Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Caring and Owning Horses
 Grooming and Health
 Abscesses: The Common Cold for Horses
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Chuck
Forum Admin

USA
1265 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2017 :  4:23:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Chuck's Homepage Send Chuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Republished from our Blog: https://horsesaddleshop.blogspot.com/

Abscesses: The common cold for horses
The common cold for humans is the horse equivalent of an abscess. Some horses are more prone to them than others. I have a grulla paint mare that I have owned for just over a year, and in that course of a year, she has had a few abscesses. I have gotten pretty good in treating these things so I am going to share a little about an abscess and what some symptoms and treatment options are.

To start off if you donít know what an abscess is, it occurs when bacteria invades the horse's hoof and is most noticeable when it infects the sensitive parts of the foot. They can cause serious damage if left untreated. What are some symptoms of an abscess you may ask? Well, the most common and noticed symptom is lameness and limping. This is in result to the invasion of the bacteria into the sensitive spots in the hoof.

However, there are a few more things that you can pick up on that are preliminary to an abscess. These include but are not limited to: fever, swelling of the leg and hoof area, sensitivity to hoof picks, and touch. If you notice your horse displaying any of these behaviors they probably have an abscess.

Fear not! These can be treated fairly easy. The easiest and fastest relief for your horse from an abscess is to have your vet or farrier come out and find the location of the infection of it has not broken through and trim a hole/path for the infection to drain out. However, some abscesses erupt and break through on their own, not needing to have a hole/path cut to drain them.

Once it is broke through and draining it is important to keep this area clean. Some people soak the foot in Epsom salts this is known the draw the infection out of the foot. This can be easily done by purchasing a soaking boot from your local tack store. These make the soaking process so much easier! Have you ever tried to get your horse to put its foot into a bucket to soak? Well, good luck, thatís a job in itself! Trust me the soak boots are a simple solution to a bigger potential headache.

What causes abscess and how can they be prevented? Well, the most common cause is an irritation to the sole of the foot most commonly from a stone or something of that nature getting stuck in the foot. It can even be as simple as a bruise from a stone/rock from trail riding. Aside from that, another common cause is moisture whether there be too much or too little moisture. Finally, dirty stalls are horrible for horseís feet and can bring about abscesses.

If you pay attention and do your best to maintain healthy hoof care you should be fine. However, if your horse does get an abscess, just be sure to treat it accordingly and get it taken care of quickly.

Chuck

Horse Saddle Shop

http://www.horsesaddleshop.com

PaintGal
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
5300 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2017 :  10:20:58 PM  Show Profile Send PaintGal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
IMO, it's always best to drain the abscess if possible. They are very painful for the horse and in rare occasions cause infection in the bone which can cause deterioration.

Soaking in Epsom salts can be time consuming, aggravating for both horse and the person trying to do it. I like to make a diaper/duct tape boot with a packet of Epsom salts against the sole of the hoof. If done properly, it can last for several days and eliminates the need to soak the hoof. It takes some time but so does soaking.

Gather all supplies: A hand full of Epsom salts wrapped in a square of cloth, a small diaper, roll of vet tape, a piece of plastic feed bag large enough to cover the entire hoof and a roll of duct tape.

Have everything within arms reach (or have a helper!). Place the Epsom salts wrapped in the cloth next to the hoof (preferably over the drain hole). Wrap the hoof in the diaper then wrap the piece of feed bag over the hoof and wrap all of it in vet tape. Wrap the bottom of the hoof and sides and bring the vet tape over the bulb of the hoof and up the fetlock a bit. Next, wrap duct tape over that layer but take care not to get it on the hair above the hoof. Don't skimp on the duct tape and make sure to get several wraps on the bottom of the hoof. I tear several strips and have them ready to apply.

It's also a good idea to put the horse on pain relief as well as Ulcergard or another ulcer preventative.

Karen ~ Trails
&
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."

~~~~~~
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000