Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Saddle and Tack Topics
 Fitting Your Saddle to You
 conformation that makes saddle searching a career
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Montezrider
Clinician

USA
1284 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2007 :  10:31:03 AM  Show Profile Send Montezrider a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Just thought I'd post a few shots of Montes back to show the kind of conformation that lots of arabs seem to have. The little dip behind his withers make saddle fitting a nightmare. They all seemed to bridge on him. I finally solved the problem for both of us by going treeless. It has made him a happy camper, and so many of the negatives in his behavior disappeared. I cringe now when I think of how uncomfortable he must have been.

Heres a shot from the front to back.

Heres one from the side that really shows that little dip.

I'm not trying to sell treeless to anyone, but for some of us it became a desperation kind of thing. It is another option out there that is available for us riders who seem to be on the endless saddle hunt!
Cindy

A good rider has a thinking mind, fine emotions and a sensitive hand.-Tu Yu,72 BC

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2007 :  7:53:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Boy, Monte sure does have a high transition from the back to the withers. Glad you found a solution. A few folks have had good success with the treeless saddles. If you get the right fit in the withers the rest of the saddle conforms to horse back.

I think there is even a treeless barrel saddle but I haven't actually found one yet.

Thanks for sharing your success.

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

Stormie
Clinician

1630 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2007 :  11:07:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Stormie's Homepage Send Stormie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are treeless Barrle Saddles. The BM have one.

Treeless helps with some impossible to fit horses but not all. I can see where it would help a case like this. There is a Have A Heart Pad that can sometimes help with cases like this and the Port Lewis might help too but personally I really don't think they would help that much. How does it feel to ride him treeless and what brand did you get?
Go to Top of Page

Montezrider
Clinician

USA
1284 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2007 :  09:46:15 AM  Show Profile Send Montezrider a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I first bought a BM endurance saddle, and it worked great for him. I loved it too, but I have short legs and I needed more range of motion in the stirrup leathers. So, although it was working, I was struggling more than I wanted to to get a leg on him, as he is round also.
Then I bought a Freeform, short back, soft base model. This saddle has worked perfectly for both of us.
One of the biggest differences you will notice with a treeless, is that you really feel your horses movements. Almost like you would riding bareback. Makes sense of course, since there is less solid structure between you and his back.
He moves freely in this saddle and I can tell he is very comfortable, his attitude is more relaxed and we have been able to get down to the business of learning and riding and really enjoying it now. I am so glad that I found this option, I feel really bad about the discomfort I was making him endure with our old english saddle. To his credit, he was very kind in that saddle , just too spooky and edgy. He could have been a bucking maniac. In fact, for some insane reason which I don't remember now.... I actually tried his old saddle on him after riding treeless for a year or so. He was very kind in trot, but when I asked him to canter he bucked after the first stride or two.
Being real swift on the uptake.... I got the message. Of course, not before I tasted some dirt though.
Cindy

A good rider has a thinking mind, fine emotions and a sensitive hand.-Tu Yu,72 BC

Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2007 :  06:08:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I did a BM saddle search on Google and found some barrel saddles. According to the site Circle Y also makes a treeless saddle. I never heard of that before. I would like to try one if I could find a local one to borrow.

I could not find any information on sizing the gullet for the horse but lots of information about sizing the saddle to the person. It does not appear from the pictures or descriptions that the gullet is any different than a regular tree saddle but the flex from the gullet back allows the saddle to conform to the horses back.

Interesting.

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

Chuck
Forum Admin

USA
1265 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2007 :  07:53:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Chuck's Homepage Send Chuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Circle Y used to make the Bob Marshall treeless in both trail and barrel version. The Circle Y/Bob Marshall relationship went sour several years ago and Circle Y has not made the treless since.

Chuck

Horse Saddle Shop

http://www.horsesaddleshop.com
Go to Top of Page

Stormie
Clinician

1630 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2007 :  11:42:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Stormie's Homepage Send Stormie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hook

From what I was told the Endur. style was the widest of the BM saddles and I believe it was just over 7" but was not wide enough for the horse I was shopping for. The others where not as wide. I did get a chance to try a BM on Jazz last year but not ride in it. The woman would have had a cow and it was right after Jazz got her shoulders back in so I wasn't going to ride her anyway. The thing perched up on her back...looked like I had put a matress up there and strapped it on. The woman swore it would fit better with the Skito pad....since there was just a thin towel under it at this time I don't know how the thick 1" pad would have been any better. It would have beeen like riding a foot above the horse! The gullet was not wide enough for her and it was long for her back but I just can't see the BM being a good choice for Jazz.
Go to Top of Page

iridehorses
Tenderfoot

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2008 :  08:08:50 AM  Show Profile Send iridehorses a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just joined and was looking over some posts when I came across this one. Boy-o-boy can I relate! I just got an older former cutter/turnback horse. He has a nice back and a good wither but my 7" gullet Wade saddle sits too low. It seems to have been a common problem since he has some white on his withers.

I've gone to using a build up pad and that solves the way the saddle sits on him but I still have that hollow behind his withers. That spot is "dry" but not from pinching. The question is new saddle that may fit his withers but not his back or keep the buildup pad? BTW he goes without complaint with the pad. The idea of the pad may be bothering me more then him. Whatchthink?

There are only two things that scare a horse ... things that move and things that don't.

The Judge: http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/lintons+hangin+judge

Edited by - iridehorses on 07/28/2008 08:13:58 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000