Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Caring and Owning Horses
 The Beginning Rider
 Simple Safety Tips
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tchighhope
Advanced Rider

USA
257 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2010 :  12:23:46 PM  Show Profile Send tchighhope a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just wrapped all my flat-back buckets with duct tape to prevent an injury and thought it might be nice for everyone to share simple safety tips especially for new horse owners/riders. We all know horses find all kinds of ways to get into trouble. We have a horse with a scar on her nose from when she was a baby. She was eating out of a bucket and the handle pierced her nose where it is bent back around. It required many stitches to fix. All I did was wrap duct tape around the wire where the handle attaches to the bucket and the wire is no danger to the horse. Anyone else got any tips?

Parrothead
Trainer

USA
559 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2010 :  3:03:19 PM  Show Profile Send Parrothead a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Keep your pastures clear of junk and/or machinery. Keep fences in good repair and the lid tight on your grain bin. Keep the halter off except when working with your horse.

Jill
Life is too short to ride bad horses.
Go to Top of Page

Arenadirt
Trainer

USA
670 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2010 :  3:17:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Arenadirt's Homepage Send Arenadirt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Parrothead

Keep your pastures clear of junk and/or machinery. Keep fences in good repair and the lid tight on your grain bin. Keep the halter off except when working with your horse.

Sounds so simple! I've seen horses lost over all of those. It amazes me when I see a horse turned out with its halter on, for days on end. There's one running next to our property right now - the rancher who owns that property is way old, but he's also a veterinarian for cryin' out loud! Should know better. If he's still there in a day or so, I'm taking his halter off.
Go to Top of Page

puddleplasher
Clinician

USA
1296 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2010 :  9:27:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit puddleplasher's Homepage Send puddleplasher a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One I need to remember to do more consistently: put on shipping boots for trailer rides, especially with multiple horses. In the confined space of a trailer, it's too easy for a horse to give itself a bloody ding on the lower leg from either shifting around or trying to kick.

'plash

Pepper sez: "Don't forget the horse!!"
'Plash's Ride Log
Go to Top of Page

tchighhope
Advanced Rider

USA
257 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2010 :  10:46:21 PM  Show Profile Send tchighhope a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On trailering- I also put fly masks on my horses when hauling in our stock trailer. If a rock or dust comes between the slats the fly masks will help protect the eyes.
Go to Top of Page

Arenadirt
Trainer

USA
670 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2010 :  6:15:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Arenadirt's Homepage Send Arenadirt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good one TC. My trailer has those open side slats and I never even thought about that. Doh!

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

PaintGal
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
5300 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2010 :  7:41:59 PM  Show Profile Send PaintGal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Close gates & latch everytime you go through them even if you will be right back and will latch them on the way out. Don't ask me how I know this.

Karen ~ Trails
&
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."

~~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

stesch72
Tenderfoot

Canada
4 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2010 :  2:16:33 PM  Show Profile Send stesch72 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PaintGal

Close gates & latch everytime you go through them even if you will be right back and will latch them on the way out. Don't ask me how I know this.

This is so true! One time not so long ago my sister had her horse in the arena and I brought Frosty in to the far side. I had asked my sister if she could close the gate, which I thought she heard. I unlatched Frosty and started to walk back towards the gate and noticed it was open. My sister apparently didn't hear me ask her to close it. Immediately I heard honking galloping and turned to see the swish of white blur past me as Frosty made a bee line for the gate. Out the gate she went right to the pasture fence and stood there as if nothing was going on. Yoiks!
Go to Top of Page

TheMadHatter
Advanced Rider

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2010 :  9:33:54 PM  Show Profile Send TheMadHatter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If your horse acts up while being bridled, check it's mouth, ears, etc. I have seen so many people just think their horse is just being stubborn.

Check high traffic areas for nails/glass. Find a thrown shoe as soon as possible. Keep your horse's water clean. If you have to saddle your horse before trailering, do NOT put his bridle on as well. Tie your horses high when you tie them so they can't paw and get their foot over the rope.

Four things greater than all things are, -
Women and Horses and Power and War.
~Rudyard Kipling, "The Ballad of the King's Jest"
Go to Top of Page

Larry Van Dorn
Tenderfoot

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2011 :  09:17:01 AM  Show Profile Send Larry Van Dorn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tchighhope

When ever I buy new buckets, before I use them I make sure the "eyes" on the bail and the "S" hooks are fully closed, Then I use a MIG welder to close them permanently, taking care not to leave any rough spots. I think adding tape is giving a horse something else to chew on. If you don't have a welder, ask around, people who have horses have a "once in awhile"need for one.

Larry Van Dorn

Edited by - Larry Van Dorn on 01/19/2011 09:19:22 AM
Go to Top of Page

Colleen
Trainer

Canada
940 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2011 :  2:45:48 PM  Show Profile Send Colleen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Always use quick release knots and never wrap your longe lines or lead ropes around your wrists or body.

Colleen who hopes to have a horse soon.

The air of heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears -- Arabian proverb

Go to Top of Page

fracturedbones
Clinician

3424 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2011 :  10:07:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit fracturedbones's Homepage Send fracturedbones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
These are great...and bet lots of us have learned these tips the hard way.....

Line lunging: never let excess rope hang or drag by your feet.
Go to Top of Page

Arenadirt
Trainer

USA
670 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2011 :  08:45:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Arenadirt's Homepage Send Arenadirt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fracturedbones

These are great...and bet lots of us have learned these tips the hard way.....

Line lunging: never let excess rope hang or drag by your feet.

Film at 11? This should be good...

"There is something about the outside of a horse...that is good for the inside of a man." ~Winston Churchill~
Go to Top of Page

fracturedbones
Clinician

3424 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2011 :  4:21:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit fracturedbones's Homepage Send fracturedbones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Believe me...the wrap around the leg rope and horse taking off....just like a cartoon! Wish I had footage!!
Go to Top of Page

EZ2SPOT
Clinician

USA
3785 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2011 :  7:17:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit EZ2SPOT's Homepage Send EZ2SPOT a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And if your hay is stored at ground level, keep that section of the barn blocked off with something so your horse doesn't climb the hay bales and have to be rescued...

EZ2SPOT
Go to Top of Page

hmeyer
Clinician

USA
2194 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2011 :  01:35:57 AM  Show Profile Send hmeyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tell me it ain't so, Vicki!

"You learn a thing a day, you store up smart" - Festus Haggen

"A manís soul canít be hidden,
From the creatures in his care." -
Hard Candy Cowboy by Debra Meyer

Go to Top of Page

EZ2SPOT
Clinician

USA
3785 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2011 :  1:47:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit EZ2SPOT's Homepage Send EZ2SPOT a Private Message  Reply with Quote
IS so!! Twice, actually...you know Warsong, she has to climb everything! Just about gave me a heart attack. Both times, I was able to get her down, but it sure could have ended in disaster if she'd gotten a hoof down in between the bales. I now keep a rope stretched across that end of the barn when I bring the horses in or let them out.

EZ2SPOT
Go to Top of Page

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2011 :  5:00:36 PM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And one of the simplest tips any beginner (or even experienced horse person) should do: Where proper attire when riding and working around horses... including:

riding boots (western or english) or at least good solid shoes with a well defined heal... NO SNEAKERS OR TENNIS SHOES OR FLIP FLOPS!

A good pair of jeans (the non-designer type) or riding breeches

And last but not least, a riding helmet (I know most of us don't, including me, but a helmet should be worn when working around horses as well as when riding them.)

I also made my riding students where a shirt with sleeves, but I do ride in tank tops a lot in the summer heat.

"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.13 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000