Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Creative, fun and entertaining
 Saddle Shop Corral
 Worst Nightmare...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

PaintGal
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
5300 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2017 :  2:29:14 PM  Show Profile Send PaintGal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As horse owners, our worst nightmare is probably a barn fire and a friend just lost his barn and 5 horses to fire last night. Some may remember David Davis whom I took lessons from, rode in his drill team and where Beth Ann and I met. His 150 y/o barn burned early this morning and they were only able to get 3 head out. He lost his trick stallion, Crusader, a police horse that had just arrived for training yesterday, 2 client mares (one had been sold and was to picked up today) and a pony. Fortunately, there weren't more horses in the barn as usual.

He lost all of his winter square bales, grain, tack, office with records, awards, pictures, etc. His arena was saved and he has a another barn that is not ideal but can be used for a few horses. He said they had debated bringing in more horses because of the single digit temps but decided they were okay outside..thank heavens.

Word spread quickly and it wasn't long after I got there that people showed up with hay, halters, leads, other tack and supplies. I helped unload a trailer and truck of hay, and people dropped off grain, made promises for more hay and grain and there is a "gift card" fund set up at a couple of places so he can get what he needs. All of that happened within a couple of hours! He kept saying he didn't want to be greedy and maybe he shouldn't accept all of the help coming in. I told him that's what horse people do for other horse people when there is a need.

Here are a couple of pics. The first of the flames, I did not take. The 2nd one, I did.

And Crusader as a yearling. He grew into a beautiful talented stallion.

If you can spare a prayer or two, I know he'd appreciate them.

Karen ~ Trails
&
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."

~~~~~~

Edited by - PaintGal on 01/07/2017 2:31:06 PM

Chuck
Forum Admin

USA
1265 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2017 :  5:34:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Chuck's Homepage Send Chuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That is so sad. Definitely will pray for him.

Chuck

Horse Saddle Shop

http://www.horsesaddleshop.com
Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2017 :  05:51:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How tragic.
Glad to see the folks rallied round and are helping him through it.

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

PaintGal
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
5300 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2017 :  09:11:11 AM  Show Profile Send PaintGal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The good part of this tragedy is the out pouring of suport. A semi trailer was donated to store the hay that is being donated. A GoFundMe account has been set up and is growing. Horse peeps are the best! The link to a local news report is below.

http://www.wdrb.com/story/34208271/lmpd-horse-one-of-five-horses-killed-in-devastating-barn-fire

Karen ~ Trails
&
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."

~~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2017 :  11:09:24 PM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No one can imagine what something like that is like until you experience it yourself. And I hope for everyone's sake that you never will. It saddens me to no end to read about something like this when horses are lost. We were more fortunate that our horses just happened to be turned out when my Dad's barn burned to the ground in 1970. The whole barn was gone in about fifteen minutes.

PG; I remember you posting a pic of that beautiful stallion before. What a shame to hear he's gone. My heart goes out to all who lost horses in that fire.

Ginger

"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

ILoveJoe
Clinician

USA
2499 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2017 :  6:22:51 PM  Show Profile Send ILoveJoe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Omg! So sorry to hear this. How devastating for him.
My condolences to him and his clients for their horrific losses.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.18 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000