Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Discussions
 General Information
 Annual Check-in from The Gadget Queen
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2015 :  08:07:05 AM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hellooooo everyone!

I'm stopping in to touch base just for the heck of it. Actually because lately I've been having huge urges to resume camping even though no horse. Cloud did leave the world -- age 26, last December, she was healthy until suddenly she wasn't. Seizure, flat on the ground, legs stiff, vet called, testing done, bad news. So they had to put her down. RIP Cloud, you were a really fun, really elegant lady who ran with the best of them until you suddenly dropped one day, with no build-up and no notice. (The perfect way to go.)

My trip across country from New Hampshire to Indiana for the 2007 DE Ride Weekend will always remain one of my top favorite memories, and I will always have warmies writ large for all my then Indiana friends. Even though I haven't spent my life sitting behind a spinning wheel, that whole 2 weeks of travel with mah hoss and spending such great time with such great people rates way up there in memorable experiences, and typically off the wall. (Definitely an experience for an old lady to make a trip like that, sleeping in horse stalls and fields on the way, lol.)

So now I'm back into the urge for camping but at 72 it will be less eventful. However, in all these years of having a minivan, it never dawned on me to outfit it so I could take a month-long trip in it where it becomes my home, and that's what I'm thinking of doing this winter. We got 6 ft. of snow last winter and heck, a minivan is big enough to live out of for a month. If I love it, and love it enough, then my planned downsizing might "go drastic" (a la a bigger (Ford, GMC or whatever full size van for "Van Dwelling" mobile lifestyle with a very small apt. as a home base, and just go see the country I live in). First ze leetle trial. Minivan that I already have.

Along that line: Some really cool things I've discovered that you may or may not already know about. If so then I'm going to bore you. If not, then you might like them for horse camping.

What I did NOT know is that those standard white 5-gallon buckets that horse supplements (and paint and roofing products) come in are also made in human quality Food Grade. Cheap. Home Depot, Lowe's. $5 bucks. The kind that have lids that you have to pry off and break fingernails in the process.

BUT what led me to them is a thing called a Gamma Lid. These are amazing! Here's a youtube video that tells about them and shows their colors. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08J89mM52T8 Serious potential, these lids.

However, as expensive as they are on Amazon, Home Depot carries them for $7.25 in black and Lowe's carries them for $7.28 in white. The rim you literally have to pound onto the bucket with a rubber mallet (or you can put it on the ground upside down and jump on the bottom of the bucket to seat it) but once they're on there, they're on. Then the main part of the lid that screws into that rim -- yes, airtight. So not only great for horse grain freshness but for human dry food stash when horse camping. Or for that matter, storage of woolens where mice or moths can't possibly get to them. Easy in, easy close. Both those stores also have the food grade buckets in 5-gallon as well as 2-gallon. (I haven't found a cheap source for the smaller 2-gallon gamma lids--may have to order them from Utah).

Other use:
If you go to Home Depot they have the 5-gallon size buckets in the coolest camouflage design for hunters which, if paired with a black gamma lid, makes a really cool porta potty. Line it with "wastebasket size" trash liner bags, and put kitty litter in the bottom of the bag. Great for overnight, then toss the bag (just as you would normally toss your cat's kitty litter). HOWEVER, I've been trying this at home and I don't like the kitty litter. I read somewhere that if you get a box of "overnight ultra" adult diapers (for old people who have incontinence which I don't) that those are filled (and contained) with a material that turns to gel when wet. That would be less heavy and nicer to dispose of. Just put one or two of those in the bottom of the bag inside the lined cammo bucket. Air tight. And you don't have to wrench the gamma lid closed for air tight, just spin it until it stops. These are a great design and very well constructed. Definitely a time when you want air tight.

The reason I'm thinking of this alternative in place of the porta potty I had in my horse trailer is... well, minivans are carpeted. What if there was a breach in the holding tank. No biggie in a horse trailer but not good in a carpeted minivan.

I'm also working on a possible ice chest replacement using a 5-gallon bucket with gamma lid (all white) that would get a convection air flow going which beats inches of insulation. Not quite figured that out yet but working on it.

And for stability under travel, the 5-gallon buckets fit very nicely inside Sterlite milk crates, where you could put soft goods (tack?) in the corners where the bucket isn't. But way less chance of buckets rolling around.

