Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Caring and Owning Horses
 The Beginning Rider
 New here....
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

PintoLover
Tenderfoot

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2009 :  6:29:25 PM  Show Profile Send PintoLover a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm finally taking the plunge and joining here after lurking for several weeks!
I am going to be an older rider- though not completely new, I rode plenty in my younger years, but it has been- do I have to say?!!!- so many years!!!
I have a plan. My plan is to start taking riding lessons, find a stable nearby to help out at- there is actually a horse rescue stable right up the road that I would love to volunteer at, then find a place to board and either lease or buy a horse by the end of the summer.
I used to be a good rider. I have always loved horses, and it was the one thing that I always wanted that my dad would never allow me to have.
I am in fairly good shape, but am nervous about lessons, BUT I also can't wait!!!
I have lots and lots of questions, which I will take one at a time, but I wanted to introduce myself for now. <waves> Hi everyone!

Montezrider
Clinician

USA
1284 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2009 :  7:14:23 PM  Show Profile Send Montezrider a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Hello and welcome!
It sounds like a good plan to me! Just take it one step at a time, owning a horse puts you in a whole other world than just going to take lessons on someone elses horse. You are in good company here, so many of us rode as youngsters then came back as "mature" riders. Being in good shape helps, but don't be surprised if you have a whole other set of muscles screamin' at you than you usually use. Look forward to hearing more from you.

A good rider has a thinking mind, fine emotions and a sensitive hand.-Tu Yu,72 BC

Go to Top of Page

PaintGal
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
5300 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2009 :  9:07:10 PM  Show Profile Send PaintGal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome to DE!

Many of us on DE are "mature" riders! LOL! I was never without a horse but spent many years not riding much so have a lot to make up for now.

I agree with the plan to take lessons and if you can take lessons on YOUR horse, it's even better. What type of riding did you do?

Karen ~ Trails
&
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."

~~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

EZ2SPOT
Clinician

USA
3785 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2009 :  9:07:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit EZ2SPOT's Homepage Send EZ2SPOT a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with Monte, you have a good plan there. So many people just jump in and buy the first horse they come across, and it often turns out to be totally unsuitable for them.

Welcome to the DE!

EZ2SPOT
Go to Top of Page

Rick Byers
Trainer

USA
545 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2009 :  10:38:40 PM  Show Profile Send Rick Byers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome to DE and I agree you have good plan to go by. I also am a mature rider. I grew up with Horses but was away from them until 6 years ago. Oh remember when you start the lessons we like pictures. Rick

Sassy the 15 year old Arab thinks she is hot stuff, Loving memory of India Diamond the 23 year old Arab . Sky the 15 old TWH knows she is pretty and flaunts it all the time. Sarphina has finally adjusted to all the Diva's. Color Me Fancy the coming 3 year old is trying to become lead Diva.
Go to Top of Page

killybean907
Clinician

USA
1082 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2009 :  02:18:43 AM  Show Profile Send killybean907 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi PintoLover, and welcome from me too!
Sounds like you're already one of the crowd here...and your plan seems like a smart one to me, it will give you a chance to let your confidence build back up.

Are you going to be riding english or western now? I rode hunt seat and had a jumper "many moons" ago...but my passion now is western and hope to dabble into working cows some! Keep us posted on how the plan is progressing....and you MUST know by now, since you've been lurking, that we LOVE pictures! Have any other animals?

It's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years.
Karen-Anchorage, Alaska
Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2009 :  05:42:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PintoLover

I'm finally taking the plunge and joining here after lurking for several weeks!
I am going to be an older rider- though not completely new, I rode plenty in my younger years, but it has been- do I have to say?!!!- so many years!!!
I have a plan. My plan is to start taking riding lessons, find a stable nearby to help out at- there is actually a horse rescue stable right up the road that I would love to volunteer at, then find a place to board and either lease or buy a horse by the end of the summer.
I used to be a good rider. I have always loved horses, and it was the one thing that I always wanted that my dad would never allow me to have.
I am in fairly good shape, but am nervous about lessons, BUT I also can't wait!!!
I have lots and lots of questions, which I will take one at a time, but I wanted to introduce myself for now. <waves> Hi everyone!

Hi PintoLover, Welcome to the Forum.

A lurker for several weeks huh.......

You are in good company here as many of us have had the "second coming" to horses and some have had horses forever.

You have an excellent plan. Taking some time to be around horses, lessons then if all works a horse for you. Good plan.

