Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Caring and Owning Horses
 Horse Training
 Spooking at Things on the Right
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

EZ2SPOT
Clinician

USA
3785 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2011 :  8:37:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit EZ2SPOT's Homepage Send EZ2SPOT a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just finished reading an article in the August issue of Horse & Rider, where Clinton Anderson talks about having to train both sides of the horse, and how a horse can see something on one side, and then it is like new to him/her when he sees it on the other side.

Well, I KNEW that, but then he said that horses will typically spook more at things on their right, because they are more used to being handled (and seeing things) on their left. WEll, DUH, I'd never really thought about it that way! It explains a lot; like why I can ride along the tree line here at home, and Warsong is fine when it is on her left, but as spooky as can be when it is on her right. LOL, also explains why I always go off on the right; horse spooks at things on the right, and ducks or spins to the left, leaving me behind.

Clinton suggested spending 2/3rds of your training time working on the right. Not sure if that means GOING to the right, or just spending more time on the right side (de-spooking, flag work, etc.). It is sure worth a try!

EZ2SPOT

PaintGal
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
5300 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2011 :  08:54:48 AM  Show Profile Send PaintGal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That does make sense! I think most trainers make sure to do the same things on both sides with a young horse but how many of us stand on the horse's right side and mess around? I know I'm usually on Joe's left side.

Karen ~ Trails
&
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."

~~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2011 :  10:09:55 AM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Something like that does make sense. The problem is I'm a creature of habit. After leading my horse from the left for such a long time, I would have to re-train myself along with my horse.

It might not be quite this bad, but to me that would almost be like learning to write left handed after writing all my life with my right. LOL Try this sometime to get an idea what I'm up against; Stand up and cross your arms in front of you. Almost all of us will do it the same way every time. I always cross my right arm over my left. Then I noticed some people do it opposite of me. So I tried it that way just for fun. I couldn't believe how awkward that felt.

I can't remember which horse I had at the time, but there was some reason I had to lead him (her?) from the right, and he kept trying to get back to my other side. He just could not understand why, all-of-a-sudden, I wanted to change something that we'd done that way from when he was a youngster now. It just felt weird to him for me to lead him from what he thought was the wrong side .

When it comes to spooking, I really haven't seen that much difference in my horses as to which side they spook from the most. I do agree with CA though. What he says makes perfect sense.

"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Cayuse
Advanced Rider

Canada
156 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2011 :  11:21:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Cayuse's Homepage Send Cayuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When I was working with youngsters I used to make a point to do ground work from both sides, and dismount the odd time from the off side. I never did learn to mount from the off side though--not limber enough! lol. Even today with an older horse, I will sometimes, just to get attention do ground work from the off side.

Cayuse
A lovely horse is always an experience...It is an emotional experience of the kind that is spoiled by words. Beryl Markham
Riding is a complicated joy. You learn something each time. It is never quite the same, and you never know it all. Monica Dickens
Go to Top of Page

EZ2SPOT
Clinician

USA
3785 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2011 :  7:54:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit EZ2SPOT's Homepage Send EZ2SPOT a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Habits being hard to break...that is for sure! When riding, I feel more secure going to the left, especially when cantering. I have a very hard time of it when going to the right. No wonder my horses are not comfortable with that, either! A few years back, when I was taking lessons at the hunter/jumper stable, the instructor commented that the way I looked going to the right, versus going to the left, was almost like I was two different people.

In the last 14 years, I have had 6 "unscheduled dismounts," and all of them were to the right!

Cayuse, with the help of a mounting block, I can get on from the right...but, for the life of me, I can't get off on that side!

EZ2SPOT
Go to Top of Page

Arenadirt
Trainer

USA
670 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2011 :  5:24:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Arenadirt's Homepage Send Arenadirt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've noticed that in warmup arenas people spend far more time going to the left than to the right - drives me nuts. When I first brought Seven home, Kit Carpenter (RIP) strongly urged me to tack up, mount, dismount, lead, lope etc. from both sides as evenly as possible. That turned out to be very helpful.

EZ: In the last 14 years, I have had 6 "unscheduled dismounts," and all of them were to the right!

Cayuse, with the help of a mounting block, I can get on from the right...but, for the life of me, I can't get off on that side!

