Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Caring and Owning Horses
 The Beginning Rider
 Do you remember your first ride?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2009 :  05:17:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thought I would share a few pictures of Hannah's first ride. Flyer was such a good boy. A week later she walked and jogged by her self. Hannah just turned 11 years old.

The pictures tell the story.

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson

Edited by - Hook on 04/07/2009 05:28:47 AM

EZ2SPOT
Clinician

USA
3785 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2009 :  05:50:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit EZ2SPOT's Homepage Send EZ2SPOT a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cute pictures! I hope Hannah had a great time and will be wanting to get more involved with horses!

No, honestly, I don't remember my first ride!

EZ2SPOT
Go to Top of Page

appygirl
Clinician

USA
3211 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2009 :  08:35:02 AM  Show Profile Send appygirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think the smiles say it all. Could it be time to see a post entitled "A horse for Hannah"? ;o)

Appygirl

Man does not have the only memory,
The animals remember,
The earth remembers,
The stones remember,
If you know how to listen, they will tell you many things.
- Claude Kuwanijuma - Hopi Spiritual leader

Go to Top of Page

beccajane
Trainer

USA
985 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2009 :  7:03:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit beccajane's Homepage Send beccajane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The first thing I noticed was the new pink boots! (Every girl has to have a nice pair of boots!) Yes, I do remember my first ride. It was on a sorrel mare named Sugar that belonged to a friend of my sisters. She let me ride around the pasture by myself! I think I begged the rest of the summer to go every day. I don't think I got to go back very often because it seemed I asked a lot. And the rest is history. I sure this day will stay with Hannah for the rest of her life. Good memories! I'm so glad Flyer did well. They seem to know when they have a child on their back. And glad to see he waited to let off the steam! Love the sequence...you captured it well....as always.
Go to Top of Page

puddleplasher
Clinician

USA
1296 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2009 :  11:39:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit puddleplasher's Homepage Send puddleplasher a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like how the smile gets bigger as the photos go on. I think another one's been hooked.... so to speak...

'plash

Pepper sez: "Don't forget the horse!!"
'Plash's Ride Log
Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2009 :  05:39:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by appygirl

I think the smiles say it all. Could it be time to see a post entitled "A horse for Hannah"? ;o)

Hannah is actually almost (or already is) a granddaughter (step granddaughter?). She is the daughter of our daughter's fiancee. That is our daughter leading Flyer and Hannah's Father is helping her on Flyer and keeping watch.

Flyer's temperament does seem to match with Hannah. He needs to be "ridden" with a firm idea of where you want to go but does well when you insist. Hannah was very a patient and firm with a pretty good seat ( although who wouldn't with Mrs Hook giving direction )

/plash
Time will tell if Hannah is really hooked. If so she will need a Helmet that fits and a saddle as well and.................., She may want to .......SHOW.

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2009 :  05:59:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by beccajane

The first thing I noticed was the new pink boots! (Every girl has to have a nice pair of boots!) Yes, I do remember my first ride. It was on a sorrel mare named Sugar that belonged to a friend of my sisters. She let me ride around the pasture by myself! I think I begged the rest of the summer to go every day. I don't think I got to go back very often because it seemed I asked a lot. And the rest is history. I sure this day will stay with Hannah for the rest of her life. Good memories! I'm so glad Flyer did well. They seem to know when they have a child on their back. And glad to see he waited to let off the steam! Love the sequence...you captured it well....as always.

Thanks Beccajane. I thought that a first ride of an almost 11 year old girl should be documented and we could all share in the wonder and enjoyment. She left the boots here

Hook(ed)......on Horses

Go to Top of Page

Montezrider
Clinician

USA
1284 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2009 :  10:49:41 AM  Show Profile Send Montezrider a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I love the picture of her standing outside the barn door, all anticipation, dreamy eyed, maybe just a touch nervous.What a great mix of expressions in her face and body in that shot.

A good rider has a thinking mind, fine emotions and a sensitive hand.-Tu Yu,72 BC

Go to Top of Page

killybean907
Clinician

USA
1082 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2009 :  04:18:30 AM  Show Profile Send killybean907 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What a lovely set of memory photos for Hannah! It brings back memories for me and I know that she will always remember that day! She does looked "hooked", doesn't she?

It's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years.
Karen-Anchorage, Alaska
Go to Top of Page

giddyupmorgan
Trainer

846 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2009 :  10:23:34 AM  Show Profile Send giddyupmorgan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
AS Yogi said "its deja vu all over again."

