Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Discussions
 General Information
 Fencing questions
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

fracturedbones
Clinician

3424 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2016 :  12:12:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit fracturedbones's Homepage Send fracturedbones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to fence and cross fence the new place. Temps can vary to freeze night time in winter (24 degrees) to 100 in summer.

Fun driving around seeing barn set ups! I only have 2 acres. Lot of vinyl and chain link here. Unless hot wired, I think the fjord would mow it down. Thinking wood again.

Anyone willing to share fencing type you all use and pros and cons of it (cost, looks, durability, etc)? Appreciate it!

PaintGal
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
5300 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2016 :  8:39:48 PM  Show Profile Send PaintGal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We have 4 board fence around most of the pasture, regular field fence with a top board down one side and the no-climb horse fence with a top board around the dry lots. The field fence is the least favorite of the 3 types we use. I like the wood fence but it needs painting every couple of years so if I was putting in more fence, I'd probably use the horse fence. We still have to paint the top board but that's one board, not 4!

Karen ~ Trails
&
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."

~~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

fracturedbones
Clinician

3424 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2016 :  4:36:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit fracturedbones's Homepage Send fracturedbones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info PG. You have such a large place!

That fjord likes to butt scratch the fence and it stresses even wood. If I hot wire whatever I use, then the blind pony is gonna get zapped. ugh. Trying to figure it all out. Appreciate suggestions and lessons learned!

Go to Top of Page

walkinthewalk
Advanced Rider

USA
215 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2016 :  09:03:53 AM  Show Profile Send walkinthewalk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
<sigh> I had a long reply typed last night, on the Ipad and lost it

I lived in Riverside County, CA for five years. I had 1-3/4 acres and it was entirely enclosed in 5' chain link when I bought it; including the horse area.

So chain link for your perimeter fence may be something to consider.

Two inch woven wire might be a consideration for your cross-fencing, with the possibility of the top wire being electric. Horses are smart and I would imagine the blind horse would learn where the top wire is if he got zapped once or twice. The two inch woven wire would prevent him from getting his hooves caught or from him rolling under something like board fencing or tape fencing.

I had FCP, in Temecula, CA build a loafing shed for me. They are a nationwide company. http://www.fcpbuildings.com/horse-barns/

The contractors from the Temecula facility were honest and ethical. I know that can vary from facility-to-facility but they would be someone I would consider again, if I still lived in SoCal.

I hope this is helpful to you:)

Congratulations on your retirement! You will find yourself becoming more disorganized as time goes, lollol I've been retired since 2011 and my organizational skills have slipped quite a bit, lol
Go to Top of Page

fracturedbones
Clinician

3424 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2016 :  4:24:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit fracturedbones's Homepage Send fracturedbones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Walk!
Thanks for your info. Great point that the pony is shorter and may not get zapped. He is about 12.2...so if I put hot wire high enough that just may work!

Spoke with a contractor yesterday, including labor 3 rail wood is about $20/linear foot. Ouch. Pondering doing the front of property in wood for aesthetics, and the horse areas chain link.

FCP has a nice web page. Called them twice and no call back
This contractor (Triple Crown arenas, all over So Cal) uses MD/BarnMaster. Loved my Barnmaster barn but with all the other expenses I may go Mare motel and side panels, and avoid permits which are a PITA, though people here say "what permit?" ha!

Where do you live now?
Go to Top of Page

walkinthewalk
Advanced Rider

USA
215 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2016 :  5:08:16 PM  Show Profile Send walkinthewalk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well shame on FCP

No permits for a mare motel? I would go with that, lollol

I had FCP build a 12 X 24 loafing shed (three sides) and I didn't need a permit. That was in 1998, I'm sure that has changed by now.

I understand about the board fence in front because it looks a lot better than chain link, lol

I loved the chain link, especially where the horses were. I drove 76 miles to Long Beach, the first two years I lived there. The chain link gave me peace of mind, knowing my three horses couldn't get out.

I am retired in southern Middle Tennessee on 23 acres. I am so glad to be back east of the Mississippi, even if we do have killer heat/humidity lollol
Go to Top of Page

Termite
Advanced Rider

369 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2016 :  11:11:19 AM  Show Profile Send Termite a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fracturedbones

You could ask your local Farrier and Vet for tips and advice.

Termite
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000