Apparently you can - if it's not scheduled?

"There is something about the outside of a horse...that is good for the inside of a man." ~Winston Churchill~
Go to Top of Page

EZ2SPOT
Clinician

USA
3785 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2011 :  6:03:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit EZ2SPOT's Homepage Send EZ2SPOT a Private Message  Reply with Quote
LOL, AD! Yup, I CAN get off on the right, as long as I don't plan to!

EZ2SPOT
Go to Top of Page

Stormie
Clinician

1630 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2011 :  7:26:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Stormie's Homepage Send Stormie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do make a point of training on the right but I don't have to stop and think about what I'm doing over there. I can mount and dismount from the right and lead no problem. I can pony a horse from either side, even saddle and bridle/halter a horse from the right. But then again I can do a lot of things left handed even though I am basically right handed. I shoot left handed, both pistol and rifle, I can draw or write with either hand and since my hand writing is hard to read either way it's hard to tell when I'm writing left handed. Tying knots, batting, even sewing I can do left or right. I have worked at a number of places where I had to lead more then one horse at a time or be able to jump off a horse when getting off on the left was not possible or safe so it is useful to be able to do those things to the right.
I got such a rap from the guys for shooting left handed when I was right handed that I taught myself to use either or both eyes and can now shoot left or right with either eye or both eyes and can even out shoot them doing it. Bites their butts that a girl can do that and they can't.
Go to Top of Page

EZ2SPOT
Clinician

USA
3785 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2011 :  09:52:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit EZ2SPOT's Homepage Send EZ2SPOT a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Way to go, Stormie! Really, we should all try to be better about doing things on the sides that are harder for us. I'm sure it would improve both us and our horses.

EZ2SPOT
Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2011 :  09:58:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looks like I need to do a bit more mounting/dismounting practise on the right side but I'm pretty good on the riding part. Make sure Hookie is worked both ways in the outdoor ring and Poles and barrels work both sides.

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2011 :  3:09:49 PM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hook

Looks like I need to do a bit more mounting/dismounting practise on the right side but I'm pretty good on the riding part. Make sure Hookie is worked both ways in the outdoor ring and Poles and barrels work both sides.

That's pretty much how I train too, Hook. My horse is probably more balanced than I am in that respect .

"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Stormie
Clinician

1630 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2011 :  3:35:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Stormie's Homepage Send Stormie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ya I love out shooting the guys. I never really got into it until last year when I got my CW Permit so we can carry when walking the dogs and snowshoeing. Better safe then sorry. Now I shoot pistol and rifle. I love the little 22's for target shooting and what to get a Mark III pistol next. My rifle is a Ruger 10/20....never thought I would be bouncing off the walls to get a rifle for my b-day. Now to get the horses better at gun fire and try mounting shooing.
Go to Top of Page

fracturedbones
Clinician

3424 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2011 :  1:47:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit fracturedbones's Homepage Send fracturedbones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting topic. I will do things both sides, but thinking about it in the arena, my fjord does tend to spook to the right more.

Hot air balloons often pass over my property while riding. The horses usually ignore them, I don't notice them looking up, even with the loud noise they make when giving the gas to the balloon. Yesterday one dipped super low while riding the fjord. I am not sure if it was the noise or him catching a glimpse of it, but he spooked big. We sure put on a show for the balloon people.... pretty sure that balloon was low enough to see the whole thing!!

So, maybe I have to teach the fjord on both sides and above????

Here's an old pic of them passing over the corrals...but much higher

Edited by - fracturedbones on 07/31/2011 2:07:55 PM
Go to Top of Page

EZ2SPOT
Clinician

USA
3785 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2011 :  6:30:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit EZ2SPOT's Homepage Send EZ2SPOT a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bones, hot air balloons also frequently pass over my property. The horses don't seem to pay much attention to them unless they are really low. That happened maybe a year or so ago, and I was shaking like a leaf by the time I got Warsong back to the barn! And, really, it wasn't so much that SHE was afraid, as that I was afraid she would totally freak out.

Hope the folks in the balloon enjoyed your show!!

