Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Caring and Owning Horses
 Horse Appraisal and Conformation
 Can you spell UGLY?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

PaintGal
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
5300 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2010 :  11:24:05 AM  Show Profile Send PaintGal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I shouldn't be shopping and really I'm not but do like to look at ads for horses online. I ran across this ad last night and my jaw dropped. He is young but good grief! AND...look at the price.

Take a look and see what you think:

Buckskin Sabino

Karen ~ Trails
&
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."

~~~~~~

tchighhope
Advanced Rider

USA
257 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2010 :  2:25:20 PM  Show Profile Send tchighhope a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh my! Poor little dude! I like how he is a "stallion prospect" too. He is only a yearling and maybe he is just gangly right now and will fill out as he ages. We also have to remember he is not a quarter horse and the gaited horses look very different too. I think the too big halter is part of the problem and he'd look much better if it was adjusted tighter. He does have a kind looking eye!
Go to Top of Page

PaintGal
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
5300 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2010 :  2:31:49 PM  Show Profile Send PaintGal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tchighhope

We also have to remember he is not a quarter horse and the gaited horses look very different too.

I told myself that too. LOL! I sure hope he's gelded and isn't bred.

Karen ~ Trails
&
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."

~~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

EZ2SPOT
Clinician

USA
3785 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2010 :  7:30:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit EZ2SPOT's Homepage Send EZ2SPOT a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think he's THAT bad looking. In fact, he looks to me like he would make someone a terrific trail horse! Like Trina said, you have to keep in mind he is NOT a Quarter Horse, and should not be judged against those standards.

That said, I'm big on gelding "stallion prospects." Most breeds just have too darned many breeding horses.

EZ2SPOT
Go to Top of Page

homein3turns
Trainer

USA
654 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2010 :  10:23:12 PM  Show Profile Send homein3turns a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well he is young and does have a kind eye.... he might grow up to be a pretty and reliable trail GELDING

Looks like fodder for Fugly Horse of the Day

Juli Collier
Pendleton, IN
Juli's Riding Log

"Let a horse whisper in your ear and breathe on your heart. You will never regret it." Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

hoopski
Advanced Rider

USA
419 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2010 :  4:00:08 PM  Show Profile Send hoopski a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What the heck is a kind eye? You see this comment about a horse picture all the time here and I don't have any idea what it means or how to identify it in a picture. Is it just wishful thinking on the viewer's part? I suspect it may sometimes be the last comment just before a horse stomps on your foot.
Go to Top of Page

EZ2SPOT
Clinician

USA
3785 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2010 :  5:54:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit EZ2SPOT's Homepage Send EZ2SPOT a Private Message  Reply with Quote
LOL, hoopski, I think people use the term to mean the opposite of the Appy eye!!! Just kidding...

EZ2SPOT
Go to Top of Page

BethAnn
Trainer

USA
864 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2010 :  07:35:53 AM  Show Profile Send BethAnn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fugly would have a field day with that poor upside down neck and poor conformation(and I ain't using quarter horse standards)

BethAnn Stewart
Palmyra,Indiana

Lovie-gypsy vanner
Lad- Clydesdale

Do not take up the warpath without a just cause and honest purpose. Pushmataha-Choctow leader
Go to Top of Page

PaintGal
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
5300 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2010 :  10:14:36 AM  Show Profile Send PaintGal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fugly is on FB and *someone* did post a link there.

Karen ~ Trails
&
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

~~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

EZ2SPOT
Clinician

USA
3785 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2010 :  6:07:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit EZ2SPOT's Homepage Send EZ2SPOT a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aw...I hate having any horse called ugly! True, some are better looking than others. A LOT better looking than others!

But in all the years that I've been involved with horses, I've noticed that there are quite a few good performance horses that don't look like much. A friend of mine had a mare that wasn't a mule, but she sure looked like one. That mare did everything, anyone could ride her, and she lived into her 30's - still sound. Then there was the splay-footed, ewe-necked mare another friend owned. Same thing, used this mare for everything. The friend died, and the mare was given to somebody else, who is still riding her, I believe. This mare is close to 30.

I'd tell ya about all the perfectly beautiful horses I've seen that ended up being able to do absolutely nothing, but there are too darned many of them to list!!

EZ2SPOT

Edited by - EZ2SPOT on 09/24/2010 6:08:43 PM
Go to Top of Page

BethAnn
Trainer

USA
