Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Discussions
 General Information
 Outback Oilskin Duster and Hood
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

PaintGal
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
5300 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2017 :  7:48:01 PM  Show Profile Send PaintGal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've loved the look of the duster for ages! I finally decided to get one and went ahead and ordered the hood with to go with it. Here is the duster:

and here is the hood:

Now, one would think that the hood and duster would come so they snap together but NOOOO. They send additional snaps that are supposed to be added. The storm cape attaches with snaps but the hood doesn't line up with those snaps and you can't use both on the same snaps.

The hood is supposed to be big enough to fit a helmet and it does fit mine but the only way to attach the hood to the duster so it does is to put the snaps on the outside edge of the collar.

Does anyone here have one or know someone who does? I'd love to know where the snaps were added.

On a side note... this duster is AWESOME! It's heavy but unless you want to get wet, you aren't going to when wearing this thing. I just wish the duster had the snaps already in place so the hood can attach. I cringe at the thought of poking holes in it!

Karen ~ Trails
&
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."

~~~~~~

Edited by - PaintGal on 01/14/2017 8:07:36 PM

Chuck
Forum Admin

USA
1265 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2017 :  8:46:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Chuck's Homepage Send Chuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That duster looks very cool! Do you think that with the hood snapped to the jacket, vision/head movement would be restricted?

Chuck

Horse Saddle Shop

http://www.horsesaddleshop.com
Go to Top of Page

PaintGal
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
5300 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2017 :  9:23:34 PM  Show Profile Send PaintGal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Chuck,

I don't know since I haven't figured out how to snap it on! I've only worn it a couple of times to feed in when it was raining and used the hood. The hood is advertised as being able to be used with a helmet and it does go over mine but barely. When I've worn it loose over a toboggan, it was okay but then I wasn't really looking side to side. I'm afraid if it's snapped anywhere but the collar, it will restrict movement and even on the collar, it might. The hood has a draw string and a velcro tab thingy at the top so you can adjust how far forward the front goes. Hard to describe it but there is some adjustment.

I don't water running down the back of my neck so I'm trying to come up with a solution. I might have to cave and call the manufacturer or not ride in the rain which would probably be the best idea.

Karen ~ Trails
&
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."

~~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2017 :  06:21:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looks pretty cozy. My winter Tough Duck barn coat has a hood and it has two rows of snaps to attach the hood to the coat. Both are on the collar. I will try to post a photo. Photo-bucket is not being cooperative this morning.

Finally :)

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson

Edited by - Hook on 01/20/2017 07:00:42 AM
Go to Top of Page

PaintGal
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
5300 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2017 :  3:19:26 PM  Show Profile Send PaintGal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Hook!!

That's pretty much how I thought it would have to go. Now to get up the courage to poke holes in the collar.

Karen ~ Trails
&
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

~~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

Chuck
Forum Admin

USA
1265 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2017 :  10:32:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Chuck's Homepage Send Chuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Have you worked up that courage yet?

Chuck

Horse Saddle Shop

http://www.horsesaddleshop.com
Go to Top of Page

PaintGal
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
5300 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2017 :  5:35:01 PM  Show Profile Send PaintGal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chuck

Have you worked up that courage yet?

I DID!! We finally got it attached today after lots of modeling and measuring. I did call Outback and the gal I spoke with verified where I thought it should attach and sent me a pic of the directions that she said should have been included with the hood.

Rather than put the snaps near the coat edge of the collar, we moved them to about an inch from the outside edge so the hood would fit over my helmet better. I can adjust the size of the hood with the velcro thingy so it doesn't swallow my head without the helmet.

It was a bit painful using the hole punch to punch a hole in that oilskin but I AM WATERPROOF!

Karen ~ Trails
&
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

~~~~~~
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000