EZ2SPOT
Go to Top of Page

Stormie
Clinician

1630 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2011 :  7:29:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Stormie's Homepage Send Stormie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We don't get hot air balloons around here but they do play war games over the farm which is a lot of fun to watch. I have seen the horses watching the lights at night when the planes are low. Jazz is normally the one watching them.
Go to Top of Page

Arenadirt
Trainer

USA
670 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2011 :  7:53:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Arenadirt's Homepage Send Arenadirt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stormie

I do make a point of training on the right but I don't have to stop and think about what I'm doing over there. I can mount and dismount from the right and lead no problem. I can pony a horse from either side, even saddle and bridle/halter a horse from the right. But then again I can do a lot of things left handed even though I am basically right handed. I shoot left handed, both pistol and rifle, I can draw or write with either hand and since my hand writing is hard to read either way it's hard to tell when I'm writing left handed. Tying knots, batting, even sewing I can do left or right. I have worked at a number of places where I had to lead more then one horse at a time or be able to jump off a horse when getting off on the left was not possible or safe so it is useful to be able to do those things to the right.
I got such a rap from the guys for shooting left handed when I was right handed that I taught myself to use either or both eyes and can now shoot left or right with either eye or both eyes and can even out shoot them doing it. Bites their butts that a girl can do that and they can't.

Bites my butt that anyone can do that.

"There is something about the outside of a horse...that is good for the inside of a man." ~Winston Churchill~
Go to Top of Page

Stormie
Clinician

1630 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2011 :  10:15:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Stormie's Homepage Send Stormie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
lol I'm getting a little too into the gun thing. I have a pistol and a rifle and of course my dibs on a few family guns but I found my next pistol. A cute little short barrel Mark III. It's a stainless, fluted barrel and rosewood grips, a very nice target gun. Now I just need the $500+ and then I can stop borrowing Levi's Mark II and III for target shooting.
I'm trying to con the guys into setting up a shooting range with some of the set ups on Top Shot.
Go to Top of Page

Arenadirt
Trainer

USA
670 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2011 :  08:17:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Arenadirt's Homepage Send Arenadirt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

lol I'm getting a little too into the gun thing. I have a pistol and a rifle and of course my dibs on a few family guns but I found my next pistol. A cute little short barrel Mark III. It's a stainless, fluted barrel and rosewood grips, a very nice target gun. Now I just need the $500+ and then I can stop borrowing Levi's Mark II and III for target shooting.
I'm trying to con the guys into setting up a shooting range with some of the set ups on Top Shot.

That sounds like much fun... was just watching that show yesterday!

Haven't shot in over 20 years, but last week got an invite to a 2-day workout with four spec ops guys; 5-6 weapons (none of which I've ever shot - all military) and ~1000 rounds. I expect to be very sore!

Go to Top of Page

Stormie
Clinician

1630 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2011 :  11:35:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Stormie's Homepage Send Stormie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oooo Fun!! Levi has a membership with the local camp that has a range so we go shoot once or twice a week in the winter. Not so much in the summer because of having more to do on the farm. There are a couple of targets here at the farm but the Pyrenees are scared to death of guns so if we shoot here we have to chase dogs or lock them up which isn't easy. They can get out of a lot of stuff that you wouldn't think they could. The old farm is just a mile or so away. It's only 40 acres. My sister lives there but no cattle or horses. She has a bird dog so guns aren't anything to him. I think it would be ideal to set up some of the targets they have on Top Shot out there. Everyone in the family shoots and after Aug everyone will have CWPs. Right now the only ones that don't are my mom, SIL and BIL. Ya we are gun toting Yoopers up here but it is more of a safety thing. We 4 wheel, horse back ride, walk and snowshoe and the wolves and bears are very common and a problem. Better to carry and not need it then need it and not have it. Wolves have been spotted twice in the last week and a half by where we take the dogs to the river to play.
Go to Top of Page

Arenadirt
Trainer

USA
670 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2011 :  6:24:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Arenadirt's Homepage Send Arenadirt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

[warning - thread drift]
Stormie, I finally got to go out with a firearms trainer and blow through a bunch of mags - with an AR15 and a Glock 17 - what a cool experience. I really love the AR, but the best thing was... those newfangled electronic ears! Holy moly - you can hold a conversation in a normal voice, but the guns sound like capguns. No hearing deficit at all, and after literally hundreds of rounds. I might become a firearms fan one of these days, over my wife's striden protests.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.15 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000