Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Saddle and Tack Topics
 Discussions on Fitting Saddles to the Horse
 fustrated !
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

joan
Groomer

Canada
37 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2011 :  7:51:23 PM  Show Profile Send joan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ok sold my QH bar Silver Supreme saddle which I loved as a had pressure points(dry spots both sides) ..now bought a Crates supreme reiner 7" FQHB and still pressure points..tried on a diff saddle pad today mind you it was "again" a neoprene pad and I only have a 15hh Appaloosa which to me is not a tractor so I don't understand..could it be neoprene pads cause this or???? is my saddle too forward.. don't know what to think anymore ..!!!!!

here is silver supreme fit

silver supreme dryspots

crates supreme reiner

crates pressure points (also notice his back)?

EZ2SPOT
Clinician

USA
3785 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2011 :  3:46:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit EZ2SPOT's Homepage Send EZ2SPOT a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bear in mind, I am NOT as knowledgeable about saddle fit as many of the other people on the DE are, but it looks to me like the saddle is bridging in the middle. Your horse seems to have a dip in his back behind the withers. I'm thinking that the saddle is not reaching down to his back in the middle, and therefore all the pressure is at the withers and the back end of the saddle. There are special pads made for horses with swaybacks, or you could try making your own little pads to fill out the area.

EZ2SPOT
Go to Top of Page

joan
Groomer

Canada
37 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2011 :  09:24:27 AM  Show Profile Send joan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
it does make sense but both saddles have a curve in them ?
Go to Top of Page

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2011 :  11:16:46 AM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Like EZ, I'm not real knowledgeable about saddle fit either, but I do know Appaloosas are known for promenent withers. I have an old barrel saddle that I ride my Appaloosa mare with and have to use a built-up/cut-back pad to fill in the gaps where the saddle doesn't fit well. It would probably be better if you could get a saddle to fit your horse instead of trying to use a pad to make it fit, but it's something to consider... and it did make a difference with my mare.

"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

joan
Groomer

Canada
37 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2011 :  11:58:44 AM  Show Profile Send joan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
thanks ...another saddle..I've tried 3 saddles in the last month giving the horse a good sweat and all the same result..??? but again will all neoprene saddle pads..must give a wool or fleece pad a try just for the heck of it
Go to Top of Page

EZ2SPOT
Clinician

USA
3785 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2011 :  6:42:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit EZ2SPOT's Homepage Send EZ2SPOT a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can relate to how you feel; I had to buy 7 saddles for one horse I had, before finally getting a good fit! It would have been much cheaper to have bought a horse to fit the saddle, LOL!

In this case, I think a cheaper solution would be to try different pads.

Two other things that come to mind; I once read that sweat patterns, while very helpful, shouldn't be considered the defining factor in determining saddle fit. Apparently, a saddle that doesn't fit well, can sometimes show a good sweat pattern, and a saddle that fits well, might not. Is your horse's back sore? Is he unhappy when worked in the saddle? These might be better indicators of how the saddle suits him.

Also, I know you are tired of buying saddles, but could you possibly borrow one with a shorter tree (probably with a round skirt), to try on him? Appaloosas usually have shorter backs. Sometimes barrel or Arab saddles work well with them.

EZ2SPOT
Go to Top of Page

Stormie
Clinician

1630 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2011 :  8:58:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Stormie's Homepage Send Stormie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sweat patterns can be misleading sometimes. In the dry spots is there any heat and swelling?

It might be part that the saddle is up on the shoulder blade. You horse has a slight gut and a forward heart girth so that is going pull the saddle forward some.

It does look like the saddle is bridging but the problem might not be the saddle but the horse. Remember that when a horse is moving correctly the back is rounded up not sunk down. If the saddles follows the back perfectly when the horse isn't moving then the horse can't round the back up without having a pressure point under the middle of the saddle. So you want a little space in the middle when the horse isn't moving so he can round up when he is. If a horse is hollow out even in a saddle that fits it can cause what seems to be saddle bridging problems but the problem is really that the horse is not moving correctly. Many times saddle fit can cause a hollow back problem.
Your horse doesn't look really over weight and I know that having free choice hay and grass can cause the gut too but it can also be caused by a horse that goes hollow so I would look into that. When a horse rounds up they use their abs so they get a "horsey six pack" and loose the gut. That can also make it easier to keep a saddle back on a horse with a more forward heart girth.
Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2011 :  07:43:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Silver Supreme is definitely bridging because it was too narrow for your appy.

quote:
silver supreme dryspots

The Crates saddle fits much better but looks like it is wide enough that it is rocking down on the front causing the dry spots because of the uneven pressure distribution with most of the pressure moving to the front of the saddle.

quote:
crates pressure points (also notice his back)?

