Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Saddle and Tack Topics
 Tack Questions and Comments
 Horse coats
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Colleen
Trainer

Canada
940 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2016 :  9:23:55 PM  Show Profile Send Colleen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We have a lot of horses around here, driving into town I see horses with coats, no coats, 15 horses horses together 3 with coats others not coats. My question is why coats??

Colleen who hopes to have a horse soon.

The air of heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears -- Arabian proverb

PaintGal
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
5300 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2016 :  10:36:16 PM  Show Profile Send PaintGal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Because their owners are cold? LOL!

Most horses do just fine without blankets if they're in good health. If they are in poor health for whatever reason, then blankets may be a good idea. Some people clip their horses and those horses would need blankets too.

Karen ~ Trails
&
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."

~~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

Colleen
Trainer

Canada
940 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2016 :  4:56:57 PM  Show Profile Send Colleen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay thanks Karen, just wondering. Don't think most of them are being clipped or even rode lol

Colleen who hopes to have a horse soon.

The air of heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears -- Arabian proverb

Go to Top of Page

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2016 :  3:51:12 PM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd imagine that some horse folks might think horses are comfortable in temps more normal for humans than horses. I rarely ever blanket my horses unless it's zero F or below... though there have been rare occasions when it's been warmer than that when I've found them shivering, but wind was a factor. If you're horse is shivering, by all means blanket them. They are shivering for their bodies to create body heat and losing the battle.

Horses are comfortable in a comfort range of 50 to 15 degrees F. Even water straight out of a tap in winter will help them create body heat as will extra hay. Usually a good wind break and a thick growth of winter hair will keep a horse comfortable all winter long.

"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

walkinthewalk
Advanced Rider

USA
215 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2016 :  09:24:40 AM  Show Profile Send walkinthewalk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
1. If the horses were at a boarding barn and only 3 of the ~15 were blanketed, the owners decided they needed blankets for any number of right or wrong reasons.

2. The horses were up in years and needed blankets so they wouldn't burn needed fat calories on staying warm.

3. The horses had health issues that needed them to have a blanket to keep them warm.

4. They were clipped and did not have enough hair to do what nature intended -- stay warm.

5. A combination of #2 & #3.

I blanketed my 27 & 29 year olds under extreme conditions. In their younger days they never needed blankets but in their last few years, it was obvious the blankets were appreciated.

I did not, however, keep them blanketed when they came in at night nor did I keep them blanketed on a daily basis. It was as-needed when the weather was bone chilling cold/damp/windy.
Go to Top of Page

PaintGal
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
5300 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2016 :  8:26:46 PM  Show Profile Send PaintGal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by walkinthewalk

I blanketed my 27 & 29 year olds under extreme conditions. In their younger days they never needed blankets but in their last few years, it was obvious the blankets were appreciated.

I did not, however, keep them blanketed when they came in at night nor did I keep them blanketed on a daily basis. It was as-needed when the weather was bone chilling cold/damp/windy.

That's because you have horse sense! I think some see horses that are blanketed because of they really do need to be and think all horses need to be blanketed.

Horses are do pretty well if we don't mess with them! I've only blanketed Joe a handful of times.

The first winter I had him because he'd been in a heated barn!

A couple of times when it was below 0 and windy.

I remember once when he was out (by his choice) and there was heavy rain, then the temps dropped fast. He was shivering and I put a cooling sheet on him to slow the evaporation then the heavy blanket when he was dry.

He was blanketed like a mummy with head & neck hood, heavy winter blanket and shipping boots when he had to make a trip to Purdue in the middle of winter. It was COLD and we had to make the 3 hour trip in my combo trailer with the slats open a the top and back. This was taken in early Feb of '07!

LOL! Check out the look he is giving me! He didn't get cold, though!

Karen ~ Trails
&
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."

~~~~~~

Edited by - PaintGal on 02/01/2016 8:28:19 PM
Go to Top of Page

walkinthewalk
Advanced Rider

USA
215 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2016 :  09:29:54 AM  Show Profile Send walkinthewalk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I saw "the look" before I cursored down to your comment, lol

He just looks thrilled to pieces, lollol

I know he can't have cookies but I'm sure he was thinking you didn't have enough cookies to make him happy about his wardrobe, that day, lol

He's probably also hoping he doesn't run into anyone he knows[B)

I can understand why you did that. Below Zero means a pretty heavy wind chill factor inside an open trailer.

I might even think about hanging that one on the picture wall
Go to Top of Page

PaintGal
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
5300 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2016 :  8:22:56 PM  Show Profile Send PaintGal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It was brutal that day. I was so worried that his ears would freeze!

Karen ~ Trails
&
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

~~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

hmeyer
Clinician

USA
2194 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2016 :  1:00:57 PM  Show Profile Send hmeyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have often heard that to blanket a horse that has a full coat, and is out of the wind & wet, could have an undesired effect because it can mash down the natural loft in his coat. If he is out of the wind and is dry, the best way to warm a shivering horse is to give him hay.

"You learn a thing a day, you store up smart" - Festus Haggen

"A manís soul canít be hidden,
From the creatures in his care." -
Hard Candy Cowboy by Debra Meyer

Go to Top of Page

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2016 :  1:38:47 PM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hmeyer

I have often heard that to blanket a horse that has a full coat, and is out of the wind & wet, could have an undesired effect because it can mash down the natural loft in his coat. If he is out of the wind and is dry, the best way to warm a shivering horse is to give him hay.

That and lots of free choice water that doesn't have any ice in it .

"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000