Take your time, ease into it, make really sure you are ready for this lifestyle change. Take your time in finding the horse of your dreams. A very large commitment.

I am glad you decided to share it with us.

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

PintoLover
Tenderfoot

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2009 :  08:19:58 AM  Show Profile Send PintoLover a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, thanks everyone for the welcome! :)
I really am excited!
Right now, I am trying hard to find a place to take lessons. You'd think living in the country there would be a lot of places around... but there's not! We are in prime apple country here, so most of the land is given over to apple farms. There is one place about 1/2 hour away, where my older girls took lessons about 12 years ago, I was going to drive over there today to see if they still give them...
I do have 2 acquaintances who may be able to help me out. Both have horses, I know one of them has a stable, so will also ask them if they know anyone.
Let's see-
Karen- I took English lessons, but rode mostly Western, which I am planning on sticking with- of course that could change!
Killybean- you know I can't ever remember jumping! I don't think I did, and it really doesn't sound appealing right now, but again that could change!
I do have 2 Golden Retrievers- Bonnie, 20 months, and Bear, 18 months, who are my babies, since my human babies are grown and out of the house. I keep telling them how much they will love having horses around! :)
I have seen soooo many horses for sale lately, is it the time of year? Prices seem to be good too, the sad thing is how many rescue horses there are out there. :( I would love to adopt a rescue horse some day... As you can probably tell by my forum name, I love Pinto's, but am open to whoever comes along that's right for me, and I'm right for him!
Go to Top of Page

Colleen
Trainer

Canada
940 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2009 :  08:54:46 AM  Show Profile Send Colleen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi and welcome to such a amazing group of horse lovers here. I'm sort of in your situation. Been around horses a long time whenI was young but my parents couldn't afford to give me lessons let alone a horse. IN my twenties rode a lot but still couldn't afford it, then in my thirties took lessons but had kids growing up then,they took lessons and love horses too. Now in my Fifties, kids are gone and I still want to persue my dream of having my own horse and I think its coming soon now. So its never too late. I'm finding out now that riding a horse all your life and owning one is a big difference. So much to learn and I'm learning it all here.

Colleen who hopes to have a horse soon.

The air of heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears -- Arabian proverb

Go to Top of Page

appygirl
Clinician

USA
3211 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2009 :  09:26:49 AM  Show Profile Send appygirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome to DE, Pinto Lover. Good luck in finding a stable for your lessons. I think you are going about it the right way. After your lessons, you might seriously look into adopting a rescued horse, as finding good homes for the horses is tantamount for any rescue agency.

I take it that you live somewhere in the northwest (surrounded by apple farms)? My guess is Washington state? I live in the heart of horse country, Kentucky. I am presently horseless, but my passion for them is evergreen and non-dying, plus I get to live vicariously through exposure to my friends' horses.

Appygirl

Man does not have the only memory,
The animals remember,
The earth remembers,
The stones remember,
If you know how to listen, they will tell you many things.
- Claude Kuwanijuma - Hopi Spiritual leader

Go to Top of Page

Arenadirt
Trainer

USA
670 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2009 :  12:25:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Arenadirt's Homepage Send Arenadirt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello Pinto Lover,

Nothing much to add except another welcome!

I'm another "born again" equestrian. Grew up with golden retrievers, rode a ton as a youth, then took it up again about 12 years ago in my late 40s. Have had great instruction and training (the key IMHO) and now compete successfully (by my own measure ) in cutting and versatility ranch horse. It's been a blast. We also have a golden - he's wonderful with the horses, exercises plenty of caution but is not afraid of them. He has had the benefit of our other dog's wisdom - she's a heeler/border collie and is very savvy about all kinds of livestock.

Embrace the adventure! You're going to love it.
Go to Top of Page

hoopski
Advanced Rider

USA
419 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2009 :  1:33:12 PM  Show Profile Send hoopski a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by appygirlI take it that you live somewhere in the northwest (surrounded by apple farms

Her profile says New York.
Go to Top of Page

PintoLover
Tenderfoot

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2009 :  07:58:53 AM  Show Profile Send PintoLover a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do live in NY!! We're second in apple production in the country, and this area especially, close to Lake Ontario is mostly apple farms. We hardly ever see cows around, for the big dairy farms we have to go south away from the lake! It will be gorgeous here in a couple of weeks when the apple blossoms are out....sigh, maybe next year I will be able ride through the orchards!
Still have yet to find a place to take lesson, grrr!
Go to Top of Page

hmeyer
Clinician

USA
2194 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2009 :  09:15:18 AM  Show Profile Send hmeyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi PintoLover... welcome!
I am not a mature rider... but I am OLD!
My wife and I got started in horses at the tender age of 50, along with our son, who has proven to us that youth really helps.
I ride a fabulous Paint, my wife rides an Arab, our son has a MO Foxtrotter and a Belgian, and I also have a grade horse that I used to try to ride, without much success!
Looking forward to hearing about your equine adventures, and eventually your acquisition of a partner.

