Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Caring and Owning Horses
 The Beginning Rider
 For Ladies Only..
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LindaOz
Trainer

USA
534 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2008 :  1:11:38 PM  Show Profile Send LindaOz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
After going without a horse for over 40 years, I just started lessons to try to regain the balance I used to have. Although I used to be a a very good gymkhana rider, add 40 years and 80 lbs and I have a lot of trouble with the sitting trot, being very off balance. I had bought a couple of "bounceless" bras from Title Nine but neither do the trick for me, which makes my riding look horrible. I'm conscientious enough just having to trot with this problem, but when a male trainer came in to watch and suggested that I get a more supportive bra or do exercises to tone the "upper body" I found it totally humiliating, not to mention inappropriate.

I've talked to women who have actually used duct tape to prevent bounce in shows which sounds horrible.

Does anyone have any suggestions for getting bounceless bras to ride a trot, or any other suggestions? Thanks for any ideas or info.

Linda

horsehugger2000
Advanced Rider

USA
493 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2008 :  1:58:37 PM  Show Profile Send horsehugger2000 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I buy Tek Gear sports bras from Kohl's. Binds ya up pretty good!!! Look in the sportswear dept not the lingerie.

Wendi
Wendi's Riding Log

Go to Top of Page

Mrs Hook
Trainer

Canada
862 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2008 :  2:27:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mrs Hook's Homepage Send Mrs Hook a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Regardless what Playtex tells you, the idea isn't to "lift and separate", the idea is to "squash and flatten".

My grandma used to wear a homemade undergarment, that I have copied and it works pretty good, it doesn't look real great but I don't bounce. It is basically a wide cotton band with a couple straps sewn on to keep it in place. I put buttons on mine, but I remember grandma just using safety pins. I guess its the difference in making hand buttonholes, and machine buttonholes. You just tighten it - from the top down - as tight as you can without it becoming really uncomfortable.

I haven't tried duct tape, but the idea is to wear an undershirt of some kind and tape, around and around, over that - not on bare skin.

Show women, quite often wear a really really tight, underwire bra and then put a really good shaped sports bra over that. They get support but also shape.

Hey, I know you are embarrassed about the trainers comments, but be thankful he told you - sort of like telling a guy his fly is down. He could have just ignored the issue. I watched a video of me in a pleasure class, and was totally embarrassed. I asked Ed if I always bounced like that and he said yes, but didn't really understand what I was so upset about.

Mrs Hook's Riding Log

Go to Top of Page

LindaOz
Trainer

USA
534 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2008 :  3:57:03 PM  Show Profile Send LindaOz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by horsehugger2000

I buy Tek Gear sports bras from Kohl's. Binds ya up pretty good!!! Look in the sportswear dept not the lingerie.

Thanks Wendi, I'll check them out.

Linda
Go to Top of Page

LindaOz
Trainer

USA
534 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2008 :  4:03:24 PM  Show Profile Send LindaOz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mrs Hook

Regardless what Playtex tells you, the idea isn't to "lift and separate", the idea is to "squash and flatten".

My grandma used to wear a homemade undergarment, that I have copied and it works pretty good, it doesn't look real great but I don't bounce. It is basically a wide cotton band with a couple straps sewn on to keep it in place. I put buttons on mine, but I remember grandma just using safety pins. I guess its the difference in making hand buttonholes, and machine buttonholes. You just tighten it - from the top down - as tight as you can without it becoming really uncomfortable.

I haven't tried duct tape, but the idea is to wear an undershirt of some kind and tape, around and around, over that - not on bare skin.

Show women, quite often wear a really really tight, underwire bra and then put a really good shaped sports bra over that. They get support but also shape.

Hey, I know you are embarrassed about the trainers comments, but be thankful he told you - sort of like telling a guy his fly is down. He could have just ignored the issue. I watched a video of me in a pleasure class, and was totally embarrassed. I asked Ed if I always bounced like that and he said yes, but didn't really understand what I was so upset about.

Thanks, Mrs. Hook, for the suggestions. I was considering two bras. I was actually trying to figure out how to place the duct tape as since shoulder surgery I can't put one arm behind me anymore. I'd have to put the tape on a pole, stick one end on me and spin around in circles. Ha ha. Oh the things we women have to go through!

I also thought about the type of thing your mom used, possibly a girdle type device.

I did find a site: equestriancollections.com that has one in particular that is guaranteed to stop bounce so I bought that for $70 to try out. Thanks again for the suggestions.

Linda
Go to Top of Page

EZ2SPOT
Clinician

USA
3785 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2008 :  5:38:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit EZ2SPOT's Homepage Send EZ2SPOT a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What I like is something called a "posture bra". It hooks in front and works for me, anyway. There is some bounce, but nothing major. I think it is made by "Just My Size".

EZ2SPOT
Go to Top of Page

horsehugger2000
Advanced Rider

USA
493 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2008 :  6:32:43 PM  Show Profile Send horsehugger2000 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Linda I double checked when I got home, and they are Champion. I did get them at Kohl's. I think they are actual "tops" for runner's, but I use mine as support when riding or aerobics. They also wick away moisture. Not cheap, but come in pretty colors. lol
http://www.weplaysports.com/Champion/ladies/ click on the bra for an example.

