's Homepage Send barrelracer1163 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Whenever I am exercising my horse hard or going through Rough terrain on trails I always use sport boots! My two favorite Sport Boots would be the Classic Equine Legacy's I like how they give a lot of extra support. My second favorite pair is Professional's Choice VenTech Elites, I like how they are a conformed fit, and not bulky. Now if only I could combine both boots!

Rachael, Sales Expert @ HorseSaddleShop.com
Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6111 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2017 :  05:45:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I use SMB support boots on the front with Bell boots and SMB Skid boots on the back on Hookie when running barrels and poles at speed at home and at the shows, but not for normal riding or conditioning.

I want the extra impact protection and support at speed but want to strengthen tendons and tissues when conditioning without the extra support.

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000