Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Saddle and Tack Topics
 Tack Questions and Comments
 Halters
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

minifarmer
Tenderfoot

2 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2013 :  11:23:43 AM  Show Profile Send minifarmer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is the first of probably many silly questions, but I'm trying to buy a new halter for my horse, which should be a simple matter, but I'm honestly baffled by all the brands I see out there. I suspect this is going to be the case for ALL the shiny new things I want to buy.

Is there a big difference between say, a Hamilton halter vrs. a Weaver halter?

I'm just looking for a basic halter to be used for turnout and easy groundwork, but I don't want to buy something and then find I've made a poor decision.

Any feedback at all is welcome! And thank you in advance!

PaintGal
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
5300 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2013 :  5:04:18 PM  Show Profile Send PaintGal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the ones that have the snap on the side so you can pull it over their ears and all you need to do is snap it. I like the nylon ones and a breakaway is a must especially if you intend to leave it on when your horse is turned out but if at all possible, I'd take it off for turnout.

Here is a link to the halters on HorseSaddleShop.com: http://www.horsesaddleshop.com/halandlead.html#.UoABP0DrzkM

Any of the 3 that have the side snap looks like they'd be good choices. I doubt that you'd need a lead with the chain.

There's one DO NOT EVER that you need to be aware of if you aren't already and that is DO NOT EVER leave a rope halter on when the horse is turned out.

Karen ~ Trails
&
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."

~~~~~~
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000