Great pictures Hook. Very pretty SGD you have there. I even got a smile out of Matt when I showed him her pics.

I was sure this is what Yogi meant when I saw the walk along side pic

Keeping The Kids In a Saddle and Out of Trouble
Giddyup
"Holy Moly I'll Buy What They're Selling" LJD (Get A Little Mud On The Tires)

Morgan's riding log
Go to Top of Page

Arenadirt
Trainer

USA
670 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2009 :  8:25:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Arenadirt's Homepage Send Arenadirt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by puddleplasher

I like how the smile gets bigger as the photos go on. I think another one's been hooked.... so to speak...

'plash

Zackly what jumped out at me.

WAY precious thread.

"There is something about the outside of a horse...that is good for the inside of a man." ~Winston Churchill~
Go to Top of Page

ILoveJoe
Clinician

USA
2499 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2009 :  07:00:33 AM  Show Profile Send ILoveJoe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hannah looks like a natural!

I love the pictures, I bet Hannah already has a few copies for her bedroom wall.

Go to Top of Page

snipe67
Tenderfoot

Australia
4 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2010 :  11:34:19 PM  Show Profile Send snipe67 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
for sure hannah is really happy.. and her ability was getting well..
Go to Top of Page

HorseStall
Tenderfoot

2 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2010 :  07:15:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit HorseStall's Homepage Send HorseStall a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think I was riding before I was walking so I don't remember it ;-) Love the look of excitement on her face!!!
Go to Top of Page

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2010 :  11:32:06 AM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hannah's first ride reminds me of all the first time riders I taught to ride when I was giving riding lessons. Great job in capturing such a special occasion, Hook. Can you imagine what it will be like for Hannah to look at these maybe 5 or 10 years from now? I bet she'll love the memories.

I really don't remember my first ride. Unlike Hannah, nobody took any pictures. But I do remember my first day with Lady. She was a 48 inch tall Shetland bred pony. I was 11 years old too, just like Hannah. Lady looked hugh to me since I'd never had an opportunity to stand close to an actual horse... just rides on the pony rides at fairs and such. My step-mom had Lady staked out on a rope to eat grass in the backyard, and I can remember sitting there in awe of this pony and not quite believing that my dream had come true. Ever since I was about 3 years old I'd been asking my dad for a pony, and there she was! Of course I had to share her with my two brothers, but Lady was my pony too.

My first ride? I do remember it was bareback. We didn't get a saddle until later. I can remember a rein in each hand and hoping I wouldn't fall off. Lady sure put up with a lot from us three kids. She had a world of patience.

I really don't know how I missed this thread. I just stumbled across it yesterday. I typed out a reply then, but it didn't take! Oh well. At least this one took. I can't wait to see another series of pics of Hannah's next ride. There will be more, right?

"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

hmeyer
Clinician

USA
2194 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2010 :  11:58:22 AM  Show Profile Send hmeyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Red Hawk

I really don't remember my first ride. Unlike Hannah, nobody took any pictures.

Red Hawk, that's probably because they hadn't invented the camera yet!

"You learn a thing a day, you store up smart" - Festus Haggen

"A manís soul canít be hidden,
From the creatures in his care." -
Hard Candy Cowboy by Debra Meyer

Go to Top of Page

Arenadirt
Trainer

USA
670 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2010 :  3:51:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Arenadirt's Homepage Send Arenadirt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
First rides I remember ...

A neighbor had an old gray mare (I thought of her as white) that was basically a pasture ornament. Friendly though - she'd come up to the fence whenever anyone would approach. It was one of those three-rail plank fences, all whitewashed and perfect for a 5-6 yr old to try to climb. We'd take turns climbing the fence, jumping on the mare's back and seeing how long we could hang on. She'd usually just amble a few steps and then kind of shrug - and I'd fall off. Thinking back, that animal was a study in patience. Good thing.

"There is something about the outside of a horse...that is good for the inside of a man." ~Winston Churchill~
Go to Top of Page

anniepops
Beginning Rider

United Kingdom
104 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2010 :  5:02:57 PM  Show Profile Send anniepops a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Hook, only just seen this thread, wot wonderful pictures, and wot a very lucky young lady, I had my FIRST riding lesson when I was 59 wish it had been when I was 11, but hey better late than never and I have no regrets, just a few bruises and many hours of happiness with (I hope) many more to come.
Thanks for sharing with us/
Annie

No foot - No horse
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000