Next: Hot horse trailer. Hot horses. How many horse trailers are air conditioned? Take a look at this! If you didn't want to mess with solar, these fans come battery operatable (four AA batteries). This just seems to be a killer way of cooling off the inside of a horse trailer while underway. (One of the reasons I'm here because the heat in my brown horse trailer gave me guilt nightmares on the last 40 miles of backroads between highway and DE landing place). So here's another youtube video that shows this cool idea (pun). Soooo cheap and easy to make! But this would definitely cool down a horse trailer. For hours.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3YvF4eVQO0

Last but not least, I discovered this amaaaazing freaking cookset for camping. It arrived the other day. It is absolutely superior to my good set at home. The whole thing nests, lots of pans, and they can be used for mixing bowls too. Very small footprint. Incredible design. Quality I would NEVER have hoped for. This thing is so ridiculously underpriced at $52. (More elsewhere, Amazon has it at a really great price, free shipping). I tried the fry pan for bacon and being a confirmed lover of vintage cast iron, it saddens me that the heavy-clad bottoms of these pans are so superior to making bacon in any of my iron. But it's great. Not only that, the lid that works for all the pan sizes makes a dynamite bacon press. Very small footprint for ALL your cookware. Handle is built like a truck too. (I hope whatever factory they use in China doesn't put it to them in costs so they have to reduce quality because that happens.) Right now, however, highest recommendations for camping. Or home. Small kitchen cabinet space.
http://www.amazon.com/Stansport-Premium-Quality-Stainless-Cookset/dp/B000HK50IU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1439381905&sr=8-1&keywords=stansport+family+cookset

That's it! As I've been finding stuff for van camping, it's just been constantly occurring to me how some of this mickeymousing of stuff would have been so great for horse camping, so it's been bugging me not to come over here and drop these links for people.

Love to all! Give your horses a big sloppy kiss right on the green-foamed lips for me. Okay, that soft spot that stays clean will do. I really miss kissing Cloud's soft spot. On her nose.
Carol

Edited by - OnTheWay on 08/12/2015 08:19:03 AM

EZ2SPOT
Clinician

USA
3785 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2015 :  12:29:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit EZ2SPOT's Homepage Send EZ2SPOT a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lots of good ideas! Let us know how the mini-van camping goes, too! Sure would beat sleeping in a tent, I'd think!

EZ2SPOT
Go to Top of Page

PaintGal
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
5300 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2015 :  09:30:03 AM  Show Profile Send PaintGal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's SO good to hear from you! I've been wondering about you & Cloud. I'm sorry she is gone. She was a beautiful mare that was a pleasure to watch go down the trail. Thanks for the tips!

We've taken up camping which unfortunately for me, doesn't include taking Joe. He's at home and we're headed to Cody, WY and then on somewhere. We aren't sure which direction we'll turn right now. We know it won't be east for a while. There are a LOT of options for camping and one doesn't have to break the bank to do it.

I wish you'd check in more than once a year!

Karen ~ Trails
&
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."

~~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2015 :  10:22:44 AM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Karen! Amaaaaaaazing that you are headed to Cody! Just yesterday my plow guy was here so his son could go metal-detecting around my field and we started talking about camping, then their annual trip that's usually out west. He said that he LOVES a town called Cody, and it was in WY. He said if he ever had to live somewhere other than NE, that would be it, hands down. Bear in mind I've never heard of Cody before yesterday and I'm not sure it's very well known (maybe it is) but if not, this is quite a coincidence. What kind of camping are you doing? I'm getting pretty enamored of full size vans -- more of a minimalist answer to motorhomes in terms of gas, places you can park and just general stuff that can go wrong in a motorhome (having had one I remember that part well). Now my ears perk up when I hear about people out traveling, so tell all. If you don't want to here, then I changed my profile so that people can email direct. Thanks for responding, great to hear from you also.
Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2015 :  9:14:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Carol.
It's great to hear from you. Sad to hear about Cloud but I hope when I go it is quick but they do take a piece of your heart with them when they go.

Sounds like a great plan to go camping. You will just have to keep us up-to-date and we do like pictures.

I like the idea of those Gamma lids. Have to try a few. Should be super handy for a lot of things.