864 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2010 :  08:45:55 AM  Show Profile Send BethAnn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do have to agree with you EZ and I guess he could turn out to be a swan but I wouldn't count on it! Gotone did horrible at shows but she does great as an endurance horse.You can't ride looks and what they have between their ears does alot to create a good ride and if they have non riding conformation then they make good pasture pets. I personally won't keep anything young and unridable as I got them to ride and can't afford to keep them to sit and watch them eat all day, now if they give me many good years and and age has made problems then they have earned the right to be a pasture pet.In this economy I would still pick a prettier horse for my money than this one as they are a dime a dozen right now and people still are breeding fugly horses and this is what creates the free horse market and supplies the slaughter houses. I got River a sweet gelding at 2 and gaited to boot for 250 so what makes poeple think they have something so good as to call it a stallion prospect? Uneducation and the thinking that they have beautiful horses even when the are 100-200 lbs underweight, untrained,not gelded, and poor conformation.Enough said , sorry for ranting but my neighbors are like this, all I can see is ribs,spines, and hips and they are riding and breeding these horses.They also only have mixes and are drug dealers.This also seems to go hand in hand.Sorry to have gone on and on........

BethAnn Stewart
Palmyra,Indiana

Lovie-gypsy vanner
Lad- Clydesdale

Do not take up the warpath without a just cause and honest purpose. Pushmataha-Choctow leader
Go to Top of Page

PaintGal
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
5300 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2010 :  11:00:31 AM  Show Profile Send PaintGal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is a lot more that makes a good horse than good conformation that's for sure. Brains and personality and just as important IMO. Look at Joe! He's not going to win any halter classes that's for sure but he's managed to carry my butt around for several years now with only 1 wreck.

This little horse in the ad might make someone the PERFECT horse and I sure hope he does but for them to suggest that he should be considered as a stallion prospect is way out of line!

Karen ~ Trails
&
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

~~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2010 :  3:28:53 PM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to agree with PG on this one, but this whole discussion made me think of one of the greatest ApHC sires of all time, Roman Strawman. He sired somewhere around 20 gold medalion winners, not to mention the silver and bronze winners in the 70's & 80's. Not to mention also his own impressive show record.

Roman Strawman was foaled in Cassopolis MI, and I personally know the people who bred him, Dave & Bobbi Best (They owned W.T.'s sire, Star Diver's Best.). Dave said Strawman had the crookedest legs he'd ever seen and sold him shortly after he was weaned for practically nothing. Probably one of the biggest mistakes of his life. Before his breeding career ended, Roman Strawman's stud fee was--are you ready for this?--$10,000! Not bad for a horse that wasn't supposed to amount to much when he was foaled.

"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Xenya
Tenderfoot

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2010 :  3:45:20 PM  Show Profile Send Xenya a Private Message  Reply with Quote
These days, at least in my state, 1 grand should be able to purchase a finished, bombproof trail horse. That price on that horse makes me think it is either an example of serious wishful thinking, or someone trying to con someone. No, this conformation doesn't look too good, and conformation is important in gaited horses, because gaiting puts a lot of stress on a horse's joints. And it is even worse stress when misguided trainers add different weights and weird shoeing practices. I did see a kind of weird looking horse like this fill out into a pretty good looking trail horse and good gaiter, so $400 dollars might be worth it. The problem is, if they put that kind of price on their "baby" I wouldn't want to be the one to tell them "the emperor has no clothes", you know what I mean?

Xenya from SE TX
Go to Top of Page

fracturedbones
Clinician

3424 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2010 :  04:29:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit fracturedbones's Homepage Send fracturedbones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well maybe he is just a gangly yung'un....I found his baby daddy:

http://www.woodviewwalkers.com/display.html?p=stallions

Go to Top of Page

puddleplasher
Clinician

USA
1296 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2010 :  3:46:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit puddleplasher's Homepage Send puddleplasher a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yup, his daddy's a much prettier horse, though that's never been my favorite coloring. But why is he on the same page as some chicken-shaped light-switch covers??!?!!??

'plash

Pepper sez: "Don't forget the horse!!"
'Plash's Ride Log
Go to Top of Page

TheMadHatter
Advanced Rider

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2010 :  7:05:22 PM  Show Profile Send TheMadHatter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
HOLY-UGLY-HORSE-BATMAN! 0.0 That poor thing...what he needs most is to stand reeeeal close to a feed bucket! If he had some more lbs on him, then I don't think it would be so bad, but he DEFINITELY needs to be gelded. Even if he does have a winning personality, I don't see anything there to qualify as a positive atribute. The poor little guy's color is even...Uh, I hate tearing the horse down but, yeesh! O.o I hope he's nice though and I hope he matures into a decent trail horse. Who knows! He may be a butterfly under there, just waiting to emerge.

Four things greater than all things are, -
Women and Horses and Power and War.
~Rudyard Kipling, "The Ballad of the King's Jest"
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.13 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000