Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Discussions
 Trails
 Chilly Ride...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

PaintGal
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
5300 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2017 :  10:45:57 AM  Show Profile Send PaintGal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The best day of the week, they said. No rain, they said, Sun, they said. Highs in the low 50s, they said. THEY WERE WRONG! But we had another great ride!

The temp wasn't that much colder than Monday and we wore pretty much the same layers but the cold just seeped in and we were both feeling it. We'd had another night of rain too so it was a bit wet, although, the trails weren't in bad shape (probably because most people have more sense than we do and don't ride!).

You'd think for the amount of bridle tags, DNR could do a better job of keeping the trails cleared. This tree has been down since mid summer. There is huge tree down just before this one that is too big to step over except in one place that has broken branches ready to stab a leg and for added excitement; a large widow maker hanging exactly where it would crush someone going over that one place! It's been down for over a year.

Riding this time of year gives views that aren't available when the leaves are on. On clear days we can see the power plant stacks at Madison which is almost 30 miles away.

The last several years have been hard on trees. Between the ice storms, tornados, high winds, droughts, floods, and probably the most damaging...bugs, there are hundreds of trees down. These have fallen and were not part of logging.

The boys were thirsty! The creek came in handy.

Airing it out a bit!

Our route takes us past "Pekin Saddle Club" and this is their arena. It's not as popular as it once was but members have campsites that they fix up the way they want to. Some have corrals, some have sort of stalls, some have hitching posts, some have high lines and steps and picnic tables. There are a LOT of sites but not a lot of people using them now.

This is STEEP!! The ground was soft and we pretty much slid down on butts!

Of course, at the bottom is a creek:

And then we climb again!

Fun ride even though it was a cold gloomy day. Saddle time improves any day!

Karen ~ Trails
&
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."

~~~~~~

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2017 :  4:21:15 PM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Even thought there were lots of downed trees, I see lots of new growth in those younger trees in the pic .

Glad you had a good time PG .

Ginger

"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000