Wendi
Wendi's Riding Log

Go to Top of Page

horsehugger2000
Advanced Rider

USA
493 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2008 :  6:34:47 PM  Show Profile Send horsehugger2000 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
here's the actual website for champion.
http://www.championusa.com/champion/Default.aspx

Wendi
Wendi's Riding Log

Go to Top of Page

LindaOz
Trainer

USA
534 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2008 :  12:33:22 AM  Show Profile Send LindaOz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by horsehugger2000

Linda I double checked when I got home, and they are Champion. I did get them at Kohl's. I think they are actual "tops" for runner's, but I use mine as support when riding or aerobics. They also wick away moisture. Not cheap, but come in pretty colors. lol
http://www.weplaysports.com/Champion/ladies/ click on the bra for an example.

Thanks Horsehugger! Scared me when you said they are not cheap, but they only cost a third what I had to pay for one that is "guaranteed" at another place today! I'll definitely try one. Thanks.

Linda
Go to Top of Page

Atrayou
Advanced Rider

USA
381 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2008 :  12:38:22 PM  Show Profile Send Atrayou a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I use an ace bandage under my bra. Unfortunately God Blessed me with a large bustline. So I bounce. What can I do except cut them off!. I have not found ANy sprots bra or other that wroks for this issue. I will NOT go the duct tape route no matter what. I too would have ben embarassed with a male trainer saying that to me. Then again I would have had a come back for him also if ya know what I mean. We are women!!! You can only do so much without feeling like a mummy in the saddle!

Atrayou
Go to Top of Page

fracturedbones
Clinician

3424 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2008 :  2:32:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit fracturedbones's Homepage Send fracturedbones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sports bra (1 piece no hooks kind) one size smaller than usual works good.
Go to Top of Page

giddyupmorgan
Trainer

846 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2008 :  4:50:43 PM  Show Profile Send giddyupmorgan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I think I got accused of ( I think it was high school humor) last time this was brought up but I just can't resist.

Ya'll know we sure do like pictures on this forum.

<--- He made me do it.

Keeping The Kids In a Saddle and Out of Trouble
Giddyup
"Holy Moly I'll Buy What They're Selling" LJD (Get A Little Mud On The Tires)

Morgan's riding log
Go to Top of Page

Montezrider
Clinician

USA
1284 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2008 :  5:22:26 PM  Show Profile Send Montezrider a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Allright giddyup! We know that is hard to resist!

I also go the two bra route, a good underwire first, then a good sports bra on top. I am not a large woman on top, but dang it, it's still uncomfortable! Not to mention distracting when you are trying to concentrate.

A good rider has a thinking mind, fine emotions and a sensitive hand.-Tu Yu,72 BC

Go to Top of Page

hoopski
Advanced Rider

USA
419 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2008 :  6:25:09 PM  Show Profile Send hoopski a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm like Giddyupmorgan - not qualified for anything beyond high school humor, so in my small imaginings, this ought to do the trick. Maybe Puddleplasher can chime in with a better informed opinion.

Go to Top of Page

Montezrider
Clinician

USA
1284 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2008 :  9:11:38 PM  Show Profile Send Montezrider a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hoopski, I think that's a little more underwire support than most ladies can handle. But it looks like it could definately stop the uh, err, unwanted movement.

Come to think of it though... I could swear that by the end of the day some of my bras have transformed themselves into just such a garment.

A good rider has a thinking mind, fine emotions and a sensitive hand.-Tu Yu,72 BC

Edited by - Montezrider on 07/14/2008 9:27:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

fracturedbones
Clinician

3424 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2008 :  1:31:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit fracturedbones's Homepage Send fracturedbones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hoopski, I 'll buy that one if it makes me look like that!
Go to Top of Page

anniepops
Beginning Rider

United Kingdom
104 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2008 :  8:34:56 PM  Show Profile Send anniepops a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi there, I have a couple of ENELL BRAS and they do the trick for me, front fastening and the constricxting type, I too am too well endowed when it comes to riding.

hope this helps, think its an american company too.
annie

No foot - No horse
Go to Top of Page

LindaOz
Trainer

USA
534 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2008 :  10:47:41 AM  Show Profile Send LindaOz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh you guys are cracking me up! Hoopski I think you've found the best no-bounce solution of all! Ha ha. Thanks to everyone for the help. I checked out some site and couldn't get my size until I found an Enell bra, like Anniepops uses, and ordered the "No Bounce Guaranteed Equestrian" for $58.00. It is VERY comfortable, no wires. There is still some bounce, but it gives about the same support as the no-bounce from Title Nine plus a sports bra over that. It's front closing, fits more like a round-neck T-shirt & flattens. Thanks again for all the input, suggestions and humor. I'm still ROFLMAO! ha ha

Linda
Go to Top of Page

Cparkinson
Tenderfoot

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2008 :  8:50:07 PM  Show Profile Send Cparkinson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hello everyone,
I find the sports bras are still the best, but I am not that big----medium in the cup size. Good luck finding a comfortable answer and good for you to go back to your passion for riding!

<[url=http://removed by Hook see FAQ]horses for sale[/url]>

Edited by - Hook on 12/12/2008 05:43:49 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000