Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Discussions
 Trails
 Fall Riding Plans
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

appygirl
Clinician

USA
3211 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2013 :  7:27:48 PM  Show Profile Send appygirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, the trees are beginning to turn and there is a nip in the night air. Fall is definitely coming, and what better time is there to camp and ride? Let's hear about everyone's camping/riding trips that are coming up in the next few weeks.

PG, we are going to be riding Spring Valley the weekend of Oct 18 - 20. Would also like ride at Shaker Village in Harrodsburg, Ky. and Taylorsville Lake in Taylorsville, Ky.

Anyone else planning on throwing a leg over the saddle and some logs on the fire?

Appygirl

Man does not have the only memory,
The animals remember,
The earth remembers,
The stones remember,
If you know how to listen, they will tell you many things.
- Claude Kuwanijuma - Hopi Spiritual leader

PaintGal
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
5300 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2013 :  8:43:28 PM  Show Profile Send PaintGal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Darn it!! We'll be camping (horseless) that weekend if the embarrassing bunch of fools in Washington gets their act together.

I hope to see a lot of leaves from the saddle this year but Joe is so out of shape (and so am I) that I'll need to spend some time getting us toned up. Hopefully, the guy leasing our farm will get his corn outta my way soon.

Karen ~ Trails
&
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."

~~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

hmeyer
Clinician

USA
2194 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2013 :  10:12:38 PM  Show Profile Send hmeyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We'll be heading to Shawnee Natl Forest October 24th for a long weekend with our usual group of suspects. We've only been on 2 campouts all summer, and one of those didn't include much riding, so I am really looking forward to this one. This will be my first chance to give my new saddle an extended workout, other than just an hour or so at a time. Hope the roughout seat doesn't come back to bite me!

"You learn a thing a day, you store up smart" - Festus Haggen

"A manís soul canít be hidden,
From the creatures in his care." -
Hard Candy Cowboy by Debra Meyer

Go to Top of Page

appygirl
Clinician

USA
3211 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2013 :  5:53:25 PM  Show Profile Send appygirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One word, Harv......Vaseline! (a little dab will do ya!) lol

I have never been to Shawnee but I have heard many good things about the trails there. Enjoy your ride!

I am looking forward to riding Thunder in his new saddle. I had the equine chiro check the fit out and he said it fit great! Just hoping it fits my bedonkadonk as well as it fits Thunder's back!

Make sure you take plenty of pics of your ride, Harv!

Appygirl

The animals remember,
The earth remembers,
The stones remember,

Go to Top of Page

EZ2SPOT
Clinician

USA
3785 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2013 :  12:27:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit EZ2SPOT's Homepage Send EZ2SPOT a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was just at Brown County last weekend, and might be camping at Hickory Ridge Later this month. Kind of watching to see if the weather will be good enough to make the trip worth it! RH and I attended the ITRA ride in mid-September, but she had to leave early due to a family emergency. Hope you all enjoy your fall rides!

EZ2SPOT
Go to Top of Page

appygirl
Clinician

USA
3211 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2013 :  7:21:30 PM  Show Profile Send appygirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How were the trails at BC? Maria and I rode there earlier this year and Trail B, beyond the Story trail, was very muddy and hazardous.

I wonder if the government shut down is affecting Hoosier National?

Appygirl

The animals remember,
The earth remembers,
The stones remember,

Go to Top of Page

EZ2SPOT
Clinician

USA
3785 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2013 :  12:28:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit EZ2SPOT's Homepage Send EZ2SPOT a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We didn't get beyond Story. There were some mud pits, but you could easily go around them. Apparently, the Blackwell and Hickory Ridge campgrounds are closed, though since they are free and there is no gatehouse, I don't know how they are going to keep people out.

EZ2SPOT
Go to Top of Page

hmeyer
Clinician

USA
2194 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2013 :  12:42:53 PM  Show Profile Send hmeyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Knowing the govt, they will spend more to keep people out, just to make an issue, than they would just to leave it alone. I'm about fed up.

Go to Top of Page

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2013 :  6:22:16 PM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm wondering about places like MTR and Monk's that are private owned horse camps. I doubt if the National Forestry people could keep riders from there out. Are there gates that can be closed and locked to block horse rigs out of places like Hickory Ridge and Blackwell? Any thoughts anyone?

"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

hmeyer
Clinician

USA
2194 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2013 :  9:17:54 PM  Show Profile Send hmeyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, there are no gates, at least not at Blackwell, unless they go to the expense of putting some up. They could post signs that say closed though. There are no fees at Blackwell however. The only expense I can see that they would save are the maintenance people who clean the toilets and mow. And if they lay off the personnel, who is gonna enforce it?

Go to Top of Page

EZ2SPOT
Clinician

USA
3785 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2013 :  5:59:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit EZ2SPOT's Homepage Send EZ2SPOT a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is very frustrating! RH, Kim at MTR posted that the trails are open, though the Hickory Ridge and Blackwell campgrounds are closed. Harv, no fees at Hickory Ridge, either. They COULD use something to block the roads to both camps, however.

EZ2SPOT
Go to Top of Page

kris
Groomer

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2013 :  12:41:42 PM  Show Profile Send kris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am hoping to ride at Shaker Village Sunday and would like to plan a camping trip the 19th 20th. Where is Spring Valley?
Go to Top of Page

appygirl
Clinician

USA
3211 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2013 :  9:44:20 PM  Show Profile Send appygirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Kris, I'd like to get to Shaker Village sometime before the snow flies, too. From what I hear, they have really improved and expanded and improvedthe trails there, as well as gotten rid of the gates to open and close!

Spring Valley is in Southern Indiana near Paoli. It is a really nice trail system where the trails are nicely maintained and easily traversed. It's not a huge trail system, but enough to enjoy for a day's worth of riding. I'm the kind of person that doesn't need to ride a different trail every day, as long as I'm in the saddle, I'm good!

Appygirl

The animals remember,
The earth remembers,
The stones remember,

Go to Top of Page

appygirl
Clinician

USA
3211 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2013 :  9:45:58 PM  Show Profile Send appygirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's going to be an absolutely gorgeous weekend, this Saturday and Sunday! Wish I was going to be in the saddle, but have to go to a family birthday celebration on Sunday:(.

Appygirl

The animals remember,
The earth remembers,
The stones remember,

Go to Top of Page

EZ2SPOT
Clinician

USA
3785 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2013 :  7:50:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit EZ2SPOT's Homepage Send EZ2SPOT a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I rode today at a small park called Westwood, which is just west of New Castle here in Indiana. The trail goes around a lake, and it was a beautiful day to ride! I did have a scare, though. A loose horse came running up behind us on a narrow part of the trail; ravine on one side, and weeds and a fence on the other. Warsong jumped into the weeds and probably saved us from a collision, but I was nearly unseated in the process! Fortunately, it all ended well. The horse was caught, my nerves settled a bit, and we went on with our ride.

EZ2SPOT
Go to Top of Page

appygirl
Clinician

USA
3211 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2013 :  8:44:18 PM  Show Profile Send appygirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank goodness you didn't have a crash, and glad Warsong jumper in the right direction! It was a beautiful day here in KY, too, but I didn't get any riding in; just fishing. For some reason, I think I've been to Westwood, from years and years ago.

Appygirl

The animals remember,
The earth remembers,
The stones remember,

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000