"You learn a thing a day, you store up smart" - Festus Haggen

"A manís soul canít be hidden,
From the creatures in his care." -
Hard Candy Cowboy by Debra Meyer

Go to Top of Page

puddleplasher
Clinician

USA
1296 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2009 :  10:17:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit puddleplasher's Homepage Send puddleplasher a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Darn it, when I read about the apples I was really hoping for another WA state rider! Oh well. Upstate NY is lovely too, probably lots of pretty places to ride. You'd think, to go with that, there'd be places to get lessons. Keep asking around, there are often hidden spots that only other horse people know about, for riding or lessons. Keep asking around, check bulletin boards at tack or feed stores, etc. And you can sometimes find out useful info by asking people who they DON'T recommend -- take it with a grain of salt because you mind be finding out more about the recommender than the recommendee, but still useful information! Good luck with the search.

'plash

Pepper sez: "Don't forget the horse!!"
'Plash's Ride Log
Go to Top of Page

ArborealEquine
Advanced Rider

433 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2009 :  2:32:36 PM  Show Profile Send ArborealEquine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by puddleplasher

Darn it, when I read about the apples I was really hoping for another WA state rider! Oh well. Upstate NY is lovely too, probably lots of pretty places to ride.

And I saw upstate NY, and thought the good Dr and I might have a ridin' buddy, but it's the other end of upstate.

AE

ArborealEquine
Advanced Rider

433 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2009 :  2:45:40 PM  Show Profile Send ArborealEquine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PintoLover
[I have seen soooo many horses for sale lately, is it the time of year? Prices seem to be good too, the sad thing is how many rescue horses there are out there. :(

Unfortunately, it's that time of the economy - for the number of horses for sale, low prices, and the number of rescues.

Welcome to the forum! I came to riding later in life too, dragged there by my wife, who has been riding since she was 7. You're in good company on this board. Sounds like you've got a good plan - I was schooled by the lovely Dora, a Percheron mare for 3 months before we got Bear. Nothing like learning on something akin to riding around the ring on a sofa. You'll always remember you're first teacher...

AE

Montezrider
Clinician

USA
1284 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2009 :  4:00:48 PM  Show Profile Send Montezrider a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Hmmmmm... I've heard of a desk jockey...but a sofa jockey?

A good rider has a thinking mind, fine emotions and a sensitive hand.-Tu Yu,72 BC

Go to Top of Page

tagnrocky
Clinician

USA
1776 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2009 :  5:21:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit tagnrocky's Homepage Send tagnrocky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome PintoLover! I'm a little late in my welcome, but I too am an OLD rider! Never too late to live your dream though!
Good luck on your lessons & horse hunting and keep us posted on your progress.

Nancy (and Tag & Rocky)
Free & easy down the trail I go......
Go to Top of Page

ArborealEquine
Advanced Rider

433 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2009 :  7:40:05 PM  Show Profile Send ArborealEquine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Montezrider

Hmmmmm... I've heard of a desk jockey...but a sofa jockey?

Yeah! I'd have to roll over three times to fall off! She was a great adult beginner horse - and her "go to" gait was the plod.

AE

classair
Groomer

43 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2009 :  12:17:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit classair's Homepage Send classair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi PintoLover, and welcome to DE,

Sounds like you have a plan stick with it and work your plan! I especially like the idea of helping at the horse rescue, most facilities could use the extra help and who knows you might find the four-legged love of your life there. Most of the folks here have a few miles under our belts and will lend a helping hand or idea. Stay safe and <waves> back.

There are only two emotions that belong in the saddle; one is a sense of humor and the other is patience.

Horses are my form of stress therapy. I would rather be in a saddle than on a couch!

Habits are first cobwebs and then cables.

Treat a woman like a horse, and a horse like a woman, and they both will do their best to please you.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=prWOiL1m4S1eEqnaeDas0VQ
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.15 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000