Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Saddle and Tack Topics
 Tack Questions and Comments
 MOLD!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

PaintGal
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
5300 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2013 :  4:45:12 PM  Show Profile Send PaintGal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I guess the door to the tack room wasn't left open long enough while we were gone and now my saddles & headstalls are trying to grow green mold! I've been worried about that so when I feed, I always prop the door open while I'm feeding, cleaning stalls and puttering but my Amish crew didn't.

What is the best way to clean stuff and is there anything I can use that will prevent future problems? I wanted the tack room to be "tight" so mice would have less of a chance of getting in and so far that has worked but now I think I'm going to have to add a window.

Karen ~ Trails
&
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."

~~~~~~

Mrs Hook
Trainer

Canada
862 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2013 :  6:03:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mrs Hook's Homepage Send Mrs Hook a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh dear Karen. I could have written this post. :( :( Hate to tell you but a window isn't going to help. I'm battling the same thing right now, and my window has been open.

This is what I am doing now.
- The heat is on in the tack room to dry out the humidity. It has been humid and hot this year.
- We are going to instal an air conditioner in the window next year. I know the cost of electricity is high, but I can't keep stripping the tackroom.
- I bought some clorox wipes. I have pulled the strap goods out of the tack room, and dumped them on my front porch. I sit and wipe all the mold off them outside. Then they come into the house and get dumped on the floor. That is where I'm at now. I had no idea I had some much stuff.
- The next step is to scrub everything really well with Leather New. Someone said it has a mold retardant ingredient so I'm going to try it.
- Then I'm going to mix a strong solution of javex and water and go scrub down the tack room. (More big unhappy faces here)
- After the strap goods get moved into the tack room, then I do the same thing with the saddles.

I sure hope someone has some better ideas than I do. I had to do the same thing 2 years ago.

Mrs Hook's Riding Log

Go to Top of Page

PaintGal
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
5300 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2013 :  6:31:40 PM  Show Profile Send PaintGal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wonder about a dehumidifier? My tack room is smallish so I doubt one would have to run very long. I haven't had a problem till this year but it was wetter than normal early in the year too.

I'm thinking about putting at least a couple of screens in then using a small fan on a timer to stir the air up for a few hours every day. i think it's a lack of circulation more than anything else.

Your method sounds like a LOT of work! LOL!

Karen ~ Trails
&
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."

~~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

hmeyer
Clinician

USA
2194 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2013 :  10:23:03 PM  Show Profile Send hmeyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
PG, don't fret too much! I have read on several saddle care sites that mildew does NOT hurt your saddle & tack, other than being unsightly. In fact, the conditions that cause the mildew to grow are the very conditions that the leather in your saddle also likes. The humidity is just right for your saddle. Being too dry is one of the worst things that can happen to your saddle leather. Just clean it with a mild soap and water and rinse & dry well or use a good leather cleaner/conditioner.

"You learn a thing a day, you store up smart" - Festus Haggen

"A manís soul canít be hidden,
From the creatures in his care." -
Hard Candy Cowboy by Debra Meyer

Go to Top of Page

puddleplasher
Clinician

USA
1296 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2013 :  12:14:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit puddleplasher's Homepage Send puddleplasher a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've also heard that Leather CPR and Leather Therapy have mold-inhibiting ingredients and people have sworn by them. I've just done the cleaning routine, using Leather CPR, on some old used tack I picked up at a sale, that got moldy before I had a chance to sort through it, and I'll report on the results. Maybe I'll take a particularly useless piece or two and put them in strategically mold-friendly locations as a scientific experiment.

'plash

Pepper sez: "Don't forget the horse!!"
'Plash's Ride Log
Go to Top of Page

Dani
Beginning Rider

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2013 :  07:33:15 AM  Show Profile Send Dani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've heard that white vinegar will get rid of the mold. I didn't have any when I cleaned my bridle last time and when I rode yesterday it was getting green again. I now have vinegar so I'm going to try it.
Go to Top of Page

Mrs Hook
Trainer

Canada
862 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2013 :  09:11:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mrs Hook's Homepage Send Mrs Hook a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dani

I've heard that white vinegar will get rid of the mold. I didn't have any when I cleaned my bridle last time and when I rode yesterday it was getting green again. I now have vinegar so I'm going to try it.

Dani, the last time I went through this I tried the white vinegar. It took the mold off but I now have mold again. I'm not sure if there was still some spores in the tack room, or if the effects of the vinegar wore off, but I now have a mess again. :(

Karen, I thought of getting a dehumidifier, but I got a window air conditioner given to me for free. I figure I will like it better. It will keep the mold away -hopefully - and provide me with some cool on those hot humid summer days.

Mrs Hook's Riding Log

Go to Top of Page

walkinthewalk
Advanced Rider

USA
215 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2013 :  4:36:19 PM  Show Profile Send walkinthewalk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a 37 year old "last of the big rides" Chevy Caprice Classic that the carpet always wanted to mildew, even though the car is stored in a dry/airtight garage on a cement floor.

A long time ago someone told me to spray the carpet with Lysol spray. It works to keep the carpet in car mildew-free but I'm not sure how it would work to spray the floor and walls of the tack room, throughout the humid months.

The dehumidifier that was suggested might be the best thing if you have an outlet close by.

Edited by - walkinthewalk on 09/08/2013 4:37:06 PM
Go to Top of Page

appygirl
Clinician

USA
3211 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2013 :  7:42:11 PM  Show Profile Send appygirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Years ago, I had some mildew on my saddle, and I used white vinegar to get it off. Since that time, I keep my tack in my house! lol

Appygirl

Man does not have the only memory,
The animals remember,
The earth remembers,
The stones remember,
If you know how to listen, they will tell you many things.
- Claude Kuwanijuma - Hopi Spiritual leader

Go to Top of Page

EZ2SPOT
Clinician

USA
3785 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2013 :  7:17:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit EZ2SPOT's Homepage Send EZ2SPOT a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Leather Therapy is the only thing I've found that will help to keep mold from coming back. A solution of vinegar and water will kill the mold, but then you end up with very stiff leather!

If you keep your tack room closed up, and I generally do, you can buy this thing at Walmart...I can't think of the name of it, but you'd find it where they have moth balls. It is a plastic container with a grid on top, and some kind of moisture-attracting crystals in the bottom. It is around $3.50, and when it is full of water, you throw it away.

EZ2SPOT
Go to Top of Page

PaintGal
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
5300 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2013 :  8:53:53 PM  Show Profile Send PaintGal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
EZ,

Thanks for the tip on the moisture attracting crystal thingy! I'll look for it the next time I'm there. I'm POSITIVE they'll know what I want from the description. If not, gesturing with my hands should get it across. LOL!! Seriously, I will look for it amd I think I know where the moth balls are.

Karen ~ Trails
&
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

~~~~~~
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.18 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000