Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Discussions
 Trails
 Seemed like nothing went right... this time.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2014 :  11:28:15 AM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
About a week ago, I returned to Salamonie State Forest to do some more video recordings at the top of the twin waterfall in the rocky gorge area. The ride from the day riders area to there was fairly uneventful. This was on a Sunday, and with the hiking trail that was created about two years ago, I knew that I could have hikers coming through where I wanted to record.

I was not disappointed. Family groups of hikers--along with a couple groups of trail riders--came through one after another for awhile before I could get the place to myself long enough to do a video in the creek bed at the top of the waterfall. It's been dry around here of late, so very little water was flowing over the rocks this time.

I'd planned to do two videos; one involving my native American flutes, and the other with Terra and how special she is to me.

I got the first one done, but the one with Terra never happened. This is where I had to wait so long for the tourists to clear out. Oh I realize they had as much right to be there as I did, and it being a Sunday, it was to be expected. What I didn't expect was for someone on private property to decide to do some shooting practice somewhere in the vicinity. Six shots then quiet for maybe five minutes. And then six more shots. This went on and on. About the time I thought they were done, six more shots would ring through the forest. I finally gave up, mounted Terra, and continued on my way.

I kept the meeting of the eagle by the river just days earlier in my mind and headed that way. To my surprise, I didn't see an eagle but a doe crossing the river where I would've ridden Terra out into it. The doe was belly deep in the water and making her way to our side of the river. I stayed among the trees along the bank and tried to get a video of her from Terra's back. No go. Terra hadn't seen the doe, but was not thrilled with the idea of standing still.

By now the doe was on the bank. I'd missed my chance of the gorgeous view of her crossing the river. Once more I tried to get her on the camcorder. Once more Terra wanted to turn around and leave. Things only worsened when she noticed the doe. When I think of how many times Terra and I had come across deer with no problems, and now Terra was acting like she'd never seen a deer in her life.

Getting a video of the doe was impossible from the saddle. So I dismounted and let go of the bridle reins like I'd done many times with Terra never wandering off. To my amazement, Terra turned away and trotted off toward camp. I couldn't believe it! Never NEVER had she ever done this. I found her a couple of minutes later, praised be, off the trail in belly-high brush.

I led her back to the trail, mounted, and there was the doe still browsing on leaves watching us like we're idiots, and who could blame her. Terra still had to act like the doe was some forest demon that loved to eat horses and didn't settle until we put distance between us and the river.

To top everything off; the one video I did get at the top of the twin falls showed me from my shoulders down. My head was completely out of view. So my efforts there were a total waste. And only after I got home did I find out my camera tripod was missing. Because of my haste to get my camera out, I'd left my horn bag open. The tripod must've fallen out when Terra decided to go back to camp without me. Probably buried in the high brush I'd imagine. At least it wasn't the camcorder that had been with me through that particular fiasco.

I'm sure there's a lesson to be had in all this. I just haven't figured it out yet. Maybe it's that sometimes you can have the most magical ride in your life, and other times your worst nightmare. Regardless Terra and I survived, and we'll give it another try sometime soon.

"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown

EZ2SPOT
Clinician

USA
3785 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2014 :  12:31:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit EZ2SPOT's Homepage Send EZ2SPOT a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's exactly it; some rides go unbelievably well, and others...you are just glad to have survived! I'm sorry that this ride wasn't all you'd hoped it would be, but it sure did make for an interesting story! And there will be many more rides to come in the future...

It does seem like you never know what is going to happen when you encounter a deer, though. When I was riding Warsong down by the river at Strawtown, there was a deer right in the middle of the trail, and she didn't move. I yelled...nothing. Warsong was watching it, and getting a little nervous because it didn't move, and I decided I might be better off to take some action, rather than just wait for the deer to move and see how Warsong would react. So I put her into a trot and headed right toward it. That FINALLY got the deer moving and into the brush, and we went by without incident. THEN Warsong heard the deer moving in the brush, but couldn't see it, and she did freak out a little. Thank goodness she knows the one-rein stop so well!

EZ2SPOT
Go to Top of Page

fracturedbones
Clinician

3424 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2014 :  2:52:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit fracturedbones's Homepage Send fracturedbones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good to hear you got out.
I'd look at the good side, you didn't get dumped, Tara didn't run too far off and you didn't have to hoof it all the way back to camp!

bummer about the shooting (I'd high tail it!) and your tripod.
Go to Top of Page

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2014 :  5:51:31 PM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fracturedbones

Good to hear you got out.
I'd look at the good side, you didn't get dumped, Tara didn't run too far off and you didn't have to hoof it all the way back to camp!

bummer about the shooting (I'd high tail it!) and your tripod.

I knew there was no danger from the gun shots. The river isn't too far from there with private property on the far side. That's where the shots were coming from. They had every right to have target practice on their own land. I couldn't fault them for that.

And you're right about not having to hoof it back to camp on foot. It was doable from there, just not desirable . I'm sure my next ride will be an improvement over this one... I hope .

"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Colleen
Trainer

Canada
940 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2014 :  10:58:27 PM  Show Profile Send Colleen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Everything happens for a reason you will see.

Colleen who hopes to have a horse soon.

The air of heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears -- Arabian proverb

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000