Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Caring and Owning Horses
 Horse Appraisal and Conformation
 new poster, with new horse!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

PalRider
Tenderfoot

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2009 :  1:30:41 PM  Show Profile Send PalRider a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone..I've been following the forums for a while, and just bought my first horse after college and decided to join you guys! Here is my new project...he's 3 yrs old, Conclusive lines and sired by TNT Gold. He's about 15" now but should mature to around 15'3-16. we couldn't get a great picture yesterday but here are a few, would love to know what everyone thinks of him!

[URL=http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2185560870105317182wmuGyb][/URL]

[URL=http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2070329060105317182TPseBi][/URL]

hmeyer
Clinician

USA
2194 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2009 :  1:53:57 PM  Show Profile Send hmeyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi PalRider. Welcome to !!
Nice looking palamino! Is he broke yet, or are you just now starting him? Would love to know more about your plans for him.

I am in Indiana. My wife and I, along with our grown son, just got into horses about 6 years ago, at the tender age of 50. You are so lucky to be getting started when you are still young enough to learn! We have 5 horses now and are having a blast. I hope you are, too!

Stick around and tell us more!

"You learn a thing a day, you store up smart" - Festus Haggen

"A manís soul canít be hidden,
From the creatures in his care." -
Hard Candy Cowboy by Debra Meyer

Go to Top of Page

PaintGal
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
5300 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2009 :  2:38:59 PM  Show Profile Send PaintGal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome to DE!

He looks like a nice horse! What are your plans for him? Are you going to show? What type of riding do you do? Have you ridden before? What's his name? LOL! You've got lots of questions to answer!

I look forward to getting to know you & your horse better!

Karen ~ Trails
&
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."

~~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

ILoveJoe
Clinician

USA
2499 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2009 :  3:10:06 PM  Show Profile Send ILoveJoe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome to DE. You have a nice looking horse. Tell us more.

Go to Top of Page

Montezrider
Clinician

USA
1284 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2009 :  3:46:12 PM  Show Profile Send Montezrider a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Hi there, and welcome! You do have a good looking guy there, very solid build and pretty color too. Tell us more?

A good rider has a thinking mind, fine emotions and a sensitive hand.-Tu Yu,72 BC

Go to Top of Page

appygirl
Clinician

USA
3211 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2009 :  4:35:18 PM  Show Profile Send appygirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi, Palrider. Your boy sure is nice looking....and big! I'm sure you are tickled pink. How many hours are you spending at the barn? Keep the pictures coming! Oh, and welcome to DE!

Appygirl

Man does not have the only memory,
The animals remember,
The earth remembers,
The stones remember,
If you know how to listen, they will tell you many things.
- Claude Kuwanijuma - Hopi Spiritual leader

Go to Top of Page

FLOOPER
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2493 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2009 :  4:46:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit FLOOPER's Homepage Send FLOOPER a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome to DE! What a pretty horse. We look forward to hearing more about him.

Flooper

"I'm a man. I can change. If I have to. I guess."
The Man's Prayer from the Red Green Show
Go to Top of Page

beccajane
Trainer

USA
985 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2009 :  5:08:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit beccajane's Homepage Send beccajane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He's gorgeous! I didn't get my first horse until I was out of school and he was a palomino also, 2 years old. We learned a lot together and I had him for 30 years! I hope you and your horse enjoy each other as much as we did! We taught each other so much! Loved seeing the pictures! Brought back many happy memories and I wish the same for you two! Can't wait to hear more about him!
Go to Top of Page

PalRider
Tenderfoot

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2009 :  5:38:05 PM  Show Profile Send PalRider a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey, thanks for the replies! I've been riding my whole life, just out of college with the 4 year degree. I'm working fulltime but am spending late-afternoons out there then helping with feeding to work off some of the board. He's unbroken, I'm planning on doing the groundwork and basics, ground driving, then putting the basics on him and seeing what he wants to turn into. I used to show mostly western..WP/horsemanship and western riding so that's my ideal plan for him. He also picked up the basic showmanship moves within a week of working so I'm thinking that's a good prospect too! Okay once again thanks for the responses, and glad to hear good stories from you guys! hope to hear more eventually :)
Go to Top of Page

killybean907
Clinician

USA
1082 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2009 :  02:18:37 AM  Show Profile Send killybean907 a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Welcome to the forum PalRider! You have a good looking gelding with some great color. Keep us posted on how your work with him goes, and HAVE FUN!

It's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years.
Karen-Anchorage, Alaska
Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2009 :  06:36:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the Forum PalRider. You have a very nice baby there with some well respected. Quarterhorse bloodlines.

Training a horse (BTW what is his name) is a very rewarding sometimes frustrating experience. Trust in yourself and your horse and remember good horse training is really just a lot of little successes.

I wish you the same kind of experience as Beccajane with making him a life long companion.

Please send a few more pictures when you have time and keep us up to date with his training.

