Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Saddle and Tack Topics
 Tack Questions and Comments
 Rope Halters?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SaddleExpert
Administrator

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2014 :  11:07:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit SaddleExpert's Homepage Send SaddleExpert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What does everyone think of rope halters? They're pretty popular but seem like a tangled mess waiting to happen. Anyone use them?

PaintGal
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
5300 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2014 :  09:44:56 AM  Show Profile Send PaintGal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Never ever leave a rope halter on a horse. I love mine but only use it when I'm riding and expect to tie up for lunch or at the trailer. For that purpose, it's perfect. Light weight & narrow so I'm not adding a wide piece of leather or nylon to my horses head. It makes me feel cooler even if it doesn't do much for Joe. LOL!

Karen ~ Trails
&
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."

~~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

Dani
Beginning Rider

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2014 :  2:58:51 PM  Show Profile Send Dani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The one I have is kind of stiff so it never gets tangled. I only use it when I'm doing ground work or taking photos.
Go to Top of Page

walkinthewalk
Advanced Rider

USA
215 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2014 :  09:35:45 AM  Show Profile Send walkinthewalk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No.

I'm old school. I started out back in the day when the tack vendors at the horse auctions actually sold real leather halters, that the leather didn't come from India.

Then I gravitated toward double-stitched nylon halters because real leather halters were getting too expensive.

I also will never leave a halter on a horse in their stall or in the pasture. My granddad used to preach "poor horseman" to my cousin and I, if we thought we needed a halter left on a horse to catch it-------

That's what a piece of hay twine rolled up in ones hand was (and still is) for.

As far as training, in today's world, with a rope halter? Still no. If I were still starting or finishing young horses, there would not be any rope halters involved.

It's the same principle as all my vehicles having clutches in them. At my old age, if I changed to something else, I'd probably get killed
Go to Top of Page

Dani
Beginning Rider

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2014 :  07:40:18 AM  Show Profile Send Dani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to agree with never leaving halters on horses unless they are being handled. Most of the time I use the flat nylon halters and my rope halter never sees the light of day. I really like the looks of it for photos and, as I said, I occasionally use it for ground work--never use it for tying a horse.
Go to Top of Page

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2014 :  5:06:08 PM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like flat nylon myself, and regardless of them weighing more than rope halters, I feel that rope halters would irritate a horse's skin much more than a flat nylon would when it comes to my trail horse being comfortable wearing a halter under the bridle.

I've also never had problems training my horses with flat nylon halters and don't see that much of an advantage over rope halters in this respect.

Like walkin', I might be somewhat old fashioned in my ways with my horses. And I also agree that it's downright dangerous to leave any kind of halter on a horse at liberty. It's a train wreck just waiting to happen.

"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

fracturedbones
Clinician

3424 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2014 :  10:44:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit fracturedbones's Homepage Send fracturedbones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've got a couple, but don't use them much. Started using them for lunging, but found they shift all over the place on the horses face and didn't like that...couldn't feel to good to the horse.
Go to Top of Page

SaddleExpert
Administrator

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2014 :  12:58:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit SaddleExpert's Homepage Send SaddleExpert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great feedback. I enjoy and appreciate the different perspectives.
Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2014 :  07:12:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We don't use rope halters. And NEVER turn horses out with a halter either.

Hookie has a leather halter because it was a gift from Fern and a like the looks of it better.

Of course nylon halters do not need as much care and we have some that are older than the horse that now use them.

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

hmeyer
Clinician

USA
2194 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2015 :  12:09:37 AM  Show Profile Send hmeyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rope halters are all we ever use. Properly fitted and tied they are excellent training tools, with the knots providing effective pressure points when adjusted right. We use the rope halters made by Terry Tryon, which are made of soft yacht rope. Same with the lead rope which has great feel and life. They are easy and quick to put on, last forever and are pretty much maintenance-free. Although I must admit that I sometimes trail ride with my halter on under the bridle, I think it is better to take it off when bridling and put it in your saddlebag. Better to use a get-down rope (neck rope) instead of leaving the halter on under the bridle. This would apply to web halters as well.

Agree - never leave any kind of a halter on a horse at liberty - dangerous, not to mention rude to the horse. It is just as easy to catch a horse who is not wearing a halter as one who is.

"You learn a thing a day, you store up smart" - Festus Haggen

"A manís soul canít be hidden,
From the creatures in his care." -
Hard Candy Cowboy by Debra Meyer

Go to Top of Page

Cayuse
Advanced Rider

Canada
156 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2015 :  5:03:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Cayuse's Homepage Send Cayuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I use a properly fitting rope halter on my lease horse on occasion. I only use it for groundwork or when I think he is going to be a bit of a handful. He doesn't always get all the hay he wants so he is quite capable of dragging me around the yard when his stomach takes over. I am afraid of adding to my list of old injuries so I admit that I find rope halters give me a little more control of him when he gets strong. He just ignores pressure on flat webbing and I am not very strong. I Never turn out a horse with a rope halter on though.

Cayuse
A lovely horse is always an experience...It is an emotional experience of the kind that is spoiled by words. Beryl Markham
Riding is a complicated joy. You learn something each time. It is never quite the same, and you never know it all. Monica Dickens

Edited by - Cayuse on 02/02/2015 5:04:16 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000