Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Discussions
 General Information
 Rescue Horse experiences
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SaddleExpert
Administrator

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2015 :  09:24:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit SaddleExpert's Homepage Send SaddleExpert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Has anyone ever taken a rescued horse?

I talk to a number of people about them, but wondered if anyone had an experience they'd like to share. There could be a number of reasons the rescue was needed but I was thinking if anyone has done it, what tips do you have to share?

walkinthewalk
Advanced Rider

USA
215 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2015 :  10:47:18 AM  Show Profile Send walkinthewalk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have taken in a few hungry horses and horses that needed serious re-habbing but three serious rescues stand out, over my life time.

1. One was product of divorce, nobody was paying the board, the horse skinnier than heck 5-gaited Saddlebred was about to get booted onto the street. I managed to get his papers which was a good thing because he was a show horse thru and thru, and would hyperventilate on the trails.

He was happy with his life being in the show ring so, with some help from some show oriented folks, I managed to get him back to people that would appreciate his talents.

He was 17H and full of sweetness. I did not want to part with him but I am a die hard trail rider it was obvious to all of us long time horse owners that he did not want to be re-schooled to go crashing thru the woods.

2. One was left at the local auction to die. The local humane and sheriff helped me confiscate and buy him (had I fostered the horse, the owners would have had the right to take him back -- isn't that something. The vet said if he lived thru the night I had a chance of saving him.

He did and I did. He was a great child's horse but my son outgrew him, so I rehomed him to a horse family with children.

3. My last one was the Arab I rescued when he was seven and recently had to lay to rest, at age 29 with tumors. He was more special than most and most assuredly in AAA category of prime children's horses.

He came into my life a few weeks after I lost my son in a car accident; he saved my soul and my sanity.

I knew come H**l or Highwater, the Little Guy would stay with me until his end time. He is now behind the barn with his BFF of 22 years, who was PTS'd last November at age 27, with strangulating lipomas.

My words of wisdom to anyone who has never rescued a horse?

1. You better have a lot of horse experience. More often than not, what you see on the surface is just the tip of the proverbial iceburg.

2. You need some really deep pockets and/or be willing to sacrifice a lot of things for your self. While some abuse/negelect things heal right away, others cause a lifetime of problems.

Along with being starved, my Arab also had an injured vertebra. He ended up with more chiro work, acupunctures and massages during his 22 years with me, than any three people. I didn't know about the injury until he was well enough to ride and I realized something was wrong with him.

So "Let The Rescuer Beware". Be sure you are capable in all ways of taking a horse on, elst you end up being the next person the horse needs rescued from
Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2015 :  07:20:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very good summary of what you can get into with a Rescue Horse. Your rescues were very lucky to have found you. WITW.

Pulls the heart strings and sometimes you just can't walk away.

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

EZ2SPOT
Clinician

USA
3785 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2015 :  6:50:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit EZ2SPOT's Homepage Send EZ2SPOT a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It has been a while since I've checked the DE, so I missed this!

If you rescue a fairly young horse, don't be surprised if it has physical problems in adulthood due to malnutrition as a baby. That doesn't mean it won't be a good horse, but not being fed and cared for right when young, does seem to cause problems and unsoundnesses later in life.

Years ago, I bought a skin-and-bones part Arab weanling; by the time he was a year old, my vet could not believe he was the same horse. He did develop high ringbone when he was a few years old though, and I don't know whether being starved as a baby had anything to do with it. He was never lame while I had him, though. I sold him as a 7-year-old, and lost track of him.

EZ2SPOT
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000