Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Caring and Owning Horses
 Grooming and Health
 Equine Chiropractor Therapy
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

appygirl
Clinician

USA
3211 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2013 :  8:26:53 PM  Show Profile Send appygirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Had the farrier out last week who placed natural balance shoes on Thunder's front feet and set the hind shoes back......still forging a little every now and then. My farrier is also a trainer, and I had him check Thunder over for other potential problems. What he found is that Thunder is VERY sore in his back, both at the withers and further back.

I am switching saddles and also have scheduled a chiropractor to visit on Thursday. Does anyone have experience with chiros on sore-backed horses?

Appygirl

Man does not have the only memory,
The animals remember,
The earth remembers,
The stones remember,
If you know how to listen, they will tell you many things.
- Claude Kuwanijuma - Hopi Spiritual leader

hmeyer
Clinician

USA
2194 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2013 :  10:24:51 PM  Show Profile Send hmeyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sometimes it hurts, and they don't like it. When we had the Chiropractor/Vet come work on Annie, Adam was holding her and she turned around and bit him! Be careful!

"You learn a thing a day, you store up smart" - Festus Haggen

"A manís soul canít be hidden,
From the creatures in his care." -
Hard Candy Cowboy by Debra Meyer

Go to Top of Page

Dani
Beginning Rider

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2013 :  07:44:40 AM  Show Profile Send Dani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've had a chiropractor and massage therapist work on my horses. They didn't seem to mind the chiro and they LOVED the massage therapist. Also had acupuncture done. If I could find anyone close around here I'd have them checked out just for prevention, but they are few and far between in my area.
Go to Top of Page

appygirl
Clinician

USA
3211 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2013 :  7:15:44 PM  Show Profile Send appygirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I remember that happening to Adam, Harv. I will definitely watch out for Thunder's teeth. I checked his back tonight and he didn't seem to be quite as sore, so hopefully whatever it is may be resolving itself (regarding his sore back at least).

Here in my part of KY, there are plenty of chiros to choose from, with the big question being can their fee be afforded. They are used to working on the big thoroughbred and saddlebred farms and charging big fees for deep pockets.

Appygirl

The animals remember,
The earth remembers,
The stones remember,

Go to Top of Page

PaintGal
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
5300 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2013 :  7:24:37 PM  Show Profile Send PaintGal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You might ask around and see if you could take Thunder to a chiro already scheduled at a barn. They charge less if they don't have to travel to individual places. I remember being surprised at how affordable it was for Bud's session but can't remember the exact fee. I think I see $45 behind the dust & cobwebs though!

Karen ~ Trails
&
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."

~~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

appygirl
Clinician

USA
3211 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2013 :  8:42:08 PM  Show Profile Send appygirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Chiro came today. According to him, Thunder was a train wreck. He thinks had a bad fall at some point. He was out a half-inch at his poll, out at his neck, his back, a 1/2 inch on his pelvis and his hips. Most of it on the left side. He watched him walk and said that he was compensating for his left by the way he carried himself to the right. He also discovered that Thunder's kidneys are sore, particularly his left. He suggested I feed him 1/2 cup of apple cider vinegar twice a day to help his kidneys. Anyone have any info on this (Mrs. Hook, Paint Gal)? He also suggested I back him up for about 3 minutes every day as it will help his hips, pelvis, and back.

I have him scheduled to come back out in a couple of weeks. Oh, and PG, he charged $45. Good deal. Wish my farrier was that inexpensive!

So, what does everyone think? Good advice from him?

Appygirl

The animals remember,
The earth remembers,
The stones remember,

Go to Top of Page

appygirl
Clinician

USA
3211 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2013 :  8:44:40 PM  Show Profile Send appygirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The chiro, who is also a retired farrier, suggested that box shoes be placed on Thunder's hind feet. He mentioned that Thunder's bottom line is the same length as his top line that could perhaps be a factor in his forging.

Appygirl

The animals remember,
The earth remembers,
The stones remember,

Go to Top of Page

PaintGal
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
5300 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2013 :  8:50:40 PM  Show Profile Send PaintGal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't tried to feed apple cider vinegar yet but I'd probably start with less and mix it with the feed. Once he's used to it, increase the amount. I don't know! Maybe horses would enjoy a glass without mixing it!

I was told to back Bud too to strengthen his back. Did Thunder react in any way to what was done?

Karen ~ Trails
&
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."

~~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

appygirl
Clinician

USA
3211 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2013 :  8:58:40 PM  Show Profile Send appygirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I gave him his first half cup with his grain tonight and he ate it right down. So I guess we're good to go for that.

He really didn't react much. I was ready in case he tried to take a chunk outta me, but he was a good boy. Chiro said he was walking a bit better after the adjustment. He told me to give him a gram of bute tonight to help the adjustment out a bit.

I'm wondering what's up with his kidneys and if I should get the vet involved. Chiro thinks the apple cider vinegar will help them or suggested some TMZs or other sulfa meds, although he prefers to keep it natural. He didn't seem too concerned with it, but you know me.......worried momma!

Appygirl

The animals remember,
The earth remembers,
The stones remember,

Go to Top of Page

PaintGal
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
5300 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2013 :  9:18:17 PM  Show Profile Send PaintGal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure about the sore kidney diagnosis. If his kidneys were "sore", I'd think he'd be a sick horse. I don't see how the kidneys would be sore from him being out of alignment. The kidneys are located so deep in the body under the spine & muscles that unless he had a very traumatic fall recently, I don't know how they could be affected. I can see where the muscles OVER the kidneys would be sore though.

Maybe I'm way off base (I still don't have my vet certification) but for kidneys to be sore, it seems there would have to be in infection. If there was an infection, I think Thunder would be exhibiting a lot more pain, be off his feed and it'd be pretty obvious he was sick.

Karen ~ Trails
&
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

~~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

hmeyer
Clinician

USA
2194 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2013 :  10:27:21 PM  Show Profile Send hmeyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
PG, I've heard "sore kidneys" before too and I never bought into it either. I agree it's probably a musculoskeletal thing rather than the actual organs. On the other hand, I think my brain is sore.

"You learn a thing a day, you store up smart" - Festus Haggen

"A manís soul canít be hidden,
From the creatures in his care." -
Hard Candy Cowboy by Debra Meyer

Go to Top of Page

Termite
Advanced Rider

369 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2013 :  09:24:27 AM  Show Profile Send Termite a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What kind of hay are you feeding? Old timers say feeding to much
alafala could cause kidney problems. My Dad always told me not feed it.
Go to Top of Page

appygirl
Clinician

USA
3211 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2013 :  7:28:12 PM  Show Profile Send appygirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think it is musculoskeletal, as they didn't appear sore tonight. He's definitely not off his feed and he's not puny acting. Harv, I hear ya, but my brain is numb! Termite, there is some alfalfa in the hay I feed, but not a lot, more grass.

Appygirl

The animals remember,
The earth remembers,
The stones remember,

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000