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2015 :  9:29:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just for the memories.

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2015 :  9:43:21 PM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh Hook, great to hear from you! I was hoping you'd chime in. My very best to Mrs. Hook too! Hanging out with you two were a highlight of my trip! And I STILL think of you with great gratitude for surprising me with having cleaned out Cloud's trailer stall when I arrived, lol. (I was soooo done with sore back, you have no idea how much that meant.)

It's taking me forever to screw around with all my camping stuff (which I have spread out in the barn as well as in my kitchen) and it's a ridiculous amount of "maybies" but the idea, at this point, is to try it out van-style in ways that would mimic long term, even with something as small as a minivan since I already have that. (Not much of a test but the best I can come up with at this point.) But I'm sure attracted to the idea of having two "homes" -- one being completely mobile and the other one as inexpensive of a land base as possible (think minimalist). I'm VERY tired of being owned by an insanely high overhead that is pointlessly draining and can't keep up with all this "antique" house requires. So "camping" is more experimental trial than just camping for its own sake. Will see how that goes. Once I get the little minivan set up I will take photos but expect nothing built in, just mickey-moused with interior flexibility high priority because I want the whole shebang to be removable within 20 minutes. If I take it to a more serious step, full size cargo van or conversion, then that would be different. Amazing what people are putting together in the space of a simple cargo van vs. motorhome size rigs. The whole idea really appeals to me. Fortunately I do have some experience living off grid but very long ago, and before there were things like cell phones, battery banks, solar, etc. (Talking kerosene and D batteries and a manual Royal typewriter, lol. There's a LOT you can do nowadays to make "off grid" not that bad.)

Yeah, Cloud was a great horse. She had a good long life -- active until her last day, no suffering. Sad she's no longer with us but very glad she didn't have to deal with any lingering bad stuff over time.
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2015 :  9:49:09 PM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by Hook

Just for the memories.

OMG!!! Hook, thank you!! That's the ONLY picture I now have of me with Cloud. I'm usually the one taking photos or not liking them, so I have very few OF myself. Thank you SOOOO much! I did a "save as" so whatever size file that is, I will be thrilled. If your original is a bigger file size, could you email it as an attachment? Do you have any others? Can't believe this! I really only have one other good photo of her, let alone me with her (not). Thank you! A zillion times.
Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2015 :  9:57:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OnTheWay

[quote]Originally posted by Hook

Just for the memories.

OMG!!! Hook, thank you!! That's the ONLY picture I now have of me with Cloud. I'm usually the one taking photos or not liking them, so I have very few OF myself. Thank you SOOOO much! I did a "save as" so whatever size file that is, I will be thrilled. If your original is a bigger file size, could you email it as an attachment? Do you have any others? Can't believe this! I really only have one other good photo of her, let alone me with her (not). Thank you! A zillion times.

Here are a few more. I will check my original photos and see what I have and get them on the way to you in the next day or so.

Hook(ed)......on Horses

Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2015 :  10:01:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And this one of your rig Carol.

Hook(ed)......on Horses

Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2015 :  10:16:14 PM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
LOVE it! I don't have any of these! Nothing like them. I never think of taking photos of my own shtick, lol. Sheesh, Ed, amazing you have these. I'm doing copy/paste on every one of them. Thanks SO much for checking your files! Wow.
Go to Top of Page

PaintGal
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
5300 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2015 :  6:52:50 PM  Show Profile Send PaintGal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Carol,

It took me years to convince my hubby to get a camper. I finally succeeded and we found a B+ which I was going to use to go horse camping in. It was small... only 22' including the cab. I had it hooked up to the trailer once. Gary always found a reason that I shouldn't go anywhere in it. We did camp in it for a year but decided if we were going to continue camping and traveling, we needed something a bit bigger. We bought a 28' Class A (they look like a bus) and kept it 3 years then got the diesel pusher bug. We sold the 28' and now have a 35'. It's way more comfy but I know I'll never ever get to go horse camping with it. :(

Cody, WY is just east of Yellowstone and is the home of Buffalo Bill Cody! There is a wonderful museum here and lots of things to do. My hubby fly fishes and there is a lot of that in this area. I hope to find a trail ride and at least get to ride while I'm here.

Karen ~ Trails
&
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."

~~~~~~
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.23 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000