This looks very close to the problem I had getting a saddle to fit Hookie. I ended up with a Dakota saddle with FQHB which gave the same pattern as you with the Crates. My solution was to use a 1" thick felt pad which took up the space in the the withers area to prevent the saddle from rocking ahead and distributed the pressure of the saddle over his whole back.

Might be worth a try before you invest in another saddle.

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

walkinthewalk
Advanced Rider

USA
215 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2011 :  07:47:59 AM  Show Profile Send walkinthewalk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Crates looks brand new; if it is, will the company take it back?

Before you get in too deep on saddle buying, my best suggestion is to spend the money on this saddle measuring kit:

http://www.equimeasure.com/

My second-best suggestion and this depends if you are using the saddle for reining or pleasure riding, would be to look at these saddles by Fabtron. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VelxFsjngs4.

I am looking at one of these for my 15.3H, low withered, flat-backed Tennessee Walker that is built like a QH. These are made in Tennessee.

Fabtron also makes event saddles but you may prefer a gorgeous all leather saddle for that:)

Hope this helps:)

Go to Top of Page

rude
Tenderfoot

8 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2011 :  09:39:37 AM  Show Profile Send rude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by EZ2SPOT

In this case, I think a cheaper solution would be to try different pads.

Also, I know you are tired of buying saddles, but could you possibly borrow one with a shorter tree (probably with a round skirt), to try on him? Appaloosas usually have shorter backs. EZ2SPOT

just ordered a IMPACT GEL 3/4" felt pad..don't know if it'll help but hopping..
Go to Top of Page

rude
Tenderfoot

8 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2011 :  09:40:52 AM  Show Profile Send rude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by walkinthewalk

The Crates looks brand new; if it is, will the company take it back?

Before you get in too deep on saddle buying, my best suggestion is to spend the money on this saddle measuring kit:

http://www.equimeasure.com/

will go have a look at this..thanks
Go to Top of Page

rude
Tenderfoot

8 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2011 :  09:43:18 AM  Show Profile Send rude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hook

. My solution was to use a 1" thick felt pad which took up the space in the the withers area to prevent the saddle from rocking ahead and distributed the pressure of the saddle over his whole back.

thanks Hook...just ordered a IMPACT GEL pad 3/4" felt pad ...will get in middle of oct as they ran out of felt :( ..yeah I know
Go to Top of Page

rude
Tenderfoot

8 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2011 :  09:46:24 AM  Show Profile Send rude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by EZ2SPOT

Also, I know you are tired of buying saddles, but could you possibly borrow one with a shorter tree (probably with a round skirt), to try on him? Appaloosas usually have shorter backs. Sometimes barrel or Arab saddles work well with them.

EZ2SPOT

this is making sense to me...if maybe I get a shorter saddle like maybe a 26" instead of a 28" I could maybe position the saddle lower on the back so it wouldn't be upfront ???? hummm may have my crates for sale soon..will wait until the new gel pad arrives and will decide then but again this makes sense to me
Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2011 :  07:23:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rude

quote:
Originally posted by Hook

. My solution was to use a 1" thick felt pad which took up the space in the the withers area to prevent the saddle from rocking ahead and distributed the pressure of the saddle over his whole back.

thanks Hook...just ordered a IMPACT GEL pad 3/4" felt pad ...will get in middle of oct as they ran out of felt :( ..yeah I know

Let us know how this works for you. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you will be able to use the Crates. They make a very good saddle that will last a lifetime.

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

joan
Groomer

Canada
37 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2011 :  2:46:19 PM  Show Profile Send joan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
well...bought the impact gel pad ...cantering one day and entire saddle slipped to the side..scared the sh** out of me..sold the crates supreme reiner..now back to square one :(((( now thinking of tex tan but noticed on some models that skirt is slopped higher at the back end..don't know if I'm explaining this right
Go to Top of Page

garlicbunny
Tenderfoot

14 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2012 :  3:06:20 PM  Show Profile Send garlicbunny a Private Message  Reply with Quote
what about the crates 2171 wide trail saddle. It is shorter than advertised and has a nice round skirt. I have one i use on my 2 qh's. very quality saddle for sure!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000