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

PalRider
Tenderfoot

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2009 :  11:14:26 AM  Show Profile Send PalRider a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I only have one update, which is that i found his vice...lol I knew he had to have one for the price I got him for, but hadn't found it yet. He apparently enjoys rearing up, a lot. I've got him doing basic showmanship, moving away from pressure and giving his head, whoaing and walk/trotting both ways on the longe line, minus the time he likes to spend in the air. He hasn't done it leading yet except when we tried to get him on the trailer, but I'm a little concerned about it while longing, and therefore won't try ground driving until we break him out of that little habit. I might try the training forum and see if anyone wants to share "my horse likes to rear" stories and experiences :) Anyway.. here's another pic, (and I know he's filthy, I bathed him after working with him!) I know he wants to be a pleasure horse...or a trick pony haha

[URL=http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2785163850105317182oahdvI][/URL]

[URL=http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2186746470105317182vYLcvS][/URL]
Go to Top of Page

hoopski
Advanced Rider

USA
419 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2009 :  2:29:02 PM  Show Profile Send hoopski a Private Message  Reply with Quote
DON'T DO THIS AT HOME (or anywhere else)!

Years ago my FIL trained a horse to rear on command. He thought it would make a nice showy trick. The horse agreed and decided it would be fun to do all on his own. FIL realized it would be too dangerous (especially if he ever sold the horse) so to train him out of it he would clobber the horse over the head with a board when he reared.

Different times, different methods.
Go to Top of Page

killybean907
Clinician

USA
1082 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2009 :  3:26:35 PM  Show Profile Send killybean907 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hoopski

DON'T DO THIS AT HOME (or anywhere else)!

Years ago my FIL trained a horse to rear on command. He thought it would make a nice showy trick. The horse agreed and decided it would be fun to do all on his own. FIL realized it would be too dangerous (especially if he ever sold the horse) so to train him out of it he would clobber the horse over the head with a board when he reared.

Different times, different methods.

Boy, don't know how many times I've heard that one too, and the egg smashed between the ears (now where do they carry those eggs while riding a rearing horse???).....but I've always wondered if a rolled up newspaper would work?

Rearing can be VERY dangerous though, so please be extremely careful, and find professional help if it's beyond your level of experience.

What triggers the rearing, is it random...or when he has bit pressure on his mouth? What type of bit are you using? Have his teeth and mouth been checked? Back pain? Just throwing a few things out that I'd start with.

It's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years.
Karen-Anchorage, Alaska
Go to Top of Page

PalRider
Tenderfoot

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2009 :  5:44:22 PM  Show Profile Send PalRider a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah Hoop I am pretty sure no one has trained him for it :) He hasn't been ridden or bitted or even saddled or any of that, the people claim to have done nothing with him up until this point (he's barely 3, I guess they didn't want to do anything wrong). I think at some point they did something screwy trying to longe him though, because he seems to just randomly panic and go up instead of forward. I've got him desentized to the longe whip which helped a lot, am not using the chain which also panics him..a round pen would probably be better at this point but there isn't one, so I'm trying to just calm him down on the line. Small circles, looping it over him, etc... He is fine leading, I just think he's going to need a lot of desensitizing and slow/correct longe-line training until he learns that nothing's going to eat him. I could also be confusing cues with him, I'm thinking of getting a friend out there with a video camera so I can try to see if I'm unconsciously doing anything while longing that sparks it, but I really don't know what is causing it since it seems completely random.

As far as back pain or anything he seems fine, his farrier is awesome and he just had his checkup so I wouldn't imagine it's pain-related, he isn't lame at all.. I think it's just random. He's not mean, definitely not mean, just really timid and.. instinctive if that makes sense.
Go to Top of Page

homein3turns
Trainer

USA
654 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2009 :  08:56:45 AM  Show Profile Send homein3turns a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I rode a mare a few years back for someone that would rear when you got on her. She had learned that if she reared, the rider would get off, untack her and put her up (smart pony ) I simply stayed on and she would eventually quit. She was a very nice ride and I actually like the little mare but I think her owner ended up selling her. She was never mean about the rear, it was just a way to buffalo the rider and allow her to be on permanent vacation.

Juli Collier
Pendleton, IN
Juli's Riding Log

"Let a horse whisper in your ear and breathe on your heart. You will never regret it." Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2009 :  10:18:38 AM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I read somewhere about keeping the horse up in the air once they reared. I think this would take a pro with a good sense of balance and timing to do though. I know I wouldn't want to try it. Anyway, when the horse wanted to go down, the rider would lean back and force the horse to stay up. The idea was to tire the horse and make rearing seem like hard work.

"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

EZ2SPOT
Clinician

USA
3785 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2009 :  8:00:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit EZ2SPOT's Homepage Send EZ2SPOT a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Honestly...this horse is still a baby, and hasn't even been ridden yet! I don't think this rearing is anything but playfulness, and doesn't call for severe punishment at his point. I WOULD put him with a good trainer when it is time to ride him; someone who can nip it in the bud if he shows any tendency to do this while under saddle.

If this was an older, broke horse with the bad habit of rearing up while ridden, I'd be more worried.

EZ2SPOT
Go to Top of Page

LaVonne
Advanced Rider

USA
166 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2009 :  11:53:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit LaVonne's Homepage Send LaVonne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm new to this topic, kinda late I know. I too believe you do not have a vice, just a fun-loving baby. But dang those babies get big don't they? I've been taught to 'ignore' this behavior in a baby or trainee.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.15 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000