Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Creative, fun and entertaining
 Saddle Shop Corral
 Goin' to Phoenix; What to Visit
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2017 :  4:16:00 PM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm sure my mom will have all kinds of suggestions on where we might go during my visit with her. I'll be going by myself while my husband keeps care of things here at home (I tried to talk him into tagging along, but he refused.). I'm leaving on May 6th by air and will be back on May 11th. I've never been out to that part of the country before, and Mom's talking about maybe doing a couple of all day bus tours.

Anyway, Mom lives in Sun City. My stay will allow me four full days to explore the area, and Mom is already acting like a kid waiting for Christmas. After my step-dad died about two years ago, she isn't going to be coming my way (IN) anymore. After all she's 85 years old, and I don't blame her. This might be the last time I'll be able to spend time with her outside of talking with her on the phone.

She already knows I'd like to visit Indian cliffs dwellings, and I have no idea what's in the area, but she says there's several to choose from. All-in-all, Mom will be my guide regardless where we go. (She's already said she'll navigate while I drive.), and I'm sure she'll show me a good time.

And yes, I intend to take my camera and a couple of flutes along. I'd go bonkers not having a flute with me for 6 whole days .

Ginger

"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown

PaintGal
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
5300 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2017 :  7:56:32 PM  Show Profile Send PaintGal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh my! What fun. I was out there years ago and loved every minute. One of my favorite day trips was east on 60 through Apache Junction towards Globe. There was a neat Indian ruin near or in Globe..can't remember exactly now but I'll try to drill down through the dust. You can make a loop by taking 188 north between Claypool and Globe. Look at a map and you'll see it. Take that to towards Roosevelt Lake and along the way is the Tonto Nat. Monument. You could go right up to the ruins (for a price of course) but worth it. I don't remember it being outrageous. Hang a left when you leave it and continue to Roosevelt Lake. You can see a part of it before you turn west/left on 88. THAT CANNOT BE MISSED. It's like driving into the Grand Canyon. Breathtaking... Awesome... Spectacular...Beautiful. It'll take you through Tortilla Flat... That route is called the Apache Trail. There used to be a nice place to trail ride into the Superstition Mts. Great scenery but where isn't out there?

If we're ever out there again, I'll do that loop again for sure. Loved every minute of it! Funny thing is that I flew out with my hubby who had a conference for work there and his company had rented the car for HIM. Neither of us gave it a thought when I took off for the day with the car every day we were there! No insurance on it... in his name, not mine...paid for by his company. I'd have been strung up and quartered if something had happened!

Do you remember Gigi Showalter? I think she lives out somewhere now.

If you don't do that loop, you'll regret it and I will have wasted all that typing.

Have fun and I'm really glad you get to visit with your mom.

Karen ~ Trails
&
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."

~~~~~~

Edited by - PaintGal on 04/23/2017 7:58:03 PM
Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2017 :  9:14:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds like a